Traffic congestion increases vehicle emissions and degrades ambient air quality, and recent studies have shown excess morbidity and mortality for drivers, commuters and individuals living near major roadways. Presently, our understanding of the air pollution impacts of congestion on the roads is very limited. This study demonstrates an approach to characterize the risks of traffic for on- and near-road populations. An incremental analysis, which expresses the change in health risks for small increases in traffic volume, showed non-linear effects. For a freeway, “U” shaped trends of incremental risks were predicted for on-road populations, and incremental risks are flat at low traffic volumes for near-road populations. For an arterial road, the incremental risks increased sharply for both on- and near-road populations as traffic increased. These patterns result from changes in emission factors, the NO2–NOx relationship, the travel delay for the on-road population, and the extended duration of rush hour for the near-road population. This study suggests that the health risks from congestion are potentially significant, and that additional traffic can significantly increase risks, depending on the type of road and other factors. Further, evaluations of risk associated with congestion must consider travel time, the duration of rush-hour, congestion-specific emission estimates, and uncertainties.
Dr.P.Balashanmugam, Dr.V.Nehrukumar, Mr.G.Balasubramanian
Air Pollution, Ambient Air Quality, AQI, Sox, Nox, SPM, Road Traffic
- Delucchi, M. A. and McCubbin, D. C. (1996). The Contribution of Motor Vehicles and Other Sources to Ambient Air Pollution. UCD-ITS-RR-96-3(13). Davis, CA: University of California, Institute of Transportation Studies. August
- Salami, K. A., (2007), Emission Control Technology by Automotive Industry: Trends and Challenges. Inaugural lecture series 10, Federal University of Technology, Minna, pp8-9
- World Bank, (2003), Refining strategies and options for lead phase out and sulphur reduction, available at http://www.unep.org/pcfv/pdf/ssamayorgapres.pdf, accessed during November 2012.
- United Nation Environmental Protection (UNEP), (2007), Sub-Saharan Africa sulphur levels in diesel fuel". Partnership for Clean Fuels and Vehicles, available at http://www.unep.org/pcfv/pdf/africasulphurmatrix.pdf, accessed during November 2012.
- Dosunmu, O., (1998), Emission Inventory for Lagos City, 1980 – 2010, Journal of the Nigerian Society of Chemical Engineers, 17(1&2), pp 95-102.
- Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), (2000), The Changing Structure of the Nigerian Economy, Abuja, Research Department.
- Chidi, U. (2009), Over 7 Million Vehicles Ply Nigerian Roads Daily. Nigerian Daily Champion, 2nd October, 2009, available at http://allafrica.com/stories/ 2009100200 71 . html, accessed during November 2012.
- Das, D.B., Gupta, A.B, Bhargava, A., Kushwaha, Pandit, M.K., (1998). Quarrying Induced Particulate Air Pollution in Jaipur City, Western India. Journal of Nepal Geological Society, 18, pp. (369-378).
- Alam, M. J. B., Rahman, M. H. and Jaigirdar, M. A. (1999). Ambient Air Quality at Road side in Dhaka City, Pollution Research. 18(2), pp. 115-119.
- Rajasekhar RVJ, Samy IK, Sridhar M, Muthusubramanian P., (1999). Estimation of suspended particulate matter in the ambient air of Madurai city by sedimentation and filtration methods. IJEP, 21(8),pp .673-676.
- Dayal H. V. and Nandini S. N., (2000). Vehicular Emissions and Ambient Air Quality in Bangalore City. Pollution Research. 19, pp. 205-209.
- Meenambai T. and Akil K., (2000). Ambient Air Quality at Selected Sites in Coimbatore City. Indian J. Env. Prot., 20,pp. 49-53.
- Rouphail, N.M., Frey, H.C., Colyar, J.D., Unal, A., (2001). Vehicle emissions and traffic measures: exploratory analysis of field observations at signalized arterials. In: Proceedings of the 80th Annual Meeting of the Transportation Research Board, Washington, DC.
- Ramesh, N., (2004). Air Quality status and trends in U.T. of Pondicherry pollution research. Enviromedia, 23, 4, pp.627-632.
- Sastry MS, Suneela M, Shashidhar Kumar NP, Hussain SK.,(2004). Air quality status at selected locations in Hyderabad city. Journal of Environmental Science Engineering, 46(2), pp.86-91.
- Brimblecombe, P., 1987: The big smoke. A history of air pollution in London since medieval times.Methuen, London and New York, 184 p. ISBN 0-416-90080-1
- Waller, R. (1971). Air pollution and community health, Journal of the Royal College of Physicians, Vol. 5, pp 362-368.
- Bascom, R., Bromberg, P. A., Costa, D. A., Devlin, R., Dockery, D. W., Frampton, M. W.,Lambert, W., Samet, J. M., Speizer, F. E. and Utell, M. (1996) Health effects of outdoor air pollution. Am. J. Resp. Crit. Care Med. 153, 3-50.
- Ministry of Economic Development (2001). Petrol and Diesel – delivering quality: A review of the Petroleum Products Specifications Regulations, August 2001.
- Morris R.D.and E.N.Naumova 1998.Crbon monoxide and hospital admissions for congestive heart failure: evidence of an increased effect at low temperature. Environment Health Perpect.106 (10):649-653.
- Chiodo, J. and Rolfe, K. (2000). Health effects of eleven hazardous air contaminants and recommended evaluation criteria. Ministry for the Environment Air Quality Technical Report No. 13, October 2000.
- Katsouyanni, K., Touloumi, G., Spix, C., Schwartz, J, Balbucci, F., Medina, S, Rossi, G.,Wojtyniak, B., Sunyer, J., Bacharova, L., Schouten, J.P., Ponka, A., and Anderson, H.R.(1997). Short-term effects of ambient sulphur dioxide and particulate matter on mortality in 12 European cities: results from time series data from the APHEA project, British Medical Journal, Vol. 314 (7095), pp 1658-1663.
- Streeton, J.A. (1997). A Review of Existing Health Data on Six Air Pollutants. A report to the National Environment Protection Council, Australia.
|Published in :
||Volume 1 | Issue 6 | November-December - 2015
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Dr.P.Balashanmugam, Dr.V.Nehrukumar, Mr.G.Balasubramanian, "Assessment of Semi-Urban Air Pollution and Its Health Impacts Due to Vehicular Traffic Emissions in Chidambaram Town, Tamilnadu, India", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 1, Issue 6, pp.12-21, November-December-2015.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET151593.php