N-[(propan-2-ylidene) amino] thiourea an organic crystal which is grown by solution growth technique by adopting slow evaporation method from the solvent methanol.Nucleation parameters such as metastable zone width, induction period and interfacial energy have been determined for N-[(propan-2-ylidene) amino] thiourea single crystals. The induction period was measured at various super saturations and hence the interfacial energies were evaluated. Using the interfacial tension value, the nucleation parameters such as radius of the critical nuclei(r*), the Gibbs free energy for the formation of a critical nucleus (ΔG*) and the number of molecules in the critical nucleus (i*) were also calculated for methanol at two different temperatures. The effect of surface tension, viscosity and density of these solvents are correlated with interfacial tension. FT-IR studies confirm the structure and presence of functional groups in the grown crystals. The optical transparency was examined by UV-Spectral analysis. The grown crystal was examined by X-ray diffraction to determine its crystalline nature. Second harmonic generation efficiency of the powdered N-[(propan-2-ylidene) amino] thioureawas tested using Nd:YAG laser and it is found to be 1.8 times that of potassium dihydrogen phosphate
G. V. Pandian, I. John David Ebenezar, P. Anbusrinivasan
Nucleation, induction period, Solubility, SHG efficiency
- Vijayan. N, Ramesh Babu. R, Gunasekaran. M, Gopalakrishnan. R Ramasamy. P “Growth optical, thermal and mechanical studies of methyl 4-hydroxybenzoate single crystals, J. Cryst. Growth, 256 ( 2003) 174–182.
- LakshmanaPerumal.C.K, Arulchakkaravarthi.A, Santhanaraghavan.P,Ramasamy.P , “Growth and characterization of methyl-p-hydroxybenzoate (p-MHB): a non-linear optical material “ J. Cryst.Growth 241 (2002) 200–205.
- Narayanamoolaya. B. Dharmaprakash. S. M. Synthesis, growth and characterization of nonlinear optical crystal L-tyrosinehydrobromide. Crystal growth 290 (2006) 498-503.
- Madhurambal. G,Ramasamy.P, Anbusrinivasan.P, Vasudevan. G, Kavitha. S, Mojumdar. SC, Growth and characterization studies of 2- bromo-4”- Chloro-acetophenone (BCAP) crystals . J Therm Anal calorim 2008; 94:59-62.
- Anbusrinivasan. P, Madhurambal. G, Mojumdar. SC, Thermal and spectral properties and induction period, Intrafacial energy and nucleation parameters of solution grown Anthracene : J Therm Anal Calorim 2012 (108) 939-46.
- Santhakumari.R,Ramamurthy.K.Structural,Thermal and optical characterization of an organic Nlo material Benzaldehyde, Thiosemicarbazonemonohydrate single crystals Spectro chemical Acta part A : 78 (2011) 653-659..
- Wiliredo Hermandeza, Juanpaz, AbrahamVaisberg, Evgenia Spodine, Rainer Richter and lothar Beyer, Synthesis, Characterization and in Vitro Cytotoxic Activities of Benzaldehyde Thiosemicarbazone Derivatives and their Palladium (II) complexes against various Human Tumor cell lines, BioinorgchemAppl-v 2008, 2008, PMC2615113.
- Formation charectrisation and structural studies of novel thiosemicarbazone Palladium (II) complexes. Vila JM, Pereira Mat, Ortigueira JM, etal. J. Chemicalsocity, Dalton Transations 1999 (23) 4193-4201.
- Sethuraman K, Ramesh babu K, Vijayan N, Gobalakrishnan R, Ramasamy P, Synthesis, growth of organic nonlinear optical crystal; Semicarbazone of 2-amino 5 chloro benzophenone(S2A5CB) and its characterization. Crystal growth 2006 (290) 539-543.
- Janarthanam S. Rajan Y.C, Umarani P.R, Selvakumar S, Pandi S Synthesis and characterization of Semicarbazone p-Hydroxy-3-Methoxy acetophenone (SPH3MA) Single crystal.Physica.B-condenced matter 2011( 406) 135-138.
- Mojumdar SC. Thermoanalytical and IR spectroscopy investigation of Mg(II) complexes with hetrocyclic ligands .J Therm Anal Calorim.2001(64) 629-36.
- Madhurambal G, Mojumdar SC, Hariharan S, Ramasamy P, TG, DTC, FT-IR and Raman spectral analysis of ZN\Mg, 12Ammoniumsulphate mixed crystals; J Therm Anal Calorim 2004 (78) 125-33.
- Sweta M, TamusreeK, Growth and characterization of nonlinear optical crystal Zinc tris (thiourea) sulphate in presence of L-arginate. Optical mat 2007; 30: 508-512.
