Serum haematology and biochemical profile of weaner rabbits fed graded levels of yam peels replacing maize were evaluated. The experiment which lasted fifty-six days using 15 weaner rabbits was laid in a randomized complete block design using five dietary treatments with three replications each. The dietary treatments evaluated were 5%, 10%, 15%, 20% and 0% inclusion level of yam peels replacing maize. Results revealed significant (P<0.05) differences in all the parameters evaluated except for the white blood cells, lymphocytes and globulin. The results obtained did not follow any pattern except chloride levels which had significant (P<0.05) decrease across all the treatments (88.00 – 72.00 mmol/L). Higher values were obtained from the control-based diet in the haematological and serum electrolytes profile. While higher values were obtained in animals fed 20% inclusion of the test ingredient for globulin (32.00 g/L), total cholesterol (3.00 mmol/L), high density lipoproteins (1.00 mmol/L), alkaline phosphatase (3.50 U/L), alanine amino transferase (8.00 U/L) and aspartate amino transferase (10.00 U/L). It is concluded that there is no adverse effects of the yam peels diet on the experimental animals across all dietary treatments. It is however recommended that more studies should be carried out on the optimum inclusion levels and its suitability in other classes of rabbit.
Y. Garba, L. Mohammed
Serum, Haematology, Weaner Rabbits, Yam Peels, Serum Electrolytes
- Agbakoba, A.M., Udealor, A., Onwubu, E.C., and Amalu, C.U. (1995). Evaluation of optimum supplementation levels of poultry growers mash with sweet potato leaves in rabbit feeding. 10th Annual farming systems research and extension workshop National Root Crops Research Institute, Umudike, Nigeria.
- Amadori, M., Archetti, I.L., Frasnelli, M., Bagni, M., Olzi, E., Caronna, G. and Lanteri, M. (1997). An immunological approach to the evalutation of welfare in Holstein Frisian cattle. J. Vet. Med., 44: 321-327.
- AOAC, (2005) Association of Official Analytical Chemist Official Methods of Analysis Washington, D. C. pp. 1094.
- Archetti, I., Tittarelli, C., Cerioli, M., Brivio, R., Grilli, G. and Lavazza, A. (2008). Serum chemistry and hematology values in commercial rabbits: preliminary data from industrial farms in northern Italy. 9th World Rabbit Congress – June 10-13, 2008 – Verona – Italy.
- Babatunde, G.M., Fajimi, A.O., and Oyejide, A.O. (1992). Rubber seed oil versus palm oil in broiler chicken diets. Effects on performance, nutrient digestibility, haematology and carcass characteristics. Animal Feed Science and Technology 35: 133 – 146.
- Burnett N., Mathura K., Metivier K.S., Holder R.B., Brown G. and Campbell M. (2006). An investigation into haematological and serum chemistry parameters of rabbits in Trinidad. World Rabbit Sci., 14: 175 – 187.
- Coles, E.H. (1986). Veterinary Clinical Pathology. WB Saunders Co. Philadelphia, USA., 4th Edition pp: 328-329.
- Cox, A.E. and Garcia-Palmieri, R.M. (1990). Cholesterol, Triglycerides and Associated Lipoproteins. Retrieved from http://wwww.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK351/ on the 30th May 2014.
- Diarra, S. S., Igwebuike, J. U., Kwari, I. D., Sinodo, S., Babangida, A., Ahmadu, U., Shettima, S. and Jibrin, M. (2012), Evaluation of Yam-Sweet Potato Peels Mixture as Source of Energy in Broiler Chickens Diets. ARPN Journal of Agricultural and Biological Science. vol. 7, no.7.
- Esonu, B.O. and Udedibe, A.B.I, (1993). The effect of replacing maize with cassava peel meal on the performance of weaned rabbits. Nigerian Journal of Animal Production, (1-2): 81-85.
- Forrester, R.L., Walaji, L.J., Silvermann, D.A. and Pierre, K.J. (1976). Measurement of bicarbonate in the serum. Clinical Chemistry, 22: 2.
- Gupta, A.R., Putra, R.C., Sani, M. and Swarup, D. (2007). Haematology and serum biochemistry of Chital (Axis axis) and barking deer (Muntiacus muntijax) reared in semi-captivity. Veterinary Research Communications, 31: 801 – 808.
- Hewitt, C.D., Innes, D.J., Savory, J. and Wills, M.R. (1989). Normal biochemical and haematological values in New Zealand White Rabbits. Clin.Chem., 35/8, 1777-1779.
- Iyeghe-Erakpotobor, G.T., Ndoly, M., Oyedipe, E.O., Eduvie, L.O. and Ogwu, D., (2002). Effect of protein flushing on reproductive performance of multiparous does. Trop. J. Anim Sci 5(1): 123-129.
- Kano Agricultural and Rural Development Authority (KNARDA; 2001). Metrological Station Reports Temperature Record Book and Management Unit No. 11:1-3.
- Olabanji, R.O., Ojebiyi, O.O., Tona, G.O. and Ologun, O. (2009). Haematological and serum biochemical response of growing rabbits fed diets containing processed mango (Mangifera indica). in: Akinlade, J.A., Olayeni. T.B., Rafiu. T.A., Akinwunmi. A.O., Aderinola. O.A, Ojebiyi O.O. and Odunsi, A.A (eds.) Global Economic Recession and the Challenges to Livestock Production in Nigeria. Proceedings of the 14th annual conference of Animal Science Association of Nigeria held at Ladoke Akintola University of Technology, Ogbomoso, Oyo State, Nigeria: 170 – 173.
- Omole, T.A. (1992). The use of cassava for feeding rabbits. In: cassava as livestock feeds in Africa, Hahn, S.K., Reynolds L, and Egbunike, C.N (eds) Ibadan pp 58-71.
- Onifade, A.A. and Tewe, O.O. (1993). Alternative tropical energy feed resources in rabbit diets: growth performance, diet’s digestability and blood composition. World Rabbit Science, 1 (1): 17 – 24.
- Statistical Analytical Systems (SAS). (2001). SAS for Users Guide Statistics. SAS Inc: Cary, North Caroline.
- Taiwo, A.A., Adejuyigbe, A.D., Adebowale, E.A., Oshotan, J.S. and. David O.O. (2004). Effect of Tridax procumbens, Panicum maximum and pawpaw leaves (Carica papaya) supplemented with concentrate on the performance and nutrient digestibility of weaned rabbits. Proc. 29th Ann. Conf. Nig. Soc. For Anim. Prod. (NSAP) March. 20-25, Usmanu Danfodio University Sokoto, Nigeria.
- Van Praag, E. (2004). Biochemistry reference values of rabbits. Retrieved from http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Hematology/blood_chemistry.htm on the 7th of June 2013.
- Van Soest, P.J., Robertson, J.B. and Lewis, B.A. (1991). Methods of dietary fibre, neutral detergent fibre and non-starch polysaccharides in relation to Animal Nutrition. Journal of Dairy Science 74: 3583-3597.
|Published in :
||Volume 1 | Issue 5 | September-October - 2015
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Y. Garba, L. Mohammed, "Haematology and Serum Biochemical Profile of Weaner Rabbits Fed Yam Peels at Graded levels as a Replacement for Maize", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 1, Issue 5, pp.152-156, September-October-2015.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET151523.php