Batch experiments were conducted to evaluate the ability of steel slag in removing manganese from aqueous solution. Several variables had been setup to evaluate the performance of steel slag to remove manganese from aqueous solution in different experimental condition. The variables include contact time, size, dosage, pH and initial concentration of manganese. The equilibrium contact time was achieved at 10 hours. The small size of adsorbent has the higher removal of manganese from aqueous solution compared to the large size. 1 g of adsorbent of dosage is considered enough to remove heavy metal from aqueous solution. The optimum pH for manganese adsorption onto steel slag was 6. Higher initial concentration leads to the decrease in percentage removal of Mn from solution, but increase in adsorption capacity. The Langmuir isotherm models fit well with data of Mn adsorption on steel slag compared to Freundlich isotherm model. Kinetic test using several models indicate that data obtained fit well with the pseudo second order model. Steel slag are capable to remove to remove high percentage of Mn from aquoues solution (>95%) thus suggesting that steel slag has the potential to be used in real application.
Mohd Syakirin Md Zahar, Faradiella Mohd Kusin, Siti Nurjaliah Muhammad
Batch experiment, Adsorption, Steel slag, Manganese, Isotherm model, Kinetic test
- Akar, T., Ozscan, A.S., Tunali, S., and Ozscan, A. (2008). "Biosorption of a textile dye (Acid Blue 40) by cone biomass of Thuja orientalis : Estimation of equilbrium, thermodynamic and kinetic parameters," Bioresources Technology 99(8), 3057-3065.
- Almasi, A., Omidi, M., Khodadadian, M., Khamutian, R., and Gholivand, M. B. (2012). "Lead(II) and cadmium(II) removal from aqueous solution using processed walnut shell: kinetic and equilibrium study," Toxicological & Environmental Chemistry 94 (4), 660-671.
- Aly, Z.,Graulet, A., Scales, N., and Hanley, T. (2014). "Removal of aluminium from aqueous solution using PAN-based adsorbent: characterization, kinetics, equilibrium and thermodynamics studies," Environmental Science and Pollution Research 21(5), 3972-3986.
- Aziz, A. S., Manaf, L. A., Man, H. C., and Kumar, N. S. (2014). "Equilibrium studies and dynamic behavior of cadmium adsorption by palm oil boiler mill fly ash (POFA) as a natural low-cost adsorbent," Desalination and Water Treatment , 1-13.
- Aziz, A. S., Manaf, L. A., Man, H. C., and Kumar, N. S. (2014). "Kinetic modeling and isotherm studies for copper (II) adsorption onto palm oil boiler mill fly ash (POFA) as a natural low-cost adsorbent," BioResources 9 (1), 336-356.
- Beh, C. L., Chuah, L., Choong, T. S., Kamarudzaman, M. Z., and Abdan, K. A. (2010). "Adsorption study of electric arc furnace slag for the removal of manganese from solution," American Journal of Applied Sciences 7 (4), 442-446.
- Crossgrove, J., and Zheng, W. (2004). "Manganese toxicity upon overexposure," NMR in Biomedicine 17(8), 544-553.
- Dal Bosco, S. M., Jimenez, R. S., Vignado, C., Fontana, J., Geraldo, B., and Figueiredo, F. C.(2006). "Removal of Mn(II) and Cd(II) from wastewaters by natural and modified clays," Adsorption 12 (2), 133-146.
- Das, B., Prakash, S., Reddy, P. S., and Misra, V. N. (2007). "An overview of utilization of slag and sludge from steel industries," Resources, Conservation and Recycling 50 (1), 40-57.
- Duan, J., and Su, B. (2014). "Removal characteristics of Cd(II) from acidic aqueous solution by modified steel-making slag," Chemical Engineering Journal 246, 160-167.
- Emmanuel, K. A., and Rao, A. V. (2008). "Adsorption of Mn (II) from aqueous solutions using pithacelobium dulce carbon," Rasayan Journal of Chemistry 1 (4), 840-852.
- Foo, K. Y., and Hameed, B. H. (2010). "Insights into the modeling of adsorption isotherm systems," Chemical Engineering Journal 156 (1), 2-10.
- Han, R., Zou, W., Zhang, Z., Shi, J., and Yang, J. (2006). "Removal of copper(II) and lead(II) from aqueous solution by manganese oxide coated sand: I. Characterization and kinetic study," Journal of Hazardous Materials 137 (1), 384-395.
- Ho, Y.S., and McKay, G. (1998). "Sorption of dye from aqueous solution by peat," Chemical Engineering Journal 70 (2), 115-124.
