Diabetic-related eye disease is a major cause of preventable blindness in the world. It is a complication of diabetes which can also affect various parts of the body. The detection of microaneurysms in digital color fundus photographs is a critical first step in automated screening for diabetic retinopathy (DR), a common complication of diabetes. Diabetic retinopathy (DR) is the damage caused by complications of diabetes to the retina. It is one of the leading causes of blindness across the world. Hence, an accurate, premature diagnosis of DR is an essential task because of its potentiality for reducing the number of cases of blindness across the globe. In this paper we present a procedure to detect the presences of abnormalities in the retina such as microaneurysms, exudates using image processing techniques.
Chetan Dusane D, Prof. N A Dawande
Fundus image, blood vessel, image processing, Exudates, Microaneurity, diabetic retinopathy
- The International Diabetes Federation, Annual report-2012 http://www.idf.org/files/idf_publications/idf_annu al_report_2012_EN/index.html#14
- Danaei G, Finucane MM, Lu Y, Singh GM, Cowan MJ, Paciorek CJ et al. National, regional, and global trends in fasting plasma glucose and diabetes prevalence since 1980: systematic analysis of health examination surveys and epidemiological studies with 370 country-years and 2.7 million participants. Lancet, 378(9785):31-40, 2011.
- Nayak, J., Bhat, P. S., Acharya, U. R., Lim, C. M., and Kagathi,M., Automated identification of different stages of diabetic retinopathy using digital fundus images. J. Med. Syst., USA, 32(2):107-115, 2008.
- Ong, G. L., Ripley, L. G., Newsom, R. S., Cooper, M., and Casswell, A. G., Screening for sightthreatening diabetic retinopathy: comparison of fundus photography with automated color contrast threshold test. Am. J. Ophthalmol. 137(3):445-452, 2004.
- Watkins, J. P., ABC of diabetes retinopathy. British Medical Journal 326:924-926, 2003.
- Kinyoun J, Barton F, Fisher M, Hubbard L, Aiello L, Ferris F,. Detection of diabetic macular edema: ophthalmoscopy versus photography—early treatment diabetic retinopathy study report number 5. The ETDRS research group, Ophthalmology. 96:746-750, 1989
- Early Treatment Diabetic Retinopathy Study Research Group, Early photocoagulation for diabetic retinopathy. ETDRS report 9. Ophthalmology.9:766-785, 1991.
- Bresnick GH, Mukamel DB, Dickinson JC, Cole DR. A screening approach to the surveillance of patients with diabetes for the presence of visionthreatening retinopathy, Ophthalmology. 107(1):19 -24, 2000.
- Abramoff MD, Niemeijer M, Suttorp-Schulten MSA, Viergever MA, Russell SR, van Ginneken B. Evaluation of a system for automatic detection of diabetic retinopathy from color fundus photographs in a large population of patients with diabetes. Diabetes Care. 31(2):193-198, 2008.
- Lin DY, Blumenkranz MS, Brothers RS, Grosvenor DM. The sensitivity and specificity of single-field non-mydriatic monochromatic digital fundus photography with remote image interpretation for diabetic retinopathy screening: A comparison with ophthalmoscopy and standardized mydriatic color photography. Am. J.Ophthalmol., 134:204-213, 2002.
- Williams GA, Scott IU, Haller JA, Maguire AM, Marcus D, McDonald HR. Single-field fundus photography for diabetic retinopathy screening: a report by the American Academy of Ophthalmology. Ophthalmology, 111:1055-1062, 2004.
- Scotland GS, McNamee P, Philip S, et al. Costeffectiveness of implementing automated grading within the national screening programme for diabetic retinopathy in Scotland. Br. J.Ophthalmol., 91:1518-1523, 2007.
- Abramoff MD, Reinhardt JM, Russell SR. Automated early detection of diabetic retinopathy. Ophthalmology, 117:1147-1154, 2010.
- Li H, Chutatape O. Fundus Image Feature Extraction. Proc. Annual EMBS International conference, pp. 3071-3073, 2000
- Aibinu AM, Iqbal MI, Nilsson M, and Salami MJE. A New Method of Correcting Uneven Illumination Problem in Fundus Images. Proc. International Conference on Robotics, Vision, Information, and Signal Processing, pp. 445-449, 2007.
- Sapthagirivasan V, Anburajan M, Diagnosis of osteoporosis by extraction of trabecular features from hip radiographs using support vector machine: An investigation panorama with DXA, Comput. Biol. Med, Vol. 43(11), pp. 1910-1919, 2013
- Morphology Fundamentals: Region and Image Properties: Morphological Operations (Image Processing Toolbox™). http://www.mathworks.in/help/images/ref/regionprops.html (Accessed on August 14, 2013)
|Published in :
||Volume 1 | Issue 3 | May-June - 2015
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Chetan Dusane D, Prof. N A Dawande, "Exudates and Microaneurism Detection for Diabetic Retinopathy", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 1, Issue 3, pp.147-152, May-June-2015.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET15139.php