In the present work, polypropylene (PP)/C20A nanocomposite films were prepared in a blown film extruder. Commercially modified organoclay, Cloisite 20A (C20A) and polypropylene grafted maleic anhydride (PP-g-MA), was used as a reinforcing agent and compatiblizer respectively for the preparation of nanocomposites films. To improve the photo-oxidative degradation of PP/nanocomposite films two different photo initiators; commercial grade ferrocene and iron ricinoleate (synthesized from castor oil) has been added to the nanocomposites films. FTIR analysis of the irradiated samples containing ferrocene and iron ricinoleate shows improved photo oxidative characteristics as compared to PP clay nanocomposites films. Mechanical characterization showed decreased tensile strength, tensile modulus and tear resistance of PP nanocomposites as compared to virgin matrix. However with the addition of PP-g-MA, an improvement in the mechanical properties was obtained due to the particle size reduction of silica agglomerates. Thermal analysis has been carried out employing differential scanning calorimetry (DSC) and thermo gravimetric analysis (TGA). An increase in the degree of crystallinity of PP nanocomposites with the increase in exposure time period in UV has been observed.TGA thermograms also indicated that the thermal stability of exposed samples were higher than those of the unexposed samples.
Kadambanathan. K, Chandrasekar. K, Muthukumaran. K
Ferrocene, FTIR, Carbonyl index, TGA, Castor oil
- G.scott,“Green’ polymers” ,Polymer degradation and stability, 68, 1(2000)
- D.M.wiles and G.Scott, “Polyolefins with controlled environmental degradability”, Polymer degradation and stability, 91, 1581(2006)
- G.J.M.Fechine, D.S.Rosa, M.E.Rezende, N.R.Demarquette,”Effect of UV Radiation and Pro-Oxidant on PP biodegradability”,Polymer Engineering and Science,2009
- C.David, M.Trojan, A.Daro ,”Photodegradation of Polyethylene:comparison of various photoinitiators in natural weathering conditions”,Polymer Degradation and stability,37(1992),233-245.
- Michael J.Solomon, Anongnat Somwangthanaroj,”Intercalated Polypropylene Nanocomposites”Dekker Encyclopedia of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology”,2004.
- Huaili Qin, Shimin Zhang,Huiju Liu,Shaobo Xie,Mingshu Yang,Deyan,” Photo-oxidative degradation of polypropylene/montmorillonite Nanocomposites”, Polymer 46 (2005) 3149–3156
- Kojima Y, Usuki A, Kawasumi M, Okada A, Fukushima Y, Kurauchi T, et al. “Mechanical properties of nylon 6-clay hybrid”, J Mater Res 1993;8:1185.
- Hotta S, Paul DR.,Nanocomposites formed from linear low density polyethylene and organoclays” Polymer 2004;45:7639.
- Galgali G, Agarwal S, Lele A.,“Effect of clay orientation on the tensile modulus of polypropylene–nanoclay composites”, Polymer 2004;45:6059.
- Zanetti M, Costa L. “Preparation and combustion behaviour of polymer/layered silicate nanocomposites based upon PE and EVA” Polymer 2004;45:4367.
- Gopakumar TG, Lee JA, Kontopoulou M, Parent JS. “Influence of clay exfoliation on the physical properties of montmorillonite/polyethylene composites”, Polymer 2002;43:5483.
- Qin HL, Su QS, Zhang SM, Zhao B, Yang MS. “Thermal stability and flammability of polyamide 66/montmorillonite nanocomposites”,Polymer 2003;44:7533.
- Gilman JW. “Flammability and thermal stability studies of polymer layered-silicate (clay) nanocomposites”, Appl Clay Sci 1999;15:31.
- Kawasumi M, Hasegawa N, Kato M, Usuki A, Okada A. “Preparation and Mechanical Properties of Polypropylene?Clay Hybrids” Macromolecules 1997;30:6333.
- Manias E, Touny A, Wu L, Strawhecker K, Lu B, Chung TC. “Polypropylene/Montmorillonite Nanocomposites. Review of the Synthetic Routes and Materials Properties” Chem Mater 2001;13:3516.
- Morgan AB, Harris JD. “Effects of organoclay Soxhlet extraction on mechanical properties, flammability properties and organoclay dispersion of polypropylene nanocomposites”, Polymer 2003;44:2313.
|Published in :
||Volume 1 | Issue 3 | May-June - 2015
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Kadambanathan. K, Chandrasekar. K, Muthukumaran. K, "Photo-Oxidative Degradation of Polypropylene Nanocomposites - Effect of Incorporation of Additives on Performance Characteristics", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 1, Issue 3, pp.223-228, May-June-2015.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET151343.php