Concrete is the extensively used construction material in the world. However, environmental concerns both in terms of damage caused by the extraction of raw material and CO2 emission during cement manufacture have brought pressure to reduce cement consumption by the use of supplementary materials. The utilization of calcined clay, in the form of metakaolin (MK) in concrete has received considerable attention in recent years. On this matter, a study has been conducted to look into the performance of metakaolin as cement replacement material in concrete. The study focuses on the compressive strength performance of the blended concrete containing different percentage of metakaolin. The cement is replaced accordingly with the percentage of 5 %, 10%, 15% & 20% by weight. Concrete cubes are tested at the age of 7 and 28 days. In addition, the effect of calcination temperature to the strength performance is included in the study. Finally, the strength performance of metakaolin-concrete studied in this work. The results show that the strength development of concrete blended with metakaolin is enhanced. It is found that 15% replacement appears to be the optimum replacement where concrete exhibits enhanced compressive strength at all ages.
K. Rajasekhar, K. Spandana
Metakaolin (Mk), Puzzolonic, Concrete, Compressive Strength, Mix Design
- Indian standard recommended guidelines for concrete mix design IS: 10262-1982
- Concrete technology by M.S.Shetty
- Specification for standard sand for testing of cement IS: 650-1966.
- Cement and concrete research Pera; Ambroise; Marwan; effect of calcinations temperature of kaolinite.
- Cement and concrete research changling; puzzolonic activity of the kaolin.
- Cement and concrete research Dubey and Banthia’s; studied the properties of kaolin.
- Cement and Concrete Research 34(2004) 1035-104; E.Badogiannisa, V.G.Papadakisb, E.Chinnotakisc, S.Tsivilisa; Exploitation of poor Greek kaolin: Strength development of metakaolin concrete and evolution by means of k-value.
- Cement and Concrete Research (2003); Jamal M.khatib, Roger McClain; characteristics of metakaolin concrete.
- Cement and Concrete Research 33(2003) 579-584; Zongjin Li, Zhu Ding; property improvement of Portland cement by incorporating with metakaolin and slag. 46
- Cement and Concrete Research 32(2002) 1365-1369; A.H.Asbridgea, C.L.Page; ―Effects of metakaolin, water / binder ratio and interfacial transmission zones the micro hardness of cement mortars.
- Cement and Concrete Research 32 (2002) 145-152; B.Pacewskaa, M.bukowskab, I.Wilian skaa, M.Swatb; modification of the properties of concrete by a new puzzolana waste catalyst from the catalytic process in a fluidized bed.
- Cement and Concrete Research 31 (2001) 1607-1611; Xiaoqian Qian, Zongjin li; the relationships between stress and strain for high-performance concrete with metakaolin.
- Cement and Concrete Research 31 (2001) 1301-1306; S.Poona, L.Lam, S.C.Kou, Y.L.Wong, Ron Wong; rate of puzzolonic reaction of metakaolin in high-performance cement pastes.
|Published in :
||Volume 1 | Issue 4 | July-August - 2015
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
K. Rajasekhar, K. Spandana, "Partial Replacement of Metakaoline in Cement Concrete", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 1, Issue 4, pp.340-346, July-August-2015.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET151472.php