Industrial machinery with high horsepower and high loads, such as steam turbines, centrifugal compressors, pumps and motors, utilize journal bearings as rotor supports. In this paper Load Carrying capacity of Journal Bearing is studied by considering Sommerfeld and Reynolds boundary conditions. Solution of two dimensional Reynolds equations is done using Finite difference method and graph is obtained with help of MATLAB. Experiment work is carried out for investigation of effect of water emulsion on Load Carrying Capacity of journal bearing by considering different water ratio on Hydrodynamic Journal Bearing Apparatus. Experimental results are compared for effect of water emulsion on Load Carrying Capacity for same speed and load condition.
Tushar P. Gundarneeya
Journal Bearing, Load Carrying Capacity, Reynold Equation, Sommerfeld & Reynolds Boundry Condition
- J. A. Cole, and C. J. Hughest, “Oil flow and Film Extent in Complete Journal Bearing”. 1956
- A. Cameron,and Mrs. W. L. Wood, “The Full Journal Bearing”, p 59-72.1947.
- D. M. Nuruzzaman, M. K. Khalil, M. A. Chowdhury, M. L. Rahaman, “Study on Pressure Distribution and Load Capacity of a Journal Bearing Using Finite Element Method and Analytical Method”, IJMME-IJENS Vol. 10 No: 05.
- D. W. Garside and S. Hother-Lushingtonj- Proc Znrtn “The Influence of clearance and surface finish on the load capacity of water lubricated plain Bearing”, 1965-66 Vol. 180 Pr 3K.
- Alstair Cameron, Basic Lubrication Theory, Wiley Eastern Limited, 1981.
- J Halling, Principle of Tribology, The Macmillan Press LTD, 1978.
- J. A. Williams, Engineering Tribology, Oxford University Press, 1994.
- Nabil Motosh, “Cylindrical Journal Bearing Under constant Load, The influence of Pressure and temperature on viscosity” Proc. Inst. Mech. Engg. 1963-64, vol. 178, pp-148-160.
- M.B.W. Nabhan a.., G.A. Ibrahim a, M.Z. Anabhawi, “Analysis of hydrodynamic journal bearings lubricated with a binary water-based lubricant.” Wear 209 (1997) pp-13-20.
- D Ashman, “Investigation of failure of heavily loaded Journal Bearing.” Inst. Mech. Engg. 1994, vol. 28, pp-167-171.
- Shengming Yan, Shigeaki Kuroda U “Lubrication with emulsion: first report, the extended Reynolds equation.” Wear 206 (1997) 230–237.
- A. J. Smalley and H. McCallion “The influence of viscosity variation with temperature on journal bearing performance”. Inst. Mech. Engg. 1966-67, vol. 181, pp-55-62.
- S. Hother-Lushington, D. W. Garside, and P. Sellorst “Water lubricated bearings” Proc Znrtn Mech Engrs 1965-66 VoI 180 P
- S Hother- Lushington “Water Lubricated Bearing” Tribology international 1976, pp- 257-260.
- “The Principle of Lubrication” by A Cameron, Longman Green & Co. Ltd. 1966.
- “Basic Lubrication Theory” by Alstair Cameron, Longman Green & Co. Ltd. 1981.
- “Principle of Tribology” by J. Halling, 1978.
- “Engineering Tribology” by G.W. Stachowiak & A. W. Batchlor, Elsevier Science Publsiher, 1993.
- “Engineering Tribology” by J. A. Williams, 1994.
- “Hydrodynamic Lubrication” by Yukio Hori, Springer, 2006.
- “Fundamental of Tribology” by Basu, Sengupta, Ahuja, PHI, 2009.
|Published in :
||Volume 1 | Issue 2 | March-April - 2015
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Tushar P. Gundarneeya, "Experimental Investigation of Effect of Water Emulsion on Load Carrying Capacity of Hydrodynamic Journal Bearing", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 1, Issue 2, pp.539-545, March-April-2015.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET151325.php