- Ramalingam. S, Anbusrinivasan.P, Periandy.S : FT-IR and FT-Raman Spectral Investigation, Computed IR-Intensity and Raman activity analysis and frequency estimation analysis on 4-chloro-2-bromoacetophenone was HF and DFT calculations; Spectrochimica Act a part A 2011(78) 826-34.
- Preema. c Thomas, Langabhushankumar, A. Anuradha. S.Aruna, Ginson P. Joseph, P. Sagayaraj, Growth and characterization of nonlinear optical single crystals of L-argininediiodate, J. crystal growth 2006(290) 560-564.
- Jayalakshmi D, Kumar J. Growth and characterization of bisthiourea Zinc acetate ,Cryst Res Technol , 2006 : 41,37-40.
- L. R. Dalton, S. J. Benight, L. E. Johnson et al., “Systematic nano-engineering of soft matter organic electro-optic materials,” Chemistry of Materials, vol. 23, pp. 430–445, 2011.
- William Kemp, Organic spectroscopy Third edition-1991
- Rao CNR. Ultraviolet and visible Spectroscopy, Chemicalapplications. New York Plenum Press 1975.
- Sawant SY Verenkar VMS, Mojumdar SC. Preparation, Thermal, XRD, chemical and spectral analysis of NiMn2O4 nanoparticles and respective precursor; J Therm Anal Calorim 2007 (90) 669-672.
- T. UmaDevi, N. Lawrence, R. RameshBabu, K. Ramamurthi, Growth and characterization of Glycine picrate single crystal, SpectrochimicaActa part A 71 (2008) 340-343.
- Ravindrachary V, Bajantri R F, Richard Goncalves, Growth and characterization of an organic NLO Crystals 1-(4-methyl phenyl ) -3-(4- methoxy phenyl) -2-propene -3-one. J. Crystal growth , 2004 (267) 129-133.
- G. F. Renoylds in D.Fox .A. Weiss Berger M.M. Labes (Eds) Physics advance Chemistry of the organic Solid States Vol.1.Wileley Interscience New York 1963 pp 223-286.
- G. Arunmozhi, R. Jayavel, C. Subramanian, “Experimental determination of metastable zone width, induction period and interfacial energy of LAP family crystals”Journal of Crystal Growth178(3): 91997) 387-392
- D. Jayalakshmi, R. Sankar, R. Jayavel, J. Kumar Metastable zone width, induction period and interfacial energy of bisthiourea zinc acetate (BTZA) J.Cryst. Growth ; 276(1): (2005) 243-246.
- K. Selvaraju, R. Valluvan, S. Kumararaman, “Experimental determination of metastable zone width, induction period, interfacial energy and growth of nonlinear optical Hippuric acid single crystal”Materials Letters; 60(12):92006) 1549-1553.
- A. Mersmann, K. Bartosch, “How to predict the metastable zone width”,Journal of Crystal Growth,Volume 183, Issues 1–2, 1 January 1998, Pages 240–250
- P.M Ushasree, R Muralidharan, R Jayavel, P Ramasamy Metastablezone width, induction period and interfacial energy of zinc tris(thiourea) sulfate,Journal of Crystal GrowthVolume 210, Issue 4, March 2000, Pages 741–745.
- T. Kanagasekaran, M. Gunasekaran, P. Srinivasan, D. Jayaraman, R. Gopalakrishnanand P. Ramasamy“ Studies on growth, induction period, interfacial energy and metastable zonewidth of m-nitroaniline”,Cryst.Res.TechVolume 40, Issue 12, pages 1128–1133, December 2005
- K. Selvaraju, R.Valluvan, S. Kumararaman, Experimental determination of metastable zonewidth, induction period, interfacial energy and growth of non-linear optical L-Glutamic Acid Hydrochloride single crystals, Materials Letters, 60,( 2006), 1565–1569
- K.V Rajendran, R Rajasekaran, D Jayaraman, RJayavel, PRamasamy, Experimental determination of metastable zonewidth, induction period, interfacial energy and growth of non-linear optical L-HFB single crystals,Materials Chemistry and Physics 81, ( 2003), 50–55.
- Kurtz S. K, Perry T. T, J. Appl. Phys. 39(1968) 3798-3813
|Published in :
||Volume 1 | Issue 6 | November-December - 2015
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
G. V. Pandian, I. John David Ebenezar, P. Anbusrinivasan, "Experimental determination of metastable zone width, induction period, interfacial energy, growth and SHG efficiency of N-[(propan-2-ylidene) amino] thiourea", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 1, Issue 6, pp.203-208, November-December-2015.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET151636.php