Spatial and temporal monitoring of agricultural crop is one of the important aspects for the agricultural production estimation for India. Among the various remote sensing tools, role of polarimetric SAR is being evaluated for the assessment of its utility in providing improved information. In view of importance of polarimetric techniques, it is necessary to understand the role of polarimetric indices and decomposition techniques for improved identification and discrimination of different land cover classes. An attempt has been made to study temporal changes in polarimetric parameters and decomposition algorithm for monitoring landuse classes dominated by agricultural land using full polarimetric C-band radarsat-2 data set. Various polarimetric parameters like Radar Vegetation Index, polarimetric decomposition techniques like Freeman Durden, and Pauli Decomposition have been used to evaluate the capability of multi polarimetric and multi temporal SAR for landuse identification, discrimination and classification. Along with the above work, sub classification of RVI values and scattering behavior of the major Kharif crops and other land targets has been done. Temporal change in mean RVI value from 0.48 to 0.66 allowed to demarcate the aerial extent of agriculture/ vegetation cover. Based on the crop growth cycle during Kharif season, a very clear change in RVI value range from 0.4-0.6to 0.8-1.5 was noticed during crop growth. Cotton, Paddy and Gwar could be well discriminated based on change in RVI values with respect to their growth cycle. Freeman Durden Decomposition was found to have overall higher classification accuracy of 95%, followed by Pauli Decomposition (90%) and RVI parameter (49%). Temporally, in all cases, highest classification accuracy was obtained for three date data of July, August and September months.
Bindi P. Shastri, Dipanwita Haldar, Shiv Mohan
Backscattering, Radar Vegetation Index, Polarimetric parameters, Decomposition Techniques, Classification.
- Ainsworth, T.L, Kelly, J.P. and Lee, J.-S., "Classification comparisons between dual-pol, compact polarimetric and quad-pol SAR imagery," ISPRS Journal of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing, vol. 64, pp. 464-471, 2009.
- Cloude, S.R. and E. Pottier, "A review of target decomposition theorems in radar polarimetry", IEEE Trans. GRS, vol. 34(2), pp. 498-518, Mar. 1996.
- Cloude S.R. and E. Pottier, "An Entropy-Based Classification Scheme for Land Applications of Polarimetric SAR", IEEE Trans GRS, vol. 35(1), pp. 68-78, 1997.
- Dipanwita Haldar, Anup Das, Manoj Yadav, Ramesh S. Hooda, Shiv Mohan, and Manab Chakraborty. "Analysis of Temporal Polarization Phase Difference for Major Crops in India". Progress in Electromagnetic Research. (PIER B), Vol.57, pg. 299-309, 2014.
- Durden, S.L., Van Zyl, J.J. and Zebker, H.A., "Modeling and observation of the radar polarization signature of forested areas", IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, 27 (3), 290-301, 1989.
- Freeman, A. and Durden, S.L. (1992) "A three-component scattering model to describe polarimetric SAR data", Proc. SPIE Conference on Radar Polarimetry, pp. 213-224, San Diego, CA.
- Freeman, A. and Durden, S.L. (1998) "A three-component scattering model for polarimetric SAR data", IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, vol. 36, no. 3, pp. 963-973.
- Imhoff, M., Story, M., Vermillion C., Khan, F. and Polcyn, F., "Forest canopy characterization and vegetation penetration assessment with space-borne radar," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sensing, vol. GE-24, pp. 535-542, 1986.
- Kim, Y. and Van Zyl, J., "Comparison of forest parameter estimation techniques using SAR data," Proc. IGARSS 2001, vol. 3, pp. 1395- 1397, 9-13 July 2001.
- Saroj Maity, C. Patnaik, Jai Singh Parihar, Sushma Panigrahy, and K. Ashoka Reddy, "Study of Physical Phenomena of Vegetation Using Polarimetric Scattering indices and Entropy", IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Applied Earth Observations and Remote Sensing, Vol. 4, No. 2, June 2011.
- Shiv Mohan, Anup Das, Dipanwita Haldar and Saroj Maity, "Monitoring and Retrieval of Vegetation Parameter using Multi-frequency Polarimetric SAR data", Asia Pacific Conference on Synthetic Aperture Radar, Seoul, Korea, September, 26-30, 2011.
- Varsha Turkar, Rinki Deo, Y.S.Rao, Shiv Mohan, Anup Das, "Classification accuracy of multi-frequency and multi-polarization SAR images for various land covers", IEEE Journal of Applied Earth Observation and Remote Sensing, Vol. 5, No. 3, pp. 936-942, 2012.
- Wolfgang-Martin Boerner, Jong-Sen Lee , Dale L. Schuler, Thomas L. Ainsworth, Irena Hajnsek, Kostas P. Papathanassiou, Ernst Lüneburg, "A Review of Polarimetric SAR Algorithms and Their Applications", Journal of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing Volume 9, No. 3, September 2004, pp. 31-80.
- F. Ling , Z. Li, E. Chen, Q. Wang, "Comparison of ALOS PALSAR RVI and Landsat TM NDVI for Forest Area Mapping", 978-1-4244-2732-1/09, 2009 IEEE.
|Published in :
||Volume 1 | Issue 4 | July-August - 2015
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Bindi P. Shastri, Dipanwita Haldar, Shiv Mohan, "Temporal Monitoring of SAR Polarimetric Parameters and Scattering Mechanism for Major Kharif Crops and Surrounding Land Use", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 1, Issue 4, pp.416-424, July-August-2015.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET151474.php