In this work, the effect varying the copper and zinc contents on mechanical properties and microstructure of sand cast Al-Zn-Cu alloy was investigated. The tensile specimens of the as-cast and homogenized alloys were exposed to a solution heat treatment at 4000C for 4 hrs, followed by natural ageing in the room temperature. There were six different alloys and were characterized for optical light microscope, tensiometer and Rockwell B hardness test. Tensile and hardness tests were carried out to examine the effect of varying Cu and Zn contents and influence of solution heat treatment on the precipitation behaviour of the alloys. The results obtained showed that the addition of Cu increase in strength and hardness. There was accelerated precipitation kinetics with increase of Zn contents. The microstructure changes of the alloys were investigated by optical light microscope. The results show that severe dendritic segregation exists in Al-Zn-Cu sand cast alloy. It reveals segregation ("cording") within the dendrites and intermetallic between the dendrites as Cu and Zn contents were altered. There were a lot of eutectic phases at grain boundary and the distribution of these elements varies along interdendritic region.
Sani A. Salihu, Suleiman I. Yakubu, Aliyu Isah
Al-Zn-Cu Alloy, Solution Treatment, precipitation, Hardness, Dendrites Microstructure
- ASM Metal Handbook Volume 4 Heat Treating, ASM HandBook, 1991, USA.
- ASM Metal Handbook Volume 9, "Metallography and Microstructure", (Vander Voort, George, F. ASM International, 2004, USA.
- Vadim S. Zolotorevsky, Nikolai A. Belov and Michael V. Glazoff, " Casting Aluminum Alloys", 2007, Elsevier, Pittsburgh, Moscow.
- Anikumar, H. C., Hebbar, H. S., and Ravishankar, K. S.2011, "Mechanichal properties of fly ash reinforced aluminium alloy (A16061) composites", International journal of mechanical and materials engineering, (2011), 6 (1); pp: 41-45
- A.M. Zahra, C. Y. Zahra, J. Dutkkiwicz, and R.Ciach, 1990"The influence of Cu and Mg additions on the decomposition of Al-(40 to 50) wt% Zn alloys during isothermal and continuous heating", Journal of Mat. Science, vol.25, Issue 1, (1990), pp: 391 -398
- C. Grard, "Aluminium and its Alloys their properties, thermal treatment and industrial application". Cambridge, UK,1920, pp: 56-187
- Muzaffer Zeren, Erdem Karakulak, Serap Gumus, 2011, "Influence of copper addition on microstructure and hardness of near-eutectic Al-Si- xCu –alloys, Science Direct, Elsevier, Science Press, (2011), pp: 1698-1702.
- Patricia M. K., Lauralice C.F. Canale, George E.Totten, Quenching of Aluminium Alloys, CRC Press, BocaRaton, 2009, pp: 6-212, USA.
- Prabhu, R.,Ganapatly, T; and Venkatachalapatly, V. S. K., 2011 "Process parameters optimization of porthole – die hot extrusion of aluminium alloy tubes using taguchi method, International journal of mechanical and materials engineering", vol. 6 ; No 8, (2011), pp: 102-108.
- Verhoeven J.D., "Fundamentals of physical metallurgy". 1975, New York: Wiley & Sons Publishers, USA. 11Yin Dongsong, Zhang Erlin and Zeng Songyan, 2009."Effect of Zn content on microstructure, mechanical properties and fracture behavior of Mg-Mn alloy", journal of materials science and engineering, Harbin Institute of Technology (2009), vol. 8 No 10, Harbin, China.
|Published in :
||Volume 1 | Issue 5 | September-October - 2015
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Sani A. Salihu, Suleiman I. Yakubu, Aliyu Isah, "Effect of Variation of Copper and Zinc Contents in Aluminium- Zinc-Copper Alloy", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 1, Issue 5, pp.225-228, September-October-2015.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET151467.php