Hermeneutics is the science of interpretation. The source material of Hermeneutics is texts and other utterances, and the goal is to achieve understanding of their meanings. In religious studies the study of texts and utterances is not an end in itself, but a means to say something about religion and religious processes in a society. Because this field of science was initiated by Western scholars in the name of Biblical interpretation and unlike very few Muslim theologians who used it in the interpretation of their divine book the Quran, many opposed it and thought it a conspiracy against Islam to deviate Muslims from true teachings of divine book the Quran. This article first of all gives a brief account of definition, types and history of Hermeneutics, how and what kind of role Hermeneutics plays in the interpretation and exegesis of divine texts; shares views of Muslim scholars about this field of science secondly; and finally give concluding remarks.
Hermeneutic, Interpretation, Exegesis, Divinity & Theology.
- Ali Mirmoosavi, (2009) "The Qur’an and Religious Freedom The Issue of Apostasy", In: Bas de Gaay Fortman, Kurt Martens, and M. A. Mohamed Salih (eds.), Hermeneutics, Scriptural Politics, and Human Rights Between Text and Context, Palgrave Macmillan, pp. 125-142.
- Conner K. & Malmin K. (1983), Interpreting the Scriptures, Bible Publishing U. S. A.
- Demeterio, F. P. A., III (Undated) Introduction to Hermeneutics, www.academia.edu/7425496/Introduction_to_Hermeneutics retrived on 09/10/2015.
- Ingvild Sælid Gilhus, (2011), HERMENEUTICS, In: Michael Stausberg & Steven Engler (eds.), THE ROUTLEDGE HANDBOOK OF RESEARCH METHODS IN THE STUDY OF RELIGION, Routledge Taylor & Francis Group, London & New York, pp. 275-284.
- al-Maseeri, Abdul Wahab," Mousuatul-Yahud wal-Yahudiyyetwas-Seyhuniyyet", http://www.kutubpdf.net/book/5205-5, p. 656, retrieved on 10-10-2015.
- Milton S. Terry (Undated), Biblical Hermeneutics, In: Geroge R. C. & John F. H. (eds.), Library of Biblical & Theological Literature, Eaton & Mains, New York.
- al-Shafii, Hasan, (Undated) "Herketut-Tevilin-Nesevi Lil-Quran wed-Din Wa Khatruha 'alal-Bayanil-Arabi Wa Turasihi", Majllah Majmaul-Lugatil-Arabiyah, Kahirah, Volume: (81-102).
- al-Shafii, Hasan, "The Required Response to Feminist Reinterpretations of the Qur’an”, http://quranica.com/shafii-feminist-hermeneutics/ retrieved on 10-10-2015.
- http://www.websterdictionary.org/definition/hermeneutics, retrieved on 11-10-2015.
- Yanow , D., 2006. Thinking interpretively: philosophical presuppositions and the human sciences. In: Yanow , D. and Schwartz-Shea , P. (eds), Interpretation and Method: empirical research method and the interpretive turn. M.E. Sharpe , Armonk, NY, London , pp. 3-26.
|Published in :
||Volume 1 | Issue 5 | September-October - 2015
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Saifullah Bhutto, "Hermeneutics from Islamic Perspective", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 1, Issue 5, pp.310-314, September-October-2015.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET151567.php