The paper is an investigation to determine the coefficient of discharge for different notches and weirs with coarse aggregate beds and then comparing Chezy’s, Darcy Weisbach’s and the Manning’s coefficients. Prior to that, the notches had to be designed and fabricated, then experiments were conducted. Six methods were used for this experiment. The open channel on the hydraulic bench is intended to depict an actual open channel flow scenario, but on a small scale, steady flow was used for these experiments. From this investigation, it was confirmed that discharge coefficient for all notches and weirs ranges between 0.57-0.9. The bed of a channel, in this case, coarse aggregates was found to have an effect on discharge coefficient, though it is said to be insignificant. Manning’s n and Darcy-Weisbach’s f were found to decrease with increase in discharge and velocity.
Shambo M. T, Deepak T. J., Joyce Edwin Bategeleza, Abdulhakeem Nasir
Open Channel Flow, Flow Resistance, Discharge Coefficient
- LMNO Engineering Research and Software Ltd. (1999). Focus on Open Channel Flow. Newsletter Vol1, Athens, Ohio .
- (BSI), B. S. (1965). Thin plate weirs and venturi flumes in methods of measurement of liquid flow in Open Channel. London: BSI 3680.
- (USBR), U. S. (1997). Water and Measurement Manual. Denver: USBR.
- Abdel-Azim M.N., A. B. (2002). Comibined Free Flow over Weirs and below gates. Journal of Hydraulic Research Vol.40(3) , pp.359-365.
- Abdel-Azim, M. A.-B. (2002). Combined free flow over Weirs. Journal of Hydraulic Research, Vol.40(3) , pp.359-365.
- Ahren, V. 2007. Slide: Vince Ahren,“Aerial view of Reston near the United States Geological Survey headquarters," 1987.
- Barnes, H. 1967. An existentialist ethics. New York: Knopf.
- Bergmann, J. 1963. Compound weir study. Denver: U.S. Dept. of the Interior, Bureau of Reclamation, Office of Chief Engineer
- B.C. Yen, (2002). Open Channel Flow Resistance. Journal of Hydraulic Engineering 128(1) , pp.20-39
- B.C. Yen, (2002). Open Channel Flow Resistance. Journal of Hydraulic Engineering , pp.20-39.
- Bos M.G,(1989). Discharge measurement structures. International Institution for Land Reclamation and Improvement (ILRI), Publication 20
- Brater E.F., K. H, (1996). Handbook of Hydraulics. New York: McGraw Hill.
- Brief Introduction of" Code for Construction Quality Acceptance of Steel Structure Engineering" GB50205-2001
- Chadwick, A. and Morfett, J. 1993. Hydraulics in civil and environmental engineering. London: E & FN Spon.
- Fathi-Moghadam, N. K. (1997). Non rigid, non submerged vegetative roughness on flooplains. Journal of Hydraulic Engineering, ASCE, 123(1) , pp.51-57.
- Fenton, J. D. 2010. The untrained environmentalist. Crows Nest, N.S.W.: Allen & Unwin.
- French, R. (1985) Open-Channel Hydraulics. Singapore: McGraw-Hill
- H. Rouse. (1965). Critical Analysis of Open Channel Resistance. Journal of Hydraulics Division ASCE,91(HY4) , pp.1-25.
- Henderson. (1966). Open Channel Flow. New Jersey: Prentice-Hall.
- J.C. Bathurst. (2002). At a site variation and minimum flow for mountain rivers. Journal of Hydrology , pp.11-26.
- J.C. Bathurst. (1978). Flow Resistance of large scale Roughness. Hydraulics Division , pp.1587-1603.
- Kindswater C.E., C. R. (1959). Discharge characteristics for rectangular thin plate weirs. Trans American Society of Civil Engineering , pp.772-822.
- L. Chen C. (1976). Flow Resistance in Broad Shallow Grassed Channels. Journal of Hydraulic Division ASCE.102(HY3) , pp.307-322.
- M. Fathi-Moghadam, M. B. (2010). Effects of Land Slope and Flow Depth on Retarding Flow in Gravel-Bed Lands. World Applied Sciences Journal 8 (8) , pp.943-947.
- M. Piratheepan, N. W. (2006). Discharge Measurements in Open Channels using Compound Sharp Crested Weirs. Journal of the Institution of Engineers, Sri Lanka , pp.31-38
- Martinez J, R. J. ((2005)). Design and Calibration of Compound Sharp Crested Weir . Journal of hydraulic Engineering Vol.131 No. 2 , pp.112-116.
- Merritt, F. S., Loftin, M. K. and Ricketts, J. T. 1999. Standard handbook for civil engineers. New York: McGraw-Hill.
- N.Kouwen, (1992). Morden Approach to Design of Grassed Channels. Journal of Irrigation and Drainage, ASCE, 118(5) , pp.733-743.
- V.T.Chow, (1959). Open Channel Hydraulics. New York: McGraw Hill.
- Yen B.C., Akhan. A, (1999). Hydraulic Design of Urban Drainage Systems. In Hydraulic Design Handbook (pp. Chapter 14,). New-York: McGraw Hill.
- Zingoni, A. 2001. Structural engineering, mechanics, and computation. Amsterdam: Elsevier.
|Published in :
||Volume 1 | Issue 4 | July-August - 2015
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Shambo M. T, Deepak T. J., Joyce Edwin Bategeleza, Abdulhakeem Nasir, "Determining Coefficient of Discharge to Compare Coefficients of Resistance for Different Coarse Aggregate Beds", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 1, Issue 4, pp.468-476, July-August-2015.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET151490.php