This paper presents a hardware and power efficient binary multiplier using resource reuse technique. The proposed design uses efficient design of half and full adder circuits which uses less number of logic gates. An array multiplier of n x n needs n rows and n columns of full adder circuits to generate the product term. The proposed design requires only 3 rows of adders to generate the product term. Intermediate product terms are stored in the memory elements (flip flop). As flip flops takes less area and consume less power as compared to adder circuit (combinational circuit), this improves the hardware efficiency and power efficiency of the design. This technique is used to implement a 8 x 8 multiplier and the results are compared with other 8 x 8 array multipliers. Spartan 3 FPGA is used to implement the design. The design is very linear and it can be easily extended to implement large multiplier.
Geetanjali Sharma, Nitesh Dodkey
Power Efficient, Multiplier, Switching Delay, Hardware Efficient and Resource Reuse
- T. Nishitani, “Micro-programmable DSP chip,” 14th Workshop on Circuits and Systems, pp.279-280, 2001.
- V. G. Moshnyaga and K. Tamaru, “A comparative study of switching activity reduction techniques for design of low power multipliers,” IEEE International Symposium on Circuits and Systems, pp.1560-1563, 1995.
- Wu, “High performance adder cell for low power pipelined multiplier,” IEEE International Symposium on Circuits and Systems, pp.57–60, 1996.
- T. Ahn and K. Choi, “dynamic operand interchange for low power,” Electronics Letters, Vol. 33, no. 25, pp.2118- 2120,1997.
- J. Choi, J. Jeon and K. Choi, “Power minimization of functional units by partially guarded computation,” International Symposium on Low-power Electronics and Design, pp.131-136, 2000.
- J. Ohban, V. G. Moshnyaga, and K. Inoue, “Multiplier energy reduction through bypassing of partial products,” IEEE Asia-Pacific Conference on Circuits and Systems, pp.13–17, 2002.
- M. C. Wen, S. J. Wang and Y. M. Lin, “Low power parallel multiplier with column bypassing,“ IEEE International Symposium on Circuits and Systems, pp.1638- 1641, 2005.
- G. N. Sung, Y. J. Ciou and C. C. Wang, “A power-aware 2- dimensional bypassing multiplier using cell-based design flow,” IEEE International Symposium on Circuits and Systems, pp.3338-3341, 2008.
- J. T. Yan and Z. W. Chen, “Low-power multiplier design with row and column bypassing,” IEEE International SOC Conference, pp.227-230, 2009.
- Jin-Tai Yan and Zhi-Wei Chen, “low-power multiplier design with row and column bypassing”, department of computer science and information engineering, chung-hua University.
- Tushar V. More and Dr. R.V. Ksirsagar “Design of low power column bypass multiplier using FPGA” 2011 IEEE.
|Published in :
||Volume 1 | Issue 6 | November-December - 2015
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Geetanjali Sharma, Nitesh Dodkey, "Hardware & Power efficient Multiplier", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 1, Issue 6, pp.352-357, November-December-2015.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET151680.php