The water availability in a river influence significantly due to change in flow regime because of water transfer from external sources or regulated operations like river diversion, construction of dam, on-stream uses, etc. The assessment of impact of water transfer on water availability in the river is imperative for the planning of water allocation scheme of the river system to meet its on-stream demands. If the water transfer system is complex, then it need capable simulation tool to simulate runoff and assess the water availability in the river at given point of time at a desired location. The flow regime in Kharun river of Chhattisgarh state has been found strongly influenced by regulation operations associated with the water transfer from Ravishankarsagar reservoir to Kharun river and its supply through the series of anicuts to meet various water user demands. Present paper deals with the water availability assessment of Kharun river and estimation of dependable flow at various probability levels at different time periods and analysis of flow regime under virgin and regulated condition using Mike Basin software and Flow Duration Curve technique. The study indicated that the Kharun river is originally an intermittent river having average 1802 MCM flow during monsoon season and 2-3 months thereafter. The river receive average 116 MCM of water from Ravishankarsagar reservoir through direct link and in the form of irrigation return flow, thus river experiences significant rise in dependable flow throughout the lean period which is being used to meet various user demands. The river which runs dry during summer season under virgin condition has found significant rise in stream flow due to water transfer in to the river and dependable flow even at 90% probability of exceedance is observed between 2.83 to 3.26 m3/s.
R. V. Galkate, Palak Mehta, R. K. Jaiswal, T. Thomas
Water Availability, Complex Water Transfer, Virgin Flow, Regulated Flow, Flow Duration Curve, Probability of Exceedance, Mike Basin Model.
- R.V. Galkate, T. Thomas and R. K. Jaiswal, "Low flow analysis in Kharun river of Chhattisgarh State", International Workshop on River Management (IWRM), Dec 14-16, 2010, New Delhi, (2010).
- R. V. Galkate, P. Mehta, R. K. Jaiswal, and T. Thomas, "Water Availability Assessment in Kharun River under Regulated and Virgin Flow Conditions Using MIKE BASIN", National Symposium on Water Resources Management In Changing Environment (WARMICE-2012), February 8-9, 2012, National Institute of Hydrology, Roorkee, (2012).
- R. V. Galkate, R. K. Jaiswal, T. Thomas, T. R. Nayak, "Rainfall runoff model development under regulated river flow condition", International Journal of Scientific Engineering and Technology, 357-371. ISSN: 2277-1581, (2014).
- L. Bharathi, B. K. Anand and V. Smakhtin, "Analysis of the Inter-Basin Water Transfer Scheme in India", A Case Study of the Godavari–Krishna Link, Strategic analyses of the National River Linking Project (NRLP) of India, series 2. Proceedings of the Workshop on Analyses of Hydrological, Social and Ecological Issues of the NRLP. Colombo, Sri Lanka: International Water Management Institute. 500 p, (2008).
- R. V. Galkate, R. K. Jaiswal, T. Thomas, S. Singh, "Water availability study and supply demand analysis in Kharun river Basin of Chhattisgarh", A PDS study under HP-II, Unpublished Report of National Institute of Hydrology, Roorkee, (2014).
- Ang Kean Hua, Faradiella Mohd Kusin, "A Review of Applied GIS Based in Sustainable Water Resources Management in Malacca River Case Study", An observation Perspective, International Journal of Scientific Research in Science Engineering and Technology (IJSRSET), ISSN: 2394-4099, Volume 1, Issue 3, pp. 157-162, May-June, (2015).
- V. Smakhtin, N. Gamage and L. Bharati, "Hydrological and Environmental Issues of Inter-Basin Water Transfers in India", A Case Study of the Krishna River Basin, Strategic analyses of the National River Linking Project(NRLP) of India, series 2. Proceedings of the Workshop on Analyses of Hydrological, Social and Ecological Issues of the NRLP. Colombo, Sri Lanka: International Water Management Institute. 500 p, (2008).
- S. A. Abdullahi, M. M. Muhammad., B. K. Adeogun, I.U. Mohammed, "Assessment of Water Availability in the Sokoto Rima River Basin", Resources and Environment, 4(5): 220-233, e-ISSN: 2163-2634, doi:10.5923/j.re.20140405.03, (2014).
- O. Munyaneza, A. Mukubwa, S. Maskey, S. Uhlenbrook and J. Wenninger, "Assessment of surface water resources availability using catchment modelling and the results of tracer studies in the mesoscale Migina Catchment", Rwanda. Hydrol. Earth Syst. Sci., 18, 5289–5301, 2014 www.hydrol-earth-systsci. net/18/5289/2014/ doi:10.5194/hess-18-5289-2014, (2014).
- DHI. "MIKE BASIN: MIKE BASIN Training Mannual", Danish Hydraulic Institute, Copenhagen, Denmark, (2003).
- F. D. Wubet, B. A. Seleshi, and S. A. Moges, "Analysis of water use on large river Basin using Mike Basin model – A case study of the Abbay river Basin", Ethiopia. International Result Dissemination Workshop, Feb. 5-6, 2009, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, 2009.
- Bangash, Rubab Fatima, Ana Passuello and Marta Schuhmacher, "Analysis of Water Resource Allocation and Water Quality for Low Flow River in Mediterranean Watershed", Hydrological Simulation Model Overview. International Environmental Modelling and Software Society (IEMSS), 2012 International Congress on Environmental Modelling and Software Managing Resources of a Limited Planet, Sixth Biennial Meeting, (2012).
- R. K. Jaiswal, N. C. Ghosh, Poonam Guru, and Devakant, "Mike Basin Based Decision Support Tool for Water Sharing and Irrigation Management in Rangawan Command of India", Advances in Agriculture, Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 924948, (2014).
- R. P Pandey, and K. S. Ramasastri, "Estimation of lean season water availability in streams with limited data", Institute of Engineers (I) Journal, Vol. 84, November 2003, 149-152, (2003).
- Rramakar Jha and Somesh Jena, "Flow duration curve for estimation of environmental flows in Mahanadi river system, India", Water Resources, Coastal and Environmental Engineering (HYDRO-2014), Chapter- 99, Volume II, Excellent Publishing House, New Delhi, pp. 1053-1068, (2014).
- M. Chang, and D. G. Boyer, "Estimates of low flow using watershed and climatic parameters", Water Resources Research, vol 13, no 6, 1977, 977-1001, (1977).
- B. Clausen and C. P. Pearson, "Regional frequency analysis of annual maximum streamflow drought", Journal of Hydrology, Vol 173, 1995, 111-130, (1995).
|Published in :
||Volume 1 | Issue 4 | July-August - 2015
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
R. V. Galkate, Palak Mehta, R. K. Jaiswal, T. Thomas, "Water Availability Assessment in a River with Complex Water Transfer System", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 1, Issue 4, pp.291-298, July-August-2015.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET151450.php