During April 2015 Nepal Earthquake, many elevated buildings in urban areas collapsed and suffered wide spread damages. After the earthquake observations shows many deficiencies in these structures including non-adoption of seismic engineering practices and lack of seismic resistant features. By adopting energy absorbing devices the seismic performance of building can be improved, which may be active or passive in nature. Active controls do not found much application due to its high cost and large instrumentation set up. Whereas, passive control systems for example, base isolation, dampers, bracing systems etc, are found to be easy to install and cost effective as compared to first one. Use of passive dampers is now a day becoming cost effective solution for improve seismic performance of existing as well as new buildings. This review paper is focussed on Energy dissipation system provided by fluid Viscous Dampers (FVD). In this paper, an attempt has been made for review comparative study on dynamic behaviour of different lateral load resisting system. For that the past papers related to the dynamic behaviour of the structure with passive dampers and other lateral load resisting structure has been studied and the fruitful conclusion has been made.
Jigar S Goyani, Hitesh K Dhameliya, Jasmin Gadhiya
Dynamic Analysis, Passive Dampers, Fluid Viscous Dampers, Energy Dissipation, Lateral Load Resisting System
- Abdelouahab Ras, Baghdad Boukhari, Nadir Boumechra, Karim Hamdaoui, “Dissipative Capacity Analysis of Steel Building Using Viscous bracing Device,” in 2014 International Conference on Geological and Civil Engineering, IPCBEE vol.62 (2014), IACSIT Press V62. 4, Singapore.
- Asif Hameed, Asad-ullah Qazi, Ali Murtaza Rasool, “Seismic Performance of Low to Medium Rise Reinforced Concrete Buildings using Passive Energy Dissipation Devices”, in Pak. J. Engg. & Appl. Sci., P 1-16, Vol.14, Jan., 2014, Pakistan.
- Daisuke Asahina, John E. Bolander, Stefano Berton, “Design optimization of passive devices in multi-degree of freedom structures” in 13th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering Vancouver, B.C., August 1-6, 2004, Paper No. 1600, Canada.
- G.S. Balakrishna, Jini Jacob, “Seismic analysis of building using two types of passive energy dissipation devices,” in Journal of Mechanical and Civil Engineering, IOSR PP 13-19, ISSN: 2278-1684, p-ISSN: 2320-334X.
- Nitendra G Mahajan, D B Raijiwala, “Seismic response control of a building installed with passive dampers” in International Journal of Advanced Engineering Technology, Vol.2, Issue 3 July-September, 2011, ISSN 0976-3945.
- Prashanthi C Sudula, Dr. B. Shivakumara Swamy, “Comparative Study on Seismic Behavior of Multistoreyed Frames With Different Passive Dampers for Different Zones” in International Journal of Engineering Research & Technology, Vol. 3, Issue 7, July - 2014, ISSN: 2278-0181.
- Soong, T. T., and Spencer, Jr. B. F.. “Supplemental energy dissipation: State-of-the-art and state-of-the-practice”, Engineering Structure, 24 (3), 2002, 243–259.
- V. Sadeghi Balkanlou, M. Reza Bagerzadeh Karimi, B. Bagheri Azar, Alaeddin Behravesh, “Evaluating Effects of Viscous Dampers on optimizing Seismic Behavior of Structures” in International Journal of Current Engineering and Technology, Vol.3, No.4 October 2013, ISSN 2277 – 4106.
- Yuvraj Bisht, Saraswati Setia, “Seismic Behaviour Of A Soft Storey Building With & Without Viscous Dampers” in International Journal of Engineering Research and Applications, AET- 29th March 2014, ISSN: 2248-9622.
|Published in :
||Volume 1 | Issue 6 | November-December - 2015
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Jigar S Goyani, Hitesh K Dhameliya, Jasmin Gadhiya, "Review for Comparative Study on Dynamic Behavior of Different Lateral Load Resisting System", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 1, Issue 6, pp.336-339, November-December-2015.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET151667.php