The use of Information and Communication Technologies (ICTs) in agriculture and rural development has surged in the past decade. Growing attention has focused on the contributions of these technologies to agriculture and rural development. ICT includes computers and communication technology along with associated software. The activities of generating, processing, transmitting, disseminating, sorting, archiving and retrieving information constitute the information industry. Innovation in ICT to an increase agriculture production and helps farmerís in decision making in growth of their crops. ICTs have the potential to reach many farmers with timely and accessible content. But the content that the ICTs deliver has more relevance if it is localized and context specific, as this improves the value and action ability of the information, which can have important impacts on farm management. In this paper covered challenges of utilizing ICT in agriculture extension, as ICT took initiate many projects agriculture development, many of these projects were started by NGOs, private organisations, cooperative bodies and governmental organisations.
Information Technology, ICT Projects, NGO, Agriculture, Farmers
- Cecchini, S., Scott, C. (2003): Can Information and Communications Technology Applications Contribute to Poverty Reduction? Lessons from Rural India, Information Technology for Development, Vol. 10, Issue 2, pp. 73-84.
- Cloete, E., Doens, M. (2008): B2B E-marketplace Adoption in South African Agriculture, Information Technology for Development, Vol. 14, Issue 3, pp. 184-196.
- Courtright, C. (2004): Which Lessons Are Learned? Best Practices and World Bank Rural Telecommunications Policy, Information Society, Vol. 20, Issue 5, pp. 345-356.
- Díaz, A. A. E., Urquhart, C. (2009): The value of Extended Networks: Social Capital in an ICT Intervention in Rural Peru, Information Technology for Development, Vol. 15, Issue 2, pp. 108-132.
- Jefferson County Cooperative Extension Services. 2000. Precision Agriculture-Site Specific Farming
- E-Agriculture And Rural Development :Global Innovation And Future Prospects-Blessing Maumbe And Charalampos Z.Pratikakis,Dec2012
- U.S. Department Of Agriculture, Economic Research Service, Agricultural Resource Management Study, 1999.
- Rolf A.E. Mueller. 2000. Emergent E-Commerce In Agriculture. Aic Issues Brief, No. 14, December.
- Farmers Go Online In The Us - Fast. Online Publishing News, No. 16, 5 July 1999.
- Parag Bhalchandra and others, ICT for Rural Developments: A Review of Lessons, ICT Humans 2010
- ICT For National Development In Nigeria: Creating An Enabling Environment.
|Published in :
||Volume 1 | Issue 1 | January-Febuary - 2015
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Bhavesh Kataria, "The Challenges of Utilizing Information Communication Technologies (ICTs) in Agriculture Extension", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 1, Issue 1, pp.380-384, January-Febuary-2015.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET1511103.php