Environmental consciousness has taken a center stage in the planning and execution of development projects across the globe. It might not be as welcome as it seems to be because maximum damage has either been done or a road map has already been laid for further decimation and intoxication of natural resources. Today, the act of preserving has been replaced by the act of revival, which rings the alarm bell. In such a crucial time, the importance of Environmental Impact Assessment is conspicuously self-explanatory. Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) is a process of evaluating the likely environmental impacts of a proposed project or development, taking into account inter-related socio-economic, cultural and human-health impacts, both beneficial and adverse. The cognizance of the impact on the environment because of a development project is not only crucial for avoiding the negative impacts but is also of paramount importance for maximizing the positive impacts on the environment. To fulfill the purpose of EIA, it should be thoroughly performed at different stages of development, which includes pre-construction stage, construction stage and post construction stage in the case of development project related to construction activity, which is the focus of our paper. On the basis of secondary data, impact identification networks are created for pre-construction, construction and post-construction phases, to identify the impacts. Only a flowchart showing the co-relation of impacts is not sufficient if the impacts need to be classified further. So, to identify the impacts more categorically, impact identification matrix is created. Using the networks and matrix, mitigation measures are suggested on a broad basis which serves as the conclusion of the thesis.
Srijana Rai, Rahul Singh
Environmental Impact Assessment, Rural Road, Network Analysis, Matrix Method
- Bharathi N. " Preliminary Environmental Assessment of a Proposed Rural Road Project in Visakhapatanam District of Andhra Pradesh" M.Tech dissertation submitted under the Guidamnce of Dr V A Mhaisalkar, Professor, VNIT, Nagpur June 2006
- Canter L.W. "Environmental Impact Assessment", McGraw Hill Book Co., 1992
- Rau John G. & Wooten David C. " Environmental Impact Assessment Handbook", McGraw Hill Book Co., 1990
- R.K.Jain, L.V.Urban, G.S.Stacey, H.E. Balback" Environmental Assessment", McGraw Hill, Inc. NY., 1992
- S.K.Dhameja, "Environmental Engineering and Management ", Pubt. S.K.Kataria & Sons, Delhi, 2003.
- "Environmental Impact Assessment and Management" Edited by P.Fouracre, TRL Limited - Internet
- Environmental and Social Impact Analysis ( ESIA -Guidelines) Stage three:Internet.
- Chapter 14 "Rural Roads" 14 - 28 EGSSAA Part II, - Internet
- "Guidelines on PMGSY", Ministry of Rural Development, Government of India
|Published in :
||Volume 1 | Issue 4 | July-August - 2015
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Srijana Rai, Rahul Singh, "Environmental Impact Assessment of a Rural Road Project : Network and Matrix Method", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 1, Issue 4, pp.170-179, July-August-2015.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET151435.php