Nanocrystals of Titanium dioxide were prepared via sol-gel and solvothermal method. They were characterized by X-ray diffraction and Scanning Electron Microscopy studies. The anatase and rutile phase reflections of the Titanium dioxide nanocrystals were identified by X-ray diffraction data. The micro strain value of the nanocrystals were analysed by W-H plot method. Very small value of micro strain was observed in all the samples. The sample ST-600 shows zero micro strain. The morphology shows increase of size due to agglomeration at higher calcination temperatures.
Key Words: Titanium dioxide, Anatase, Rutile, W-H plot, Micro strain
K. Monikanda Prabu, S. Perumal
Titanium Dioxide, Anatase, Rutile, W-H Plot, Micro Strain
- Chien-I Wu, Jiann-Wen Huang, Ya-Lan Wen, Shaw-Bing Wen, Chien-I Wu, Jiann-Wen Huang, Ya-Lan Wen, Shaw-Bing Wen,Yun-Hwei Shen, Mou-Yung Yeh, "Preparation of TiO2 nanoparticles by supercritical carbon dioxide", Materials Letters, 2008:1923–1926.
- Tang H, Prasad K, Sanjinbs R, Schmid P. E, Levy F, "Electrical and optical properties of TiO2 anatase thin films", Journal of Applied Physics, 1994: 2042-2047.
- M. Saif, S. M. K. Aboul-Fotouh, El-Molla S. A, Ibrahim M. M, Ismail L. F. M, "Improvement of the structural, morphology, and optical properties of TiO2 for solar treatment of industrial waste water", Journal of Nanoparticle Research, 2012: 1227
- Chung-Sik Kim, Byung Kee Moon, Jong-Ho Park, Byung-Chun Choi, Hyo-Jin Seo, "Solvothermal synthesis of nanocrystalline TiO2 in toluene with surfactant", Journal of Crystal Growth, 2003: 309– 315.
- Xiangxin Xue, Wei Ji, Zhu Mao, Huijuan Mao, Yue Wang, Xu Wang, Weidong Ruan, Bing Zhao,John R. Lombardi,"Raman Investigation of Nanosized TiO2: Effect of Crystallite Size and Quantum Confinement", Journal of Physical Chemistry C, 2012: 8792?8797
- Muneer M. Ba-Abbad, Abdul Amir H. Kadhum, Abu Bakar Mohamad , Mohd S. Takriff, Kamaruzzaman Sopian, "Synthesis and Catalytic Activity of TiO2 Nanoparticles for Photochemical Oxidation of Concentrated Chlorophenols under Direct Solar Radiation", International Journal of Electrochemical Science, 2012: 4871 – 4888
- S.Perumal, K.Monikanda Prabu, C.Gnana Sambandam, A. Peer Mohamed, “Synthesis and Characterization Studies of Solvothermally Synthesized Undoped and Ag-Doped TiO2 Nanoparticles Using Toluene as a Solvent”, International Journal of Engineering Research and Applications, 2014: 184-187.
- Mote V.D, Purushotham Y, Dole B.N, "Williamson-Hall analysis in estimation of lattice strain in nano meter sized ZnO nanoparticles", Journal of Theoretical and Applied Physics, 2012: 1-8.
- Choudhury B and Choudhury A,"Local structure modification and phase transformation of TiO2 nanoparticles initiated by oxygen defects, grain size, and annealing temperature", International Nanoletters, 2013: 1-9.
- Maurya A, Chauhan P, Mishra S.K, Srivastava R.K, "Structural, optical and charge transport study of rutile TiO2 nanocrystals at two calcination temperatures", Journal of Alloys and Compounds, 2011: 8433-8440.
- Goncalves N.S, Carvalho J.A, Lima Z.M, Sasaki Z.M, "Size–strain study of NiO nanoparticles by X-ray powder diffraction line broadening", Materials Letters, 2012: 36–38.
- Suga Priya S, Sriram R, Lakshmi S, "Effect of annealing on TiO2 nanoparticles", Optik, 2013: 4971-4975.
|Published in :
||Volume 1 | Issue 4 | July-August - 2015
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
K. Monikanda Prabu, S. Perumal, "Micro Strain and Morphological Studies of Anatase and Rutile Phase TiO2
Nanocrystals Prepared via Sol-Gel and Solvothermal Method - A Comparative Study", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 1, Issue 4, pp.299-304, July-August-2015.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET151451.php