- Ho, Y.S., and McKay, G. (2000). "The kinetics of sorption of divalent metal ions onto sphagnum moss peat," Water Research 34 (3), 735-742.
- Ho, Y.S. (2004). "Citation review of Lagergren’s kinetic rate equation on adsorption reactions," Scientometrics 59 (1), 171-177.
- 17 Kour, J., Homagai, P. L., Pokhrel, M. R., and Ghimire, K. N. (2012). "Adsorptive Separation of Metal Ions with Surface Modified Desmostachya bipinnata," Nepal Journal of Science and Technology 13 (1), 101-106.
- Kumar, P. S., and Kirthika, K. (2009). "Equilibrium and kinetics study of adsorption of nickel from aqueous solution onto bael tree leaf powder," Journal of Engineering Science and Technology 4 (4), 351-363.
- Kwon, J. S., Yun, S. T., Leea, J.H., Kim, S. O., and Jo, H. Y. (2010). "Removal of divalent heavy metals (Cd, Cu, Pb, and Zn) and arsenic(III) from aqueous solutions using scoria: Kinetics and equilibria of sorption," Journal of Hazardous Materials 174 (1-3), 307-313.
- Lohani, M. B., Singh, A., Rupainwarb, D. C., & Dharc, D. N. (2008) . "Studies on efficiency of guava (Psidium guajava) bark as bioadsorbent for removal of Hg (II) from aqueous solutions," Journal of Hazardous Materials 159 (2-3), 626-629.
- Lu, C., Liu, C., and Rao, G. P. (2008). "Comparisons of sorbent cost for the removal of Ni2+ from aqueous solution by carbon nanotubes and granular activated carbon," Journal of Hazardous Materials 151 (1), 239-246.
- Omri, A., and Benzina, M. (2012). "Removal of manganese(II) ions from aqueous solutions by adsorption on activated carbon derived a new precursor: Ziziphus spina-christi seeds," Alexandria Engineering Journal 51 (4), 343-350.
- Qiu, H., Pan, B.C., Zhang, Q.J., Zhang, W.M., and Zhang., Q.X. (2008). "Critical review in adsorption kinetic models," Journal of Zhejiang University SCIENCE A 10(5), 716-724.
- Ragheb, S. M. (2013). "Phosphate removal from aqueous solution using slag and fly ash," HBRC Journal 9 (3), 270-275.
- Roccaro, P., Barone, C., Mancini, C., and Vagliasindi, F. G. (2007). "Removal of manganese from water supplies intended for human consumption: a case study," Desalination 210 (1-3), 205-214.
- Silva, A. M., Cunha, E. C., Silva, F. D., and Leao, V. A. (2012). "Treatment of high-manganese mine water with limestone and sodium carbonate," Journal of Cleaner Production 29-30, 11-19.
- Vijayaraghavan, K., Padmesh, T. V., Palanivelu, K., and Velan, M. (2006). "Biosorption of nickel(II) ions onto Sargassum wightii: Application of two-parameter and three-parameter isotherm models," Journal of Hazardous Materials 133 (1-3), 304-308.
- Wang, F. Y., Wang, H., and Ma, J. W. (2010). "Adsorption of cadmium (II) ions from aqueous solution by a new low-cost adsorbent—Bamboo charcoal," Journal of Hazardous Materials 177 (1-3), 300-306.
- Weber, W. J., Morris, J.C. (1962). "Advances in water pollution research : removal of biologically resistant pollutant from waste water by adsorption", in : Proceedings of 1st International conference on water pollution symposium, vol. 2, Pergamon Press, Oxford, 231-236.
- Wu, F.C., Tseng, R.L., and Juang, R.S. (2009). "Initial behavior of intraparticle diffusion model used in the description of adsorption kinetics," Chemical Engineering Journal 153 (1-3),
- Yusuf, M., Chuah, L. A., Mohammed, M. A., and Shitu, A. (2013). "Investigations of Nickel (II) removal from Aqueous Effluents using Electric Arc Furnace Slag ," Research Journal of Chemical Sciences 3 (12), 29-37.
- Yusuf, M., Chuah, L., Khan, M. A., and Choong, T. S. (2014). "Adsorption of Nickel on Electric Arc Furnace Slag: Batch and Column Studies," Separation Science and Technology 49 (3), 388-397.
|Published in :
||Volume 1 | Issue 5 | September-October - 2015
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Mohd Syakirin Md Zahar, Faradiella Mohd Kusin, Siti Nurjaliah Muhammad, "Manganese Removal from Aqueous Solution by Steel Slag: Kinetic and Equilibrium Studies", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 1, Issue 5, pp.20-29, September-October-2015.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET151491.php