In the present research, an experiment is designed and conducted to investigate the effect of Mahua biodiesel i.e. Mahua biodiesel originating from non edible Mahua diesel fuel on the combustion performance and emission characteristics of a direct injection C.I. engine under varying engine loads (0–100%) and constant engine speed (1500 rpm). Three types of blend are tested, which consist of different blends like (B20,B40 and B100) with constant 1% of additives and labeled as B20X1,B20X2 and B20X3,B40X1,X2,X3 respectively. It is also noticed that brake thermal efficiency increases with the percentage of additive in all the test fuels. The brake specific fuel consumption decreases with increase in additive percentage. Exhaust gas temperature increases almost linearly with load for all test fuels and decreases with increase in additive percentage. It is also seen from the results that both CO and HC emissions tend to decrease with increase in additive percentage in biodiesel. Fuel additive improves engine performance and lowers pollutant emission of Mahua bio-diesel blends. Overall, it is observed that the Mahua biodiesel from low-grade conventional diesel is an appropriate alternative fuel method that can bring about greener exhaust emissions and fuel savings without deteriorating engine performance or any major engine modification.
Kevin N Pethani, Nikul K Patel, Rakesh K Bumataria
Conventional Diesel Fuel, Combustion Performance, Exhaust Gas Emissions, Additives, Compressed Ignition Engine (C.I. Engine)
- G Lakshmi Narayana Rao, S Sampath and K Rajagopal, "Experimental studies on the combustion and emission characteristics of a diesel engine fuelled with used cooking oil methyl ester and its diesel blends" World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology, 2008; 37, pp 1-7.
- S.P. Singh, Dipti Singh "Biodiesel production through the use of different sources and characterization of oils and their esters as the substitute of diesel." doi:10.1016/j.rser.2009.07.017 Elsevier Ltd
- Y. Zhang , M.A. Dub_e, D.D. McLean , "M. Kates Biodiesel production from waste cooking oil: Economic assessment and sensitivity analysis." doi:10.1016/S0960-8524(03)00150-0 Elsevier Ltd
- Dr. Archana S., "Basic Statistics on Indian Petroleum & Natural Gas 2009- 10" October 2010. http://petroleum.nic.in/petstat.pdf
- A.M. Liaquat, H.H. Masjuki, M.A. Kalam."Effect of coconut biodiesel blended fuels on engine performance and emission characteristics" doi: 10.1016/j.proeng.2013.03.163 0 Elsevier Ltd
- Guyomard Hervé, Forslund Agneta,and Dronne Yves "INRA France Biofuels and World Agricultural Markets: Outlook for 2020 and 2050" (www.intechopen.com)
- Performance of C.I Engine by Using Biodiesel-Mahua Oil( American Journal of Engineering Research (AJER) e-ISSN : 2320-0847 p-ISSN : 2320-0936)
- Alternative automobile fules-supply technological & environmental scenarios to 2030. STOA 121 EN
- Alternative Fuels: Incompletely Addressing the Problems of the Automobile by Benjamin M. Shasby .
- H. Raheman and S. V. Ghadge, "Performance of Compression Ignition Engine with Mahua(Madhuca Indica) Bio-diesel", Fuel 86, March 2007, pp: 2568-2573
- Daming Huang,Haining Zhou , Lin Lin, "Biodiesel: an Alternative to Conventional Fuel" doi:10.1016/j.egypro.2012.01.287 Elsevier Ltd.
- Dr. Tiwari, "Report of Committee on Development of Biofuel Planning commission of India", April 2003, http://planningcommission.nic.in/reports/genrep/cmtt_bio.pdf
- Md. Hasan Alia, Mohammad Mashudb, Md. Rowsonozzaman Rubelb, Rakibul Hossain Ahmadb , "Biodiesel from Neem oil as an alternative fuel for Diesel engine" Procedia Engineering 56 ( 2013 ) 625-630 Elsevier Ltd.
- Swarup Kumar Nayaka, Bhabani Prasanna Pattanaika,"Experimental Investigation on Performance and Emission Characteristics of a Diesel Engine Fuelled with Mahua Biodiesel Using Additive" doi: 10.1016/j.egypro.2014.07.298 Elsevier Ltd.
- S.P. Singh, Dipti Singh, "Biodiesel production through the use of different sources and characterization of oils and their esters as the substitute of diesel: A review" doi:10.1016/j.rser.2009.07.017 Elsevier Ltd
- Sukumar Puhan, N Vedaraman1, B V Rambrahamam, "Mahua (Madhuca indica) seed oil: A source of renewable energy in India" IPC Code: F02B13/10 Vol. 64, November 2005, pp. 890-896
- Shashikant Vilas Ghadge, Hifjur Raheman, "Biodiesel production from mahua (Madhuca indica) oil having high free fatty acids" 28 (2005) 601–605 doi:10.1016/j.biombioe.2004.11.009 Elsevier Ltd
- Daming Huang,Haining Zhou,Lin Lin, "Biodiesel: an Alternative to Conventional Fuel." doi:10.1016/j.egypro.2012.01.287 Elsevier Ltd
- Anindita Karmakar, Subrata Karmakar , Souti Mukherjee "Biodiesel production from neem towards feedstock diversification : Indianperspective", Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 16 (2012) 1050 1060
- S. Jaichandar1, and K. Annamalai, "The Status of Biodiesel as an Alternative Fuel for Diesel Engine-An Overview" Journal of Sustainable Energy & Environment 2 (2011) 71-75
|Published in :
||Volume 1 | Issue 4 | July-August - 2015
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Kevin N Pethani, Nikul K Patel, Rakesh K Bumataria, "An Experimental Study on the Performance and Emission Characteristics of Single Cylinder Compressed Ignition Engine Using Mahua Biodiesel with Additives", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 1, Issue 4, pp.258-264, July-August-2015.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET151447.php