This work involves study the effect of Al2O3/SiC/ZrO2 nanoparticles coating on behavior of Al-12Si alloy. Electrical, thermal and electrochemical properties have been investigated before and after coating with Al2O3/SiC/ZrO2 by atomization process. Coated layer was identified by AFM and optical microscopy. Nanoparticles coating greatly decrease the electrical conductivity by acting a barrier to transport of electrons through the coated layer. While thermal conductivity was increased by nanoparticles coating due to filling the voids and then easily transport the phonon can occur. Electrochemical properties was estimated by corrosion test in seawater at room temperature and the data indicated that the corrosion resistance increased for coated alloy and get a protection efficiency equal to 85.17% with porosity percentage 8.685%.
Dr. Rana A. M. Anaee, Marwah Ayad Abbas
Al-12Si Alloy, Nanocoating, Atomization, electrical and thermal conductivity, electrochemical behavior.
- Janez Sušnik, Roman Šturm and Janez Grum, “Influence of Laser Surface Remelting on Al-Si Alloy Properties”, Strojniški vestnik - Journal of Mechanical Engineering 58(2012)10, 614-620, DOI:10.5545/sv-jme.2012.696.
- Yong-Jin Kim and Jin-Chun Kim, “Tensile property of Al-20 MASS.% Si alloys production by a gas atomization process”, Rev.Adv.Mater. Sci. 28 (2011) 207-211.
- S.P. Nikanorov, M.P. Volkov, V.N. Gurin, Yu.A. Burenkov, L.I. Derkachenko, B.K. Kardashev, L.L. Regel, and W.R. Wilcox, “Structural and mechanical properties of Al-Si alloys obtained by fast cooling of a levitated melt”, Materials Science and Engineering A 390 (2005) 63-69.
- Tim Jaglinski and Roderic Lakes, “Creep behavior of Al-Si die-cast alloys”, Journal of Engineering Materials and Technology, 126 (2004) 378-383.
- Haitham Razouqi Saleh, “Mechanical properties of the modified Al-12%Si alloy reinforced by ceramic particles”, Eng. & Techn., 28(2) 2010, 289-300.
- Rana Afif Majed, “Corrosion inhibition of Al-Si-Cu alloy in the basic media by using six inhibitors at four temperatures”, Um-Salama Science Journal, 5(2)2008.
- Wislei R. Osório, Noé Cheung, Leandro C. Peixoto and Amauri Garcia, “Corrosion resistance and mechanical properties of an Al 9wt%Si alloy treated by laser surface remelting”, Int. J. Electrochem. Sci., 4 (2009) 820 - 831.
- Rana A. Majed, Majid Abdulmajeed, Slafa I. Ibrahem and Hawraa Deaa Al-Deen, “Effect of oxygenated additives on the corrosion behavior of Al-Si-Cu alloy in synthetic condensed automotive solution”, JKAU: Eng. Sci., 23(2), (2012 A.D. /1433 A.H.) 3-18 DOI: 10.4197 / Eng. 23-2.1
- Adam L. Woodcraft, “Recommended values for the thermal conductivity of aluminium of different purities in the cryogenic to room temperature range, and a comparison with copper”, http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/journal/00112275
- Adam L. Woodcraft, “Predicting the thermal conductivity of aluminium alloys in the cryogenic to room temperature range”, http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/journal/00112275
- Hust JG, Clark AF., “The Lorenz ratio as a tool for predicting the thermal conductivity of metals and alloys”, Materials Research and Standards 1971;11:22.
- Khulood A. S and Haider A.Y., “Corrosion protection study for carbon steel in seawater by coating with Sic and ZrO2 nanoparticles”, American Journal of Chemistry, 5(1): 28-39, 2015, doi:10.5923/j.chemistry.20150501.05.
|Published in :
||Volume 1 | Issue 2 | March-April - 2015
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Dr. Rana A. M. Anaee, Marwah Ayad Abbas, "Effect of Nanoparticles Coating on Properties of Al-12Si Alloy", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 1, Issue 2, pp.363-367, March-April-2015.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET152295.php