The research work examined the effect of the removal of iron from aluminium-silicon alloys using dopants on the structure and mechanical properties. Manganese, cobalt and molybdenum were used as the modifying elements. The as-cast Al - Si alloys were analyzed for iron content using Atomic Absorption Spectrometer (AAS) technique. The dopants or modifying elements were added as micro additives at various compositions to the percentage of iron present in the master alloys. The modified alloys were produced by melting a calculated mass of the master alloys and adding the dopants in the ratios of 1:1, 2:1, 3:1 and 4.1 to the percentage of iron in the Al - Si alloy. The properties tested were ultimate tensile strength, percentage elongation, hardness and microstructure. The result of the chemical analysis of the alloys indicated that the dopants were able to reduce the percentage of iron in the alloys. On addition of 5.4%Co iron was reduced from 1.8% to 0.42%, which is far less than the critical iron level of 0.78%. The mechanical tests showed an improvement with the highest values achieved by the addition of 5.4%Co. The improvement in the microstructure is also shown in plates 1-8.
J. U. Odo, K.C. Nnakwo, S.M.O. Obiorah, C.N. Mbah, C.O. Nwoye, A.C. Ifejika
Micro Additives; Microstructure; Hardness; Strength; Composition
- Agbo, J.U. (2004). Effect of modification of the structures of iron and silicon on the mechanical properties of eutectic aluminium-silicon alloy. PGD Thesis, University of Agriculture Makurdi Nigeria, Unpublished.
- ASTM: American Society of Testing Materials.http://www.astm.org.mechanical/physicaltest.asp?
- Barresi, J. et al. (1992). Machining of Al-Si alloys. Institute of Metals and Materials, Australia. The Materials Society of the IE Aust. pp. 1-12.
- Henkel D. and Pense A. (2002). Structure and Properties of Engineering Materials. McGraw Hill. Higher Education Publishers, New York, pp 279-302.
- Lifeng Z. and Damoah, L.N. (2011). Current technologies for the removal of iron from aluminium alloys. The Minerals Metals and Materials Science, pp 757-762.
- Mbuya, T.O. (2003). ‘Influence of iron on castability and properties of aluminium silicon alloy; Literature Review: International Journal of Cast Metals Research. 16(5), pp, 451-465.
- Mukaiyama, A. and Kumai, S. (2007). Problem of iron percentage on the mechanical properties of aluminium-silicon alloys. Journal of Materials Science JFS 79, pp. 671-675.
- Nnuka, E.E. (1985a). The influence of modificators on the mechanical and physical properties of alloys. Metallurgia, Minisk, No. 19, pp. 62-63.
- Nnuka, E.E. (1985b). Investigations and design of metallurgical ways of improving the mechanical properties of aluminium alloys. Ph.D. Thesis, Minsk USSR, p. 250. Unpublished.
- Nwambu C.N. (2014). Effects of inoculants on the structure and mechanical properties of Al-12.5%Si eutectic alloys. M.Eng Thesis. Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka Nigeria pp. 19-48. Unpublished.
- Roy N. (1996). Porosity formation in Al-9wt% Si-3wt%Cu alloy systems: ‘Metallographic Observations Metallurgy/Materials Transaction A., 27A. pp 415-29.
- Tanaka, T.H., Zhu, S. Kumai and Sato, A. (2004). Materials Science Transactions, M45 1714-1721.
- Thompson, R.C. (2006). Characterization of intermetallic phases in multi-component Al-Si alloys for engineering applications. Materials Science FORUM. J19-52, 359, 64.
- Voreen, O. (1984). Microstructures and mechanical properties of Al-Si (Mg) casting alloys; AFS Transactions, 92, pp.1551-58.
|Published in :
||Volume 1 | Issue 6 | November-December - 2015
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
J. U. Odo, K.C. Nnakwo, S.M.O. Obiorah, C.N. Mbah, C.O. Nwoye, A.C. Ifejika, "Effect of IRON Removal on the Structure and Mecahnical Properties of Aluminium-Silicon Alloys", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 1, Issue 6, pp.555-562, November-December-2015.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET151618.php