Aluminium-4%wt copper alloy being a 2xxx series alloy, exhibits moderate strength as a result of needle-like structure of the intermetallic compound (Al2Cu(θ)) formed as non-coherent precipitates as the alloy cools slowly to ambient temperature. Hence, this paper focuses on addition of a refractory oxide (CaO) to melted Al-4%wtCu alloy, in order to refine the grain size and structure, thereby improving the mechanical properties of the alloy. The objective of this work is to study the extent to which each concentration of CaO influenced the mechanical properties of Al-4%Cu alloy and the concentrations that gave an appreciable mechanical property suitable for engineering application. The experiment was carried out with refractory oxide (CaO) with concentration of 0.75%, 1%, 1.25%, 1.5%, 1.75%, 2% and 2.25% by weight to melted Al-4%Cu alloy, stirred and sand cast. The results established that the refractory oxide (CaO) can be used to improve the microstructure and mechanical properties of Al-4%Cu alloy.
Affiah E. U., Nwaeju C. C., Nnuka E. E.
Refractory Oxide, Structure, Mechanical Properties and Al-4%Cu Alloy
- Birbilis N., and Bucheit R. G.(2005) Electrochemical characteristics of intermetallic phases in aluminium alloys, an experimental survey and discussion, Journal of the Electrochemical Society,152(4):B140-B151.
- Bourgeois L., Dwyer C. M., Weyland J. F., Nie and Muddle B. C.(2011)Structure and emergetics of the coherent interface between θ’ precipitate phase and aluminium in Al-Cu Acta Mater., 59:7043-7050.
- Castillo L. D., and Lavernia E.J.(2000) Microstructure and mechanical behaviour of spray deposited Al-Cu-Mg(Al-Mn) alloys, Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A, Vol.31A, pp.2287.
- Chester R. J., and Polmear I. J. (1983) Light Alloys: Metallurgy of the Light Metals (3rd ed.), Institute of Metals, London, pp75-81
- Cochran J.F., and Mapother .D.E. (1958) Superconducting transition in aluminium, Physical Review, 111(1):132-142.
- Hatch J. (1984) Aluminium Properties and Physical Metallurgy, Metals Park, OH: American Society for Metals, Vol 6, pp. 165-187.
- Higgins R. A. (1986) Engineering Metallutgy (Part II), Edward Arnold, London, Vol. 3, pp. 111-126.
- Nnuka E. E. (1991) The effect of micro additives on the quality and distribution pattern of the secondary phase in aluminium-copper alloy system, The Nigerian Engineer. Vol.26, No3, pp 30-37.
- Nnuka, E. E. (1994) Effect of Dopants on the structure and properties of Aluminium and some of its Alloys, JAST. Vol.4. No. 2, pp 145-153.
- Nnuka, E. E. (2002) Atomic sub-structure and mechanical properties of aluminium alloys with Zinc and copper, Global Journal of Mechanical Engineering Vol.3, No.2.,pp. 13-22.
- Salimon A. I., Korsunsky A. M., Shelekhov E. V., Sviridova T. A., Kaloshkin S.D., and Tchrdyntse (2001) Crystallo-chemical aspects of solid state reactions in mechanically alloyed Al-Cu-Fe quasi-crystalline, Acta material, 49(10): 1821-1833.
- Wang S. Q., Schneider M., Ye H. Q., and Gottstein G. (2004) First principle study of the formation of Guinier-Preston Zones in Al-Cu alloys. Scripta Materialia, Vol. 51, pp. 665-669.
|Published in :
||Volume 1 | Issue 6 | November-December - 2015
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Affiah E. U., Nwaeju C. C., Nnuka E. E., "Effect of Refractory Oxide (CaO) on the Structure and Mechanical Properties of Al-4%Cu Alloy", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 1, Issue 6, pp.563-569, November-December-2015.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET151676.php