The Solar Tunnel Dryer can provide the best alternative method to dry red chillies in less time. The performance of the solar tunnel dryer depends on various parameters such as ambient temperature, solar radiation intensity, wind velocity, relative humidity, temperature of air inside the solar tunnel dryer etc. The experimentations are carried out at Umrer in Vidarbha region of Maharashtra. In this work Solar Tunnel Dryers (STD) performance is investigated by varying different process parameters, which includes absorber material (ABM), polyethene cover thickness (CT), air flow velocity over drying bed (AFV) and drying bed thickness (DBT). Three different levels of each parameter are chosen to form different combinations of experiments using Taguchi L9 orthogonal array. Total 9 experiments are designed and fabricated for drying 5 kg of red chilli. The initial moisture content of red chilli is 80% which is reduced to 5%. The efficiency, % of moisture removed and drying time of individual STD are investigated. Considerable reduction in drying time and better quality of dried products are observed as compared to open sun drying.
Y M Jibhakate, Dr. A C Waghmare, Dr. S K Choudhary
Solar Tunnel Dryer, moisture content, dryer efficiency, Taguchi orthogonal array
- N.S. Rathore. , N.L. Panwar, “Design and development of energy efficient solar tunnel dryer for industrial drying”, Clean Techn Environ Policy, Springer,2010.
- S. Ayyappan, K.Mayilsamy, “Experimental investigation on a solar tunnel dryer for copra drying”, Jounal of Scientific & Industrial Research, Vol. 69, 2010, 635-638.
- C.M. Joy, Peter George, K.P. Jose, “Drying of black pepper using solar tunnel dryer”, Pertanika J. Trop. Agric. Sci. 25(1), 2002, 39-45.
- M.S. Sevada, N.S. Rathore, “Performance evaluation of the semicylindrical solar tunnel dryer for drying handmade paper”, Journal of Renewable and Sustainable Energy 2, 2010, 013107- 1-18.
- M.A. Hossain, J.L. Woods, B.K. Bala, “Optimization of solar tunnel dryer for drying of chilli without color loss”, Elsevier, Renewable Energy 30, 2005, 729-742.
- H.P. Garg, R. Kumar, “Studies on semi-cylindrical solar tunnel dryers: year round collector performance”, International Journal of Energy Research, Vol.22, Issue 15, 1998, 1381-1395.
- B.K. Bala, M.A. Ashraf, M.A. Uddin, S. Janjai, “Experimental and neural network prediction of the performance of a solar tunnel drier for drying jackfruit bulbs and leather”, Journal of Food Process Engineering 28, 2005, 552-566.
- Phadake M.S. Quality engineering using robust design. 1st ed. Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey, 1989.
|Published in :
||Volume 1 | Issue 6 | November-December - 2015
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Y M Jibhakate, Dr. A C Waghmare, Dr. S K Choudhary, "Experimental Investigation of Solar Tunnel Dryer for Drying Red Chilli using Taguchi L9
Orthogonal Array", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 1, Issue 6, pp.443-447, November-December-2015.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET151690.php