In the last few years technology advancement of digital processors and digital storage devices have resulted in dramatic reduction in the size and cost of digital memory and digital processing logic. The manipulation and analysis of digital pictorial information is referred to as digital image processing. Image data compression comes under the category of digital image processing. Image compression is the method of effectively coding digital images to reduce the number of bits required in representing an image. The purpose of doing so is to reduce the storage and transmission costs while maintaining good quality. There are two methods of compression, Lossy compression and Lossless compression. With the increasing use of multimedia technologies, Image compression requires higher performance as well as new features. To address this, need in the specific area of still image encoding, a new standard is used, the JPEG2000. It is interesting to note that JPEG2000 is being designed to address the requirements of a diversity of applications, e.g. internet, colour facsimile, printing, scanning, digital photography, remote sensing, mobile applications, medical imagery, digital library and E-commerce. We have implemented the basic architecture of the JPEG2000 using MATLAB. It can be used for both gray-scale and colour images.
Shashikumar N, Choodarathnakara A L, Prathap Kumar B R, Ashika V B, Raghunandan G
Digital Image Processing, Image Data Compression, Joint Photographic Experts Group (JPEG 2000), Discrete Wavelet Transform and MATLAB
- R C Gonzalez and R.E. Woods, "Digital Image Processing", 2nd ed,.Pearson education, 2002.
- Ze-Nian Li and Mark S. Drew, "Fundamentals of Multimedia", Pearson Education, Inc 2004.
- Anil K Jain, "Fundamental of Image Processing". Prentice-Hall of India 5 edition 1995.
- Ahmed N, Natarajan t and Rao K R, Discrete Cosine Transforms, IEEE trans, vol c-23, pp. 90-93, 1974.
- Karen L. Gray "The JPEG2000 Standard" IEEE transactions on image processing, vol. i no 2. April 1992.
- Marc Antonini, Michel Barlaud, Pierre Mathieu, and Ingrid Daubechies, Touradj Ebrahimi3, "Image Coding Using Wavelet Transform", IEEE Transactions on Consumer Electronics, Vol. 46, No. 4, pp. 1103-1127, November 2000.
- A. S. Lewis and G. Knowles "Image Compression Using the 2-D Wavelet Transform" IEEE transactions on image processing, vol. i no. 2. April 1992.
- Charilaos Christopoulos, Athanassios Skodras and Touradj Ebrahimi,"The jpeg2000 Still Image Coding System: An Overview" IEEE Transactions on Consumer Electronics, Vol. 46, No. 4, pp. 1103-1127, November 2000
|Published in :
||Volume 1 | Issue 3 | May-Jone - 2015
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Shashikumar N, Choodarathnakara A L, Prathap Kumar B R, Ashika V B, Raghunandan G, "JPEG 2000 Still Image Data Compression", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 1, Issue 3, pp.26-33, May-Jone-2015.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET15137.php