This work presents a microcontroller based system which makes use of soil moisture sensors and plant growth models to develop irrigation schedules for maize crop grown in loamy soil. The methodology adopted for this work involves field survey, electronic circuit design, implementation and testing. The field studies provided details on the crops root depth pattern and water requirement throughout its growth period. With a dual power source of solar and a.c power supply, moisture sensor, microcontroller, LDR, LCD and sprinkler units; the microcontroller would permit the sprinkler to start and stop at given times during each growth period when the soil moisture falls below a predetermined level as sensed by the soil moisture sensors. Also included in this design is a DTMF decoder unit that permits interaction with the farmer on the current state and step to be initiated by the device via a remote phone. Test results indicate effective irrigation throughout the maize cropâ€™s life cycle, bringing about improved crop yield/quality, water and energy conservation.
Ibrahim A. G., Mosadomi, T. J., Odekunle, M. O.
Irrigation, Loamy soil, Microcontroller, Maize crop, Soil sensor.
- J. C. Rodda, and L. Ubertini, The Basis of Civilization – Water Science? International Association of Hydrological Sciences (International Association of Hydrological Sciences Press. pp 161, 2004.
- L.K. William, I. Suat, J. Simon, C.D. Yonts and L.M. Derrel, Irrigation Management for Corn. Retrieved on 9th March, 2014 from www.ianrpubs.unl.edu/pages/publicationD.jsp?publicationId=1004
- Civil Engineers Forum. Retrieved on 23th November, 2014 from www.civilengineersforum.com/irrigation-advantages-disadvantages/)
- J. Needham, Science and Civilization in China: Volume 4, Physics and Physical Technology, Part 2, Mechanical Engineering. Taipei: Caves Books Ltd, pp. 344-346, 1986.
- Water Issue Brief. Wastewater use in agriculture: Not only an issue where water is scarce! International Water Management Institute, 2010.
- S.V. Zonn, Tropical and Subtropical soil science 2nd Edition. Mir publishers, 2 Pervy Rizhsky pereulok I-110, GSP, Moscow, 129820 USSR. pp. 67, 1986.
- F.A.O, Retrieved on 19th March, 2014 from http://www.fao.org/docrep/w4347e/w4347e0c.htm
- P. Bandiyopadhyay, Effect of soil moisture levels on root distribution, water uptake and crop coefficient of winter maize in a humid tropic region. Retrieved on 20 April, 2003 from www.academia.edu./Effect_of_soil_moisture_levels_on_root_distribution_water_uptake_and_crop_coefficient_of_winter_ maize_ in_a_humid-tropical region.
- G.W. Leeper and N.C. Uren, Soil Science: An Introduction, 5th edn. Melbourne University Press, Melbourne. pp. 25, 1993.
- D. Raes, P. Steduto, T.C. Hsiao and E. Fereres, AquaCrop--The FAO Crop Model to Simulate Yield Response to Water: II. Main Algorithms and Software Description. Agronomy Journal. pp. 101, 438-447, 2009.
- P. Steduto, T. Hsiao, D. Raes and E. Fereres, AquaCrop--The FAO Crop Model to Simulate Yield Response to Water: I. Concepts and Underlying Principles. Agronomy Journal. pp. 426-437, 2009.
- O.B. Dennis, Manual for Maize Production. Bunso cocoa college. 2011. Retrieved on 10/3/2015 from www.slideshare.net/DENNIS90/manual-for-maize-production-9558330.
- T. Phil, Growth stage guidelines: Early-season corn irrigation needs. Delta Farm Press. pp. 20-25, 2003.
- B. Grob and E.S. Mitchel, Basic Electronics. (9th ed.). Columbus: Glencoe/McGraw-Hill, pp.1,5, 2003.
- A. G. Ibrahim, O.D. Oyedum, O.B. Awojoyogbe and S.S.N. Okeke, Developmental features and implementation challenges of electronic pest control devices in developing countries. International Journal of Scientific and Engineering Research, 5(2), 411- 416, 2014.
- A.G. Ibrahim, Development and Performance Evaluation of a Solar-Powered Ultrasonic Device for the Control of Weaver Birds in Farms. A Ph.D thesis, Physics departmemt, Federal University of Technology, Minna, Nigeria. pp.103-107, 2015.
- C.A. Shuler, Electronic Principle and Application. Glencoel McGraw Hill Columbus. pp 7, 1984.
- M. Kretschmar and S. Welsby, Capacitive and Inductive Displacement Sensors in Sensor Technology Handbook, J. Wilson editor, Newnes: Burlington, MA. pp. 77-84, 2005,
- P.M. Levy and Z. Shufeng, Electrical Conductivity of Magnetic Multilayered Structures." Physical Review Letters 65.13 1643-646, 1990.
- At89c52 Datasheet. Retrieved on 3rd May, 2013 from www.alldatasheet.com/At89c52.?
|Published in :
||Volume 1 | Issue 2 | March-April - 2015
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Ibrahim A. G., Mosadomi, T. J., Odekunle, M. O., "Development and Implementation of a Solar-Powered Automated Irrigation Control System for Maize Crop Grown in Loamy Soil", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 1, Issue 2, pp.471-478, March-April-2015.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET152285.php