Statically Indeterminate structures that can more frequently occur in practice than the statically determinate ones are more economical because of their higher strength and stiffness. The choice between statically determinate and statically indeterminate structure depends on to largely the purpose for which a particular structure is required. These days, practically all major buildings are framed structures. Rigid jointed reinforced concrete frames are mostly used for High-Rise buildings, industrial structures, multilevel parking structures etc. The rigid High- rise building frames made with beam-column joints can resist bending moment, shear and axial forces, thus resulting in a highly indeterminate structure. Analysis of frame is possible through Kani’s method or matrix methods, but solution by iteration or equation solving or matrix inversion process is tedious and time consuming for several loading cases. For quick analysis, design engineers use the approximate methods of analysis. The authors evolved novel approximate method is very useful to design engineers because substitute frame can quickly analyze with almost 90 to 95 % accuracy in comparison to exact analysis.The analysis steps are demonstrated with substitute frame example.
Dipak J Varia, Dr. Harshvadan S Patel
Approximate Analysis, Substitute Frame, High-Rise Building, Relative Deformation Co-Efficient.
- Kanat Burak Bozdogan and Duygu Ozturk, “An approximate method for free vibration analysis of Multi-bay coupled shear walls,” Mathematical and computational applications, vol. 12,2007, pp. 41–50.
- J.C.D. Hoenderkamp and H.H. Snijder,”Approximate analysis of high-rise frames with flexible connections,”The structural design of tall buildings,9,2000, pp.233–248.
- R.A.Behr,C.H.Goodspeed and R.M.Henry, “Potential errors in approximate methods of structural analysis,” in J.Struct.Eng,1989, pp. 1002–1005.
- R.A. Behr,E.J. Grotton and C.A. Dwinal, “Revised method of approximate structural analysis,” in J. Struct. Eng,1990,pp.3242-3247.
- Okonkwo V.O,Aginam C.H and Chidolue C.A, “Analysis of internal support moments of continuous beams of equal spans using simplified mathematical model approach,” Journal of sciences and multidisciplinary research,volume 2,2010,pp.72-80.
- Life John and Dr. M.G. Rajendran, “Comparative studies on exact and approximate methods of structural analysis,”International journal of engineering research and applicaations(IJERA),Vol 3,Issue 2,2013, pp. 764–769.
- S.N.Khuda and A.M. Anwar,”Design aid for continuous beams,”Military institute of science and technology.
- Jacks R Benjamin, Statically Indeterminate structures, Mc-Graw hill book company, New York.:
- Reddy C S, Basic structural analysis, Tata Mc-Graw hill book company, New Delhi.
- Wang C K, Indeterminate structural analysis, Mc- Graw hill international book company, New York.
- Dr, R Vaidyanathan and Dr. P Perumal,Structural analysis, Laxmi publications Ltd., New Delhi.
- R.C.Hibbeler,Structural analysis, Pearson Prentice Hall., New Delhi.
|Published in :
||Volume 1 | Issue 6 | November-December - 2015
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Dipak J Varia, Dr. Harshvadan S Patel, "A Novel Approximate Method for Analysis of High-Rise building Frames", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 1, Issue 6, pp.173-176, November-December-2015.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET151635.php