With the passage of time the impacts of natural hazards continue to increase around the world. The globalization and growth of human societies and their escalating complexity and river flooding will further increase the risks of natural hazards. Flood prediction and control are one of the greatest challenges facing the world today, which have become more frequent and severe due to the effects of global climate change and human alterations of the natural environment. Therefore, it is important to protect people and their property from flooding, helping organizations. By giving warnings of possible floods so that people can make arrangements or move out of the area if is dangerous. Time series model that can predict river flooding using water level data over Ayeyarwady river in Myanmar is proposed. This model focus on the prediction of events and can capture the fact that time flows forward and is applied to model the spatial dependencies not only between the hydrological and hydro-meteorological variables but also between weather stations in Myanmar for river flood prediction. The system predicts water level by daily to daily forecast type for additive models in Time Series using Two-Period, Three-Period and Four-Period moving average. The system compares with the predicted results and actual weather station results. Finally, the best model will be shown for river flood prediction over Ayeyarwady River in Myanmar.
Thinn Htet Htet San, Mie Mie Khin
Flood, Prediction, Time Series, Additive Model
- S. Banik, Mohammed Anwer, A.F.M. Khodadad Khan, Rifat Ara Rouf and Farah Habib Chanchary, “Forecasting Bangladeshi monsoon rainfall using neural network and genetic algorithm approaches”, International Technology Management Review, Volume 2 Number 1, 2009.
- C. Damle, “Flood forecasting using time series data mining” , University of South Florida (2005).
- A. N. Hlaing , “Uncertain Reasoning & Prediction for River Flooding with Bayesian Networks Model”, AICT 2010.
- M.Kannan, S.Prabhakaran and P.Ramachandran, “Rainfall Forecasting Using Data Mining Technique”, International Journal of Engineering and Technology, Vol.2 (6), 397-401, 2010.
- M. A. Kulkarni, S. Patil, G. V. Rama and P. N. Sen, “Wind speed prediction using statistical regression and neural network”, J. Earth Syst. Sci. 117, No. 4, August 2008, pp. 457-463.
- D. Nayak, A. Mahapatra, P. Mishra, “ A Survey on Rainfall Prediction using Artificial Neural Network”, International Journal of Computer Applications “, Volume 72, No.16, 2013.
- S. Nkrintra, et al., “Seasonal Forecasting of Thailand Summer Monsoon Rainfall”, in International Journal of Climatology, Vol. 25, Issue 5, American Meteorological Society, 2005, pp. 649-664.
- R. Samsudin, P. Saad, and A. Shabri, “ River flow time series using least squares support vector machines”, University Teknologi Malaysia, (2010).
- N. Sen, ” New forecast models for Indian south-west Monsoon season Rainfall”, in Current Science, vol. 84, No. 10, May 2003, pp.1290- 1291.
- El-Shafie, O. Jaafer and Seyed Ahmad Akrami, “Adaptive neuro-fuzzy inference system based model for rainfall forecasting in Klang River, Malaysia”, International Journal of the Physical Sciences Vol. 6(12), pp. 2875-2888.
- T. Sohn, J. H. Lee, S. H. Lee, C. S. Ryu, “Statistical Prediction of Heavy Rain in South Korea”, in Advances in Atmospheric Sciences, Vol. 22, No. 5, 2005, pp.703-710.
- Song, Haiyan, and G. Li, “Tourism demand modelling and forecasting - A review of recent research”, Tourism Management 29.2 (2008): 203-220.
- W. T. Zaw, T. T. Naing, “Empirical Statistical Modeling of Rainfall Prediction over Myanmar”, World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology, Vol: 2 2008-10-27.
|Published in :
||Volume 1 | Issue 3 | May-June - 2015
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Thinn Htet Htet San, Mie Mie Khin, "River Flood Prediction using Time Series Model", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 1, Issue 3, pp.265-269 , May-June-2015.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET151355.php