The study aimed to investigate hydrological and agricultural aspects of prolonged dry spells during rabi season. It includes the analysis of rainfall, evapotranspiration, crop water requirements and its critical stages. The study revealed that the significance of resource-based crop-planning for tackling the water stress situation during dry spells in the region is important. The study revealed that erratic distribution of rainfall in the state and the occurrence of prolonged dry spells often cause water stress situation to the crop. The analysis carried out in this indicated that the average frequency of drought in the state is once in five years. The estimates of water requirement (WR) for Rabi Wheat crop in the order of 316 mm at Ambala to 366 mm at Gurgaon. The estimates of water requirement (WR) for Rabi potato crop in the order of 225 mm at Ambala to 267 mm at Gurgaon. The estimates of WR for other district are between the above values. Analysis indicated that the effective rainfall in monsoon often may not meet WR in drought years as well as in dry spell periods. It is hoped that this study will pave the way to estimate SIR for Rabi crop in various regions to reduce the risk of crop loss due to dry spells in Haryana state.
Amit Shankar Sant, Dr. Rajendra Prasad Pandey, Dr. N.K. Tiwari
Dry Spell, crop water requirement, evapotranspiration, supplemental Irrigation requirement, effective rainfall
- Central water commission, (1982). Report on identification of drought prone areas of 99 districts, New Delhi, India.
- Chaube, U.C., (1989). Model study of water use and water balance in Betwa basin, Institution of Engineer J., 69, pp 169-173.
- Desai, V.R., Kumar, N. and Mishra, A.K., (2008). Development of a simplified drought index and its comparision with standized precipitation index, J. Hydro. Rea. and Deve.,vol-23, pp 109-124.
- Guttman, N.B., Wallis, J.R. and Hosking, J.R.M., (1992). Spatial comparability of the Palmer drought severity inde, Water Resource Bulletin, 28(6) 1111-1119.
- Hoyt, J.C., (1936). Drought of 1930-1934, U.S. Geological Survey, Water supply, Paper No.608, 106
- Jha, M.K., Haque, M.E. and Sinha C.P., (1993). A critique of drought definition and indicators. Water Management 2(1) 27 -37.
- Khambete, N.N. and Biswas, B.C., (1984). Application of Markov Chain Model in determining Drought Proneness, Mausam Vol. 35, No. 3, July 1984, pp 407-410.
- Konstantinov, A.R., (1968). Isparanije v prirode (Evapotranspiration in Nature), Gidrometeoizda, Leningrade, 532.
- Kumar Ranjeet, Singh Ranvir and Pandey, R.P., (2005). Dry Spell Analysis for Supplemental Irrigation Planning in Ambala Region in Haryana, India, Proc. Intl. Conf. on "Hydrological Perspectives for Sustainable Development (HYPESD)", Deptt. of Hydrology, IIT Roorkee, Vol. I, pp. 473-484.
- Liu, J., Wang, B., Wang, H., Kuang, X., and Ti, R., (2011). Forced response of the East Asian summer rainfall over the past millennium results from a coupled model simulation, Clim. Dynam., 36, 323-336
- Mendicino, G., Senatore, A. and Versace, P., (2008). A groundwater resource index (GRI) for drought monitoring and forecasting in a mediterranean climate, J. Hydrol. 357, 282-302.
- Mohan, S. and Sekar, A.S.S., (2008). Management under Water resource drought conditions, J.Hdro. Rea. and Deve.,Vol-23, 2008, pp 1-20.
- Mohan, S. and Mahesh. N., (2004). Dependability of Irrigation and Hydropower during Drought, Indian water resources society, Vol. 24(3), pp 1-11
- Nalbantis, I. and Tsakiris, G., (2009). Assessment of Hydrological Drought, Revisited, Water Resources Management., Vol. 23(5), pp 881-897
- Palmer W.C., (1965). Meteorological Drought, U.S. Weather Bureau Research, 45, 58.
- Pandey, R.P., Mishra, S. K., Singh, R., and Ramasastri, K. S., (2008). Streamflow drought severity analysis of Betwa river system (INDIA), Water Resource Management, 22, 1127-1141.
- Pandey, R.P., Pandey, A., Galkate, R.V., Byun, H.R., and Mal, B.C., (2010). Integrating hydro meteorological and physiographic factors for assessment of vulnerability to drought, Water Resource Management, 24, 4199-4217.
- Pandey, R.P., Sharma, K.D., Mishra, S.K., Singh, R., and Galkate, R.V., (2008). Assessing streamflow drought severity using ephemeral streamflow data, Int. J. Ecol. Econ. Stat., 11, 77-89.
- Prabhakar, S.V.R.K. and Shaw,R., (2008). Climate change adaptation implications for drought risk mitigation: a perspective for India, J. of climate change, Vol-88, No-2, pp 113-130.
- Ramakrishna, Y.S., (1986). Classification of meteorological and agricultural drought, Jal Vigyan Samiksha, INCOH, National Institute of Hydrology, pp. 61-81.
- Ramdas, L.A., (1960). Crops and Weather in India, Indian Council of Agricultural Research, New Delhi, 127.
- Rao, A.R. and Voeller, T.L., (1997). Development and testing of drought indicators, Water Resource Management, 11(1-6), 119-136.
- Rathore, M.S. (2005). State level analysis of drought policies and impacts in Rajasthan, India. Colombo, Sri Lanka, IWMI. 40p, (Working paper 93 : Drought Series Paper No. 6).
- Sahoo, M.K., (1993). Analysis of Drought Phenomenon of Pre-divided Kalahandi District of Orissa, M. Tech. Thesis , Orissa Univ. of Agri. & Tech., Bhubneswar.
- Sastry, P.S.N. and N.V.K. Chakrvarty, (1984), Assesment of atmospheric drought during monsson season, Mausam, Vol-35, pp267-272.
- Shahid, S., (2008). Spatial and temporal characteristics of droughts in the western part of Bangladesh, J. of Hydrological Process, Vol-22(13), pp2235-2247.
- Sharma, S.D., and Nayak, S.C., (1969). Rainfall Pattern in Orissa and its Storage Needs for Assured U.S. Department of Agriculture, Irrigation Water Requirement, Tech. Paper No.21, Engg. Div. SCs, 83.
- Sirdas, S. and Zekai, S., (2003). Spatio-temporal drought analysis in the Trakya region, Turkey, Hydrological Sciences Journal, 48, 804-820.
- Tallaksen, L. M., Hidsal, H., and Van Lanen, H.A.J., (2009). Space=time modeling of catchment scale drought characteristics, J. Hdro., Vol- 375, Issue-3-4, pp 363-372.
|Published in :
||Volume 1 | Issue 4 | July-August - 2015
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Amit Shankar Sant, Dr. Rajendra Prasad Pandey, Dr. N.K. Tiwari, "Drought Analysis and Supplemental Irrigation Requirement for Rabi Crops in Haryana State", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 1, Issue 4, pp.96-104, July-August-2015.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET151416.php