This work studied the effect of microalloying on the microstructure and mechanical properties of Al. 4%Zn alloy. The mechanical properties studied were yield and ultimate tensile strength, % elongation, compressive strength and hardness. The tests were conducted using the ASTM E8, E10 and E20 standards. Microstructural analysis was done using metallurgical microscope model Olympus PMA-3 and the micrographs were obtained with an attached camera. The results obtained showed that nickel and chromium modified the structure of the studied alloy and therefore improved the mechanical properties.
W. C. Okafor, J. U. Odo, E. E. Nnuka
Nickel, Chromium, Microstructure, aluminium, ASTM, SFE, UTS, CBR, PMA
- Gayle, F.W. and Vadersande, J.B. (1986). “Proceedings of international conference on aluminium alloys, their physical and mechanical properties. Volume 727, Waley Engineering Materials Service, 456-467.
- Nnuka, E.E. (1985). Investigation and design of metallurgical ways of improving the mechanical properties of aluminium alloys. Ph.D. Thesis Minsk USSR, 250 pp.
- Nnuka, E. E. and Aniedi E. (1990) “Texture, composition sensitive structure and mechanical properties of Al – Cu and Al – Zn alloys system” The Nigerian Engineer, Vol. 25. No. 1 pp. 23 - 30.
- Nnuka, E.E. (1991). The effect of microadditives on the quality and distribution pattern of secondary phase in Al-Cu alloy system. The Nigerian Engineer, 26(3); 30 – 37.
- Nnuka, E. E., Onwu, C. and Nwankwo, A. (2004). The physics of the action of dopants on cast aluminium and some of its alloys. Journal of Science and Technology Research. Vol.3 No.1 (ISSN 1596-9619).
- Polmer I.J. (2009), Light Alloys: Metallurgy of Light Metals (3rd ed.), Butterworth-Heinemann. ISBN 978-0-340-63207-9.
- Rudninski, F.I. Chichko, A.N., Nnuka, E.E. (1985). “The Influence of modifications on the mechanical and physical properties of alloys”. Metallurgical, Minsk No. 19, pp. 62 – 63.
- Soo Woo Nam and Duck Hee Lee (2006). The Effect of Mn on the mechanical behaviour of aluminum alloys: Metals and Materials, Vol. 6. No 1 pp 13 -16.
- Wang S.Q., Schnneider M., Ye H.Q. and Gottestein G. (2004). First principle study of the formation of Guinier-Perston zones in Al-Cu alloys. Scripta Materialia, Vol. 51 pp. 655-669.
|Published in :
||Volume 1 | Issue 6 | November-December - 2015
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
W. C. Okafor, J. U. Odo, E. E. Nnuka, "Effect of Nickel and Chromium Addition on the Microstructure and Mechanical Properties of Aluminium - 4% Zinc Alloy ", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 1, Issue 6, pp.570-579, November-December-2015.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET151617.php