Direct alcohol fuel cells (DAFCs) are a type of electrochemical energy conversion device that directly Convert the chemical energy stored in a liquid alcohol fuel, commonly methanol and ethanol, and also ethylene glycol, or n-propanol, to electricity. Because of their simplicity, high energy density, instantaneous recharging, and presumably long life, DAFCs have been identified as the most promising candidate to replace batteries in micro power applications. The role of catalyst is significant since by modifying the catalyst composition, it was confirmed that the overall electro catalytic activity is greatly enhanced at low potentials as it enables the breakdown of alcohols into proton and electron. Platinum is used as a catalyst for both half-reactions. Even though platinum is being used as a conventional catalyst, modifications like alloying or impregnations of other elements on it enables a better and cost effective catalyst. However, their dependence on expensive Pt-based catalysts for both the anode and the cathode make them unsuitable for large-scale commercialization. This paper deals with the recent evolution of catalyst technology in DAFC. Analysis is made about the anode catalysts and cathode catalyst. Critical analysis of catalyst technology is also made on Nano structures, New Carbon Materials as Catalyst Supports. The effective composition of catalyst is identified and reported as an outcome of the analysis.
DAFC; Direct ethanol fuel cell; direct methanol fuel cells, Catalyst, Catalyst support.
- Kim H-J, Kim D-Y, Han H, Shul Y-G. PtRu/CeAu/TiO2 electrocatalyst for a direct methanol fuel cell. Journal of Power Sources 2006;159:484e90.
- L. Schlapbach, A. Zuttel, Nature 414 (2001) 353–358.
- Joo SH, Pak C, You DJ, Lee SA, Lee HI, Kim JM, et al. Ordered mesoporous carbons (OMC) as supports of electrocatalysts for direct methanol fuel cells (DMFC): effect of carbon precursors of OMC on DMFC performances. Electrochimica Acta 2006;52:1618e26.
- Arbizzani C, Beninati S, Soavi F, Varzi A, Mastragostino M. Supported PtRu on mesoporous carbons for direct methanol fuel cells. Journal of Power Sources 2008;185:615e20.
- Okada M, Konta Y, Nakagawa N. Carbon nano-fiber interlayer that provides high catalyst utilization in direct methanol fuel cell. Journal of Power Sources 2008;185:711e6.
- Yang G-W, Gao G-Y, Zhao G-Y, Li H-L. Effective adhesion of Pt nanoparticles on thiolated multi- walled carbon nanotubes and their use for fabricating electrocatalysts. Carbon 2007;45: 3036e41
- Yin S, Shen PK, Song S, Jiang SP. Functionalization of carbon nanotubes by an effective intermittent microwave heatingassisted HF/H2O2 treatment for electrocatalyst support of fuel cells. Electrochimica Acta 2009;54:6954e8.
- Saha MS, Banis MN, Zhang Y, Li R, Suna X, Cai M, et al. Tungsten oxide nanowires grown on carbon paper as Pt electrocatalyst support for high performance proton exchange membrane fuel cells. Journal of Power Sources 2009;192:330e5.
- Choi J-H, Park K-W, Lee H-K, Kim Y-M, Lee J-S, Sung Y-E. Nano-composite of PtRu alloy electrocatalyst and electronically conducting polymer for use as the anode in a direct methanol fuel cell. Electrochimica Acta 2003;48:2781e9.
- Yang G-W, Gao G-Y, Zhao G-Y, Li H-L. Effective adhesion of Pt nanoparticles on thiolated multi-walled carbon nanotubes and their use for fabricating electrocatalysts. Carbon 2007;45: 3036e41.
- Bi Y, Lu G. Control growth of uniform platinum nanotubes and their catalytic properties for methanol electrooxidation. Electrochemistry Communications 2009;11:45e9
- Liu G, Zhang HM, Wang MR, Zhong HX, Chen J. Preparation, characterization of ZrOxNy/C and its application in PEMFC as an electrocatalyst for oxygen reduction. Journal of Power Sources 2007;172:503e10.
- Myung S-T, Kumagai M, Asaishi R, Sun Y-K, Yashiro H. Nanoparticle TiN-coated type 310S stainless steel as bipolar plates for polymer electrolyte membrane fuel cell. Electrochemistry Communications 2008;10:480e4.
- Garcı’a P, Ferrari B,MorenoR,Sa´nchez-HerenciaAJ,ColomerMT. YSZ/NieYSZ semi-cells shaped by electrophoretic deposition. Journal of the European Ceramic Society 2007;27:4241e4.
- Zhou J, He J, Zhao G, Zhang C, Tao Wang XC. Ordered mesoporous carbon decorated with rare earth oxide as electrocatalyst support for Pt nanoparticles. Electrochemistry Communications 2008;10:76e9.
- Shao Y, Yin G, Gao Y. Understanding and approaches for the durability issues of Pt-based catalysts for PEM fuel cell. Journal of Power Sources 2007;171:558e66
- Park K-W, Choi J-H, Lee S-A, Pak C, Chang H, Sung Y-E. PtRuRhNi nanoparticle electrocatalyst for methanol electrooxidation in direct methanol fuel cell. Journal of Catalysis 2004;224:236e42.
|Published in :
||Volume 1 | Issue 5 | September-October - 2015
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
T. Swaminathan, "Analysis of Catalyst Technology in Direct Alcohol Fuel Cell- A Review", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 1, Issue 5, pp.252-255, September-October-2015.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET151552.php