During this last decade, mesh networks have experienced strong growth due to their ability to provide anadditional and complementary support for existing infrastructure communication systems. InThe Hierarchical Optimized Link State Routing (HOLSR) protocol was designed to improve scalability of heterogeneous Mobile Ad-Hoc Networks (MANETs).Unlike OLSR, nodes are organized in clusters and implement Hierarchical Topology Control (HTC) messages for inter-cluster communications. Nevertheless, HOLSR was designed without security measures. Therefore, a misbehaving node can affect the topology map acquisition process by interrupting the flooding of control information or disturbing the MPR selection process. In this paper we survey flooding disruption attacks, that affect the topology map acquisition process in HOLSR networks, and preventive mechanisms to mitigate the effect of this kind of attacks.
Sapana Choudhary, Ankita Bhatt
HOLSR, security, flooding mechanisms, MPR,
- P. Arce, J.C. Guerri, A. Pajares, and O. La΄zaro. Performance evaluation of video streaming over ad hoc networks using flat and hierarchical routing protocols. Mobile Networks and Applications, 13(3-4):324336, 2008.
- E. Baccelli. OLSR trees: A simple clustering mechanism for OLSR. Chal- lenges in Ad Hoc Networking, IFIP International Federation for Information Processing, 197:265274, 2006.
- G. Cervera, M. Barbeau, J. Garcia-Alfaro, and E. Kranakis. Mitigation of topology control attacks in OLSR networks. In 5th International Conference on Risks and Security of Internet and Systems (CRISIS 2010), Jean-Marc Robert, editor, pages 8188, Montreal, Canada, October 10 - 13, 2010.
- T. Clausen and P. Jacquet. Optimized link state routing protocol (OLSR), RFC3626. IETF Internet Draft, http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3626.txt, October 2003.
- T. Henderson et. al. The NS-3 network simulator. Software package retrieved from http://www.nsnam.org/, 2011.
- A. Hajami, K. Oudidi, and M. Elkoutbi. An enhanced algorithm for MANET clustering based on multi hops and network density. In New Technologies of Distributed Systems (NOTERE), 2010 10th Annual International Conference
- U. Herberg and T. Clausen. Security Issues in the Optimized Link State Routing Protocol version 2 (OLSRv2). International Journal of Network Security & Its Applications (IJNSA), Volume 2, Numero 2, 2010.
- P. Jacquet, P. Muhlethaler, T. Clausen, A. Laouiti, A. Qayyum, and L. Vi- ennot. Optimized link state routing protocol for ad hoc networks. In IEEE International Multi Topic Conference, 2001. IEEE INMIC 2001. Technology for the 21st Century. Proceedings, pages 6268. Lahore University of Management Sciences, Pakistan, December 2001.
- J. Macker, I. Downard, J. Dean, and B. Adamson. Evaluation of distributed cover set algorithms in mobile ad hoc network for simplified multicast forwarding. ACM SIGMOBILE Mobile Computing and Communications Review, 11(3):111, 2007.
- J. Moy. Open Shortest Path First (OSPF) version 2, RFC2328. IETF Internet Draft, http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2328.txt, April 1998.
- D. Palma and M. Curado. Inside-out olsr scalability analysis. In Proceed- ings of the 8th International Conference on Ad-Hoc, Mobile and Wireless Networks, ADHOC-NOW ’09, pages 354359, Berlin, Heidelberg, 2009. Springer-Verlag.
- F.J. Ros and P.M. Ruiz. Cluster-based OLSR extensions to reduce control overhead in mobile ad hoc networks. In Proceedings of the 2007 international conference on Wireless communications and mobile computing, pages 202 207. ACM, 2007.
- L. Villasenor-Gonzalez, Y. Ge, and L. Lamont. HOLSR: A hierarchical proac- tive routing mechanism for mobile ad hoc networks. IEEE Communications Magazine, 43(7):118125, July 2005.
- M. Voorhaen, E. Van de Velde, and C. Blondia. MORHE: A transparent multi-level routing scheme for ad hoc networks. In K. Al Agha, I. Gurin Las- sous, and G. Pujolle, editors, Challenges in Ad Hoc Networking, volume 197 of IFIP International Federation for Information Processing, pages 139148. Springer Boston, 2006.
|Published in :
||Volume 1 | Issue 2 | March-April - 2015
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Sapana Choudhary, Ankita Bhatt, "A Survey of Optimized Link State Routing(OLSR) Networks using NS-3", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 1, Issue 2, pp.407-415, March-April-2015.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET1522128.php