The present study was conducted to prepare food products -kokum panna, kokum sherbet, kokum booster and kokum chatpatti balls from dehydrated black kokum extract and pulp and to analyse the Hydroxycitric acid (HCA) content in the products. The kokum (Garcinia) was used for the study and food products because of its higher hydroxycitric acid (HCA) content. The commonly consumed products: kokum panna, kokum sherbet, kokum booster and kokum chatpatti balls were then analysed for their pH and HCA content. The organoleptic evaluation of food products of kokum extract and kokum pulp was found to be highly acceptable (p<0.8). The acceptable levels of dehydrated black kokum extract for booster and panna and kokum pulp for kokum sherbet and chatpatti balls ranged 20% & 35%, and 25% & 30% respectively. The HCA content of the food products ranged between 2.1 to 8.6g/100g. Among all these products, the highest pH content was found in kokum booster followed by 3.71, 3.85, 3.94 pH value while kokum chatpatti balls, kokum panna and kokum sherbet 2.60, 2.92 and 2.41, 2.43, 2.45, 2.24, 2.27, 2.28 pH value. For the evaluation of shelf life of the food products, the products were packed in High Density Poly Ethylene (HDPE) covers, heat sealed and stored at ambient conditions. The results of sensory evaluation during shelf life showed that have a longer shelf life but the decline in the all sensory attributes as the days increased.
Pardeep Kaur Grewal
Dehydrated Black Kokum, Food Products, Sensory Attributes, Hydroxycitric Acid
- AOAC (1980) Official Methods of Analysis. Association of Official Analytical Chemists. Washington D.C.
- AOAC (2000) Official Methods of Analysis. Association of Official Analytical Chemists. Washington D.C.
- Hande AR, Swami SB, Thakor NJ (2014) Effect of drying methods and packaging materials on quality parameters of stored kokum rind. Int J Agric & Biol Eng 7(4): 114-126.
- Flora SJ (2007) Role of free radicals and antioxidants in health and disease. Cell Mol Biol 53(1): 1-2.
- Shrikant BS, Thakor NJ and Patil SC (2014) Kokum (Garcinia Indica) and it’s Many Functional Components as Related to the Human Health. Journal of food research and technology Department of Agricultural Process Engineering, College of Agricultural Engineering and Technology, India; 415-712.
- Pritam G. Bafna (2014) The best use of kokum (Garcinia indica) fruit as RTS beverage and fruit bar. International Journal of Nutrition and Agriculture Research 1(1): 1 - 9.
- Valko M, Leibfritz D, Moncol J, Cronin MT, Mazur M, Telser J (2007) Free radicals and antioxidants in normal physiological functions and human disease. Int J Biochem Cell Biol 39(1): 44-84.
- Sutar, R. L., Mane, S. P. and *Ghosh, J.S 92012) Antimicrobial activity of extracts of dried kokum (Garcinia indica C). International Food Research Journal 19(3): 1207-1210.
- Panda V, Ashar, R, Srinath S (2012) antioxidant and hepatoprotective effect of Garcinia indica fruit rind in ethanol induced hepatic damage in rodent, Interdscip Toxical 5(4): 207-213.
|Published in :
||Volume 1 | Issue 6 | November-December - 2015
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Pardeep Kaur Grewal, "Development and Quality Evaluation of Value Added Food Products using Dehydrated Black Kokum (Garcinia indica)
", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 1, Issue 6, pp.448-456, November-December-2015.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET151692.php