Gas turbines are machines that work directly with ambient air, then anything that causes a change in the inlet air condition, effect on turbine efficiency. Relative humidity, Mean sea level and environment temperature have a direct effect on gas turbine efficiency. In this research, reviews the type and effect of cooling system on the efficiency and out power turbine. Cooling the turbine inlet air (even by a few degrees) can increase power output substantially. This is because cooled air is denser, giving the turbine a higher mass-flow rate and resulting in increased turbine output and efficiency - even as much as 0.4% per degree Fahrenheit or about 0.7% per degree Celsius. Typically a 1° F temperature increase will result in a 0.5% decrease in power.
Ahmed Y. Qasim, Saifuldeen A. Ahmed, Waleed A. Obaid, Amaal K. Jassim
Gas Turbine, Cooling Inlet Air, Output Power Turbine
- R. Espanani1 , S.H.Ebrahimi2 , H.R.Ziaeimoghadam3 , Efficiency Improvement Methods of Gas Turbine, Energy and Environmental Engineering journal (2013),1(2) P: 36
- B. Omidvar, Gas Turbine Inlet Air Cooling, The 3rd Annual Australian Gas turbine Conference, 6th - 7th December 2001, Melbourne, Australia.
- Turbine Inlet Cooling Association (TICA) white paper, November 2009.
- M. De Lucia, et al., Benefits of compressor inlet air cooling for gas-turbine cogeneration plants, in: Proceedings Of The International Gas Turbine And Aero engine Congress And Exposition, Houston Texas, 1995.
- Farzaneh-Gord, M.; Deymi-Dashtebayaz, M. Effect of various inlet air cooling methods on gas turbine performance. Energy, 36, 1196-1205, 2011.
- J. Forsyth, et. al, spray characterization downstream of the swirl pressure nozzle in gas turbine, Lasvegas,(2003).
- A. D. Hall, el al., Gas turbine inlet-air chilling at a cogeneration facility, transactions of the American Society of Heating Refrigerating and Air Conditioning Engineers 100 (1994) 595-600.
- Ana Paula P. dos Santos, Claudia R. Andrade and Edson L. Zaparoli, Comparison of Different Gas Turbine Inlet Air Cooling Methods, World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology , International Scholarly and Scientific Research & Innovation Vol.: 6 (1) 2012, p 40 - 45
- A. A. J. AL-Luhaibi and M. Tariq, thermal analysis of cooling effect on gas turbine blade, International Journal of Research in Engineering and Technology, Vol. 03 Issue: 03 | Mar-2014, P 603-610
- Meher-Homji, C. B. and Mani, G., 1983, "Combustion Gas Turbine Power Enhancement by Refrigeration of Inlet Air," Proceedings of the 1983 Industrial Energy Conservation Technology Conference, Houston, Texas.
- K.Y.AL-Salman , Q.A. Rishack and S.J. AL-Mousawi, Parametric study of gas turbine cycle with fogging system, Journal of Basrah Researches (Sciences) Vol. 33. No.4.(16 -30) DEC.(2007)
- Dharam V. Punwani COOL YOUR JETS, December 2003 Energy-Tech Magazine
- Ali Marzouk_a, Abdalla Hanafib, Thermo-Economic Analysis of Inlet Air Cooling In Gas Turbine Plants, Journal of Power Technologies 93 (2) (2013) 90-99
- Cyrus B. Meher-Homji, Thomas R. Mee, GAS TURBINE POWER AUGMENTATION BY FOGGING OF INLE T AIR Proceedings - Turbo-machinery Laboratory - Symposium,28th Turbomachinery Symposium, 1999, p 93 - 114
- Sadek, R. M., 1981, "Refrigerating Gas Turbine Compressor Air Intake," 1981 ASME International Gas Turbine and Aeroengine Congress, Houston, Texas.
- Jolly, S., Nitzken, J., and Shepherd, D., 1998, "Evaluation of Combustion Turbine Inlet Air Cooling Systems," Power Generation Asia.
-  Malewski, W. F. and Holldorff, G. M., 1986, "Power Increase of Gas Turbines by Inlet Air Pre-Cooling with Absorption Refrigeration Utilizing Exhaust Waste Heat," International Gas Turbine and Aero-engine Congress, Dusseldorf, Germany, ASME Paper No: 86-GT-67.
|Published in :
||Volume 1 | Issue 4 | July-August - 2015
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Ahmed Y. Qasim, Saifuldeen A. Ahmed, Waleed A. Obaid, Amaal K. Jassim, "A Review - Effect of Cooling System on the Efficiency and Output Power Gas Turbine", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 1, Issue 4, pp.132-138, July-August-2015.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET15144.php