Due to the increasing demand for fossil fuels and environmental threat, a number of renewable sources of energy have been studied worldwide. An attempt is made to assess the suitability of vegetable oils for diesel engine operation without any hardware modifications in its existing engine construction. The important factors which influence of diesel engine are fuel injection pressure and fuel injection timing. The main objective of this study is to investigate the effect of injection pressures and injection timing on performance and emissions of the engine. Non edible cotton seed and pongmia pinnata bio diesel blended with diesel were tested for their use as substitute fuels for diesel engines. The results showed a better performance with 20% bio diesel and 80% diesel fuel at an injection pressure of 200 bar and injection timing 30° bTDC.
Honnegowda, Dr Ramesha D K
Diesel Engine, Cotton Seed and Pongamia Pinnata Bio Diesel, Injection Pressure, Injection Timing, Performance Appraisal.
- Kalam M.A, Husnawan M and Masjuki H.H ,” Exhaust emission and combustion evaluation of coconut oil-powered indirect injection diesel engine”, Renewable nergy, Vol.28, pp.2405 to 2415, 2003
- Sukumar Puhan, Vedaraman N, Sankaranarayanan and Bharatram V "Performance and emission study of mahua oil methyle ester in a four stroke naturally aspirated DI dieel engine” Renewable Energy 30, pp 1269 to 1278, 2005
- Nagaraja A.M and Prabhukumar G.P "Effect of Injection pressure on the engine performance with Ricebran oil as Biodiesel”, XVIII NCICEC, pp.581 to 587, 2003
- Bhanodaya G. Reddy, Redy K.V and Ganeshan V, "Utilization of non-edible vegetable oil in diesel engine”, XVII NCICEC, pp. 211 to 214, 2001
- Anjana Srivastava and Ram Prasad, "Triglycerides-based diesel fuels”, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Vol. 4, pp. 111 to 133, 2000
- Yamane K, Ueta Atsushi and Shimamoto Yuzuru, " Effects of High-Pressure Injection and Biodiesel Fuel Sources on Combustion and Emission Characteristics of a DI Diesel Engine”, Transaction of Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan, vol.32, no.2, pp 25 to 30, 2001
- Avinashkumar Agarwal and Rajamanoharan K, "Experimental investigations of performance and emissions of Karanjaoil and its blends in a single cylinder agricultural diesel engine”, Applied Energy, Volume 86, Pages 106 to 112, 2009
- Sawant Rath, "Performance and Emission Analysis of blends of Karanja Methyl Ester in a Compression Ignition Engine”, Ph.D. thesis, N.I.T, Rourkela, 2011
- Surendra R, Kalbande and Subhash D "Jtaropha and Karanja Bio-fuel: An alternative fuel for diesel engine”, ARPN, Journal of Engg, and Applied Sciences, 3, 2008
- Konthe G., "Analyzing Biodiesel: Standards and Other Methods”, J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc., 83, pp823 to 833, 2006
- Konthe G, "Structures indices in FA chemistry, how relevant is the iodine value?” J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc., 9, pp847 to 853, 2002.
- Shrivastava A. and Prasad R, "Triglycerides based diesel fuel”, Oil Energy Rev., 4, pp111 to 113, 2000
- Reid, J. F., Hansen A. C and Goering C. E. "Quantifying diesel injector coking with computer vision”. Transactions of the ASAE32(5): pp1503 to 1506, 1989
- Ryan III, Dodge T. W., L. G, and Callahan T. J. "The effects of vegetable oil properties on injection and combustion in two different diesel engines”. J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc., 61(10): pp1610 to 1619, 1984
- Gopalkrishnan K.P. and Rao P.S, "Use of non-edible vegetable oil as alternate fuels in diesel engines”, DNES project report I.C.E. lab, Madras 36, 1996
- Banwal B.K. and Sharma M.P, "Aspects of biodiesel production from vegetable oils in India”, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, pp1 to 16, 2004
- Surendra R., Kalbande and Subhash D., "Jtaropha and Karanja Bio-fuel: An alternative fuel for diesel engine”, ARPN, Journal of engg. and applied sciences, 3, 1 2008
- Senthil M. Kumar, Ramesh A. and Nagalingam B, "Investigation on use of jatropha curcus oil and its methyl esters as a fuel in compression ignition engine”, International Journal of Institute of Energy, 74, pp24 to 28, 2001
- Senthil M. Kumar, Ramesh A and Nagalingam B, "An experimental comparison of methods to use methanol and jatropha curcus in a compression ignition engine”, International Journal of Institute of Energy, 25, pp301 to 318, 2003
- Agrawal A.K, "Vegetable oils verses diesel fuel development and use of biodiesel in compression ignition engine”, TIDE, 83, pp191 to 204, 1998
|Published in :
||Volume 1 | Issue 4 | July-August - 2015
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Honnegowda, Dr Ramesha D K, "Optimization of Injection Parameters of Ci Engine Using Cotton Seed and Pongamia Pinnata Bio Diesel as Fuel", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 1, Issue 4, pp.405-411, July-August-2015.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET151479.php