Computational numerical simulation has increasingly become a very important approach for solving complex practical problems in engineering and science. Many of these approximate solution techniques are well-developed and possess much versatility in analyzing complicated phenomena whose behaviours is governed by increasingly complex partial differential equations. Among these approximate methods, the finite element method (FEM) is one of the most popular. Mesh free (MF) methods are among the breed of numerical analysis technique that are being vigorously developed to avoid the drawbacks that traditional methods like Finite Element method (FEM) possess. The main differentiating point between the meshfree and finite element methods is the shape function. The paper is intended to elaborate the construction of the moving least square (MLS) approximation shape function and their derivatives in one-dimension, by presenting the related plots of shape function and its derivatives; with different parameters. Element Free Galerkin (EFG) method is applied and results are obtained using MATLAB.
Prof. Sanjaykumar D. Ambaliya, Prof. Pradip V. Savaliya
FEM, EFG, MLS shape functions, Meshfree, Matlab
- Liu G. R., 2004, “Mesh Free Methods: moving beyond the finite element method”, Ed. CRC Press, Florida,USA,
- T. Belytschk O, Y.Y.Lu And L.GU, "An Introduction to Programming the Meshless Element Free Galerkin Method" International journal for numerical methods in engineering, VOL. 37, 229-256 (1994).
- T. Belytschko,Y. Krongauz, D. Organ, "Meshless Methods: An Overview and Recent Developments" May 2, 1996.
- J. Dolbow, T. Belytschko, "Numerical integration of the Galerkin weak form in meshfree methods" Computational Mechanics 23 (1999) 219-230 Ó Springer-Verlag 1999.
- S. D. Daxini and J. M. Prajapati, "A Review on Recent Contribution of Meshfree Methods to Structure and Fracture Mechanics Applications" Scientific World Journal Volume 2014, Article ID 247172, 13 pages
- J. Dolbow, T. Belytschko, "Numerical integration of the Galerkin weak form in meshfree methods" Computational Mechanics 23 (1999) 219-230, Springer-Verlag 1999.
- "An Introduction to Meshfree methods and their Programming" by G.R. LIU, 2005.
- "From Weighted Residual Methods
Element Methods" by Lars‐Erik Lindgren, 2009.
- "Meshfree and Generalized Finite Element Methods" by Habilitationsschrift, 2008
- "MATLAB Codes for Finite Element Analysis" by A.J.M. Ferreira, 2009
|Published in :
||Volume 1 | Issue 4 | July-August - 2015
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Prof. Sanjaykumar D. Ambaliya, Prof. Pradip V. Savaliya, "Shape Function for Mesh Free Methods Using Moving Least-Squares Approximation ", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 1, Issue 4, pp.477-482, July-August-2015.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET151495.php