Ferrocement or Ferro-concrete is a system of reinforced mortar or plaster applied over layers of metal. It consists of closely spaced, multiple layers of mesh or fine rods completely embedded in cement mortar. It has a wide range of uses including sculpture and prefabricated building components. Ferro concrete is relatively a new material and has good strength and resistance to impact. When used in house construction in developing countries, it provided better resistance to fire, earthquake, and corrosion than traditional materials such as wood, adobe and stone masonry. Depending on the quality of construction and the climate of its location, houses may pay for themselves with almost zero maintenance and lower insurance requirements. The main objective of this research is to investigate the possibility of using ferrocement concrete in different types of advanced construction. The current work presents the comparison between the performance of ferrocement and reinforced concrete under static load.
Ferrocement, Mortar Matrix, Mesh Reinforcement, Rcc, Servicibility, Durability.
- Kaewunruen S, Remennikov A (2006). “Nonlinear Finite Element Modeling of Railway Prestressed Concrete Sleeper.” The Tenth East Asia-Pacific Conference on Structural Engineering and Construction, Bangkok, Thailand, pp. 323-328.
- Kaish MA, Alam AB, Jamil MR, Zain MF, Wahed MA (2012). “Improved Ferrocement Jacketing for Restrengthening of Square RC Short Column.” Constr. Build. Mater. 36:228–237.
- Mourad SM, Shannag MJ (2012). “Repair and Strengthening of Reinforced Concrete Square Columns Using Ferrocement Jackets.” Cem. Concrete Compos. 34:288–294.
- Nassif HH, Najm H (2004). “Experimental and Analytical Investigation of Ferrocement–Concrete Composite Beams.” Cem. Concrete Compos. 26:787-796.
- Shannag MJ, Mourad SM (2012). “Flowable High Strength Cementitious Matrices for Ferrocement Applications.” Constr. Build. Mater. 36:933–939.
- Shannag J, Ziyyad T (2007). “Flexural Response of Ferrocement with Fibrous Cementitious Matrices.” Constr. Build. Mater. 21:1198–1205.
- Singh G (2006). “Finite Element Analysis of Reinforced Concrete Shear Walls.” M. Sc. Thesis, Deemed University, India.
- Robles-Austriaco L, Pama RP, Valls J (1981). “Ferrocement an Innovative Technology for Housing.” J. Ferrocement 11(1):23-47.
- Xiong GJ, Wu XY, Li FF, Yan Z (2011). “Load Carrying Capacity and Ductility of Circular Concrete Columns Confined by Ferrocement Including Steel Bars.” Constr. Build. Mater. 25:2263–2268.
- Akhtar, S., Arif, M. and Quraishi, M.A. (2009) ―Use of Chemical Corrosion Inhibitors for Protection of Metallic Fiber Reinforcement in Ferrocement Composites, The Arabian Journal for Science and Engineering, 34 (2C):105-113.
- Al-Dulaijan, S.U., Al-Zahrani, M.M., Saricimen, H., Maslehuddin, M., Shameem, M. And Abbasi, T.A. (2002) ―Effect of rebar cleanliness and repair materials on reinforcement corrosion and flexural strength of repaired concrete beams, Cement and Concrete Composites, 24:139-149.
- Al-Kubaisy, M.A. and Jumaat, M.Z. (2000) Flexural Behavior of reinforced concrete slabs with ferrocement tension zone cover, Construction and Building Materials, 14: 245-252.
- Banu, D. And Taranju, N. (2010) ―Traditional Solutions for Strengthening Reinforced Concrete Slabs, Bul. Inst. Polit. Iasi, 57(61):3.
- Biggs, Gordan W. (1972) ―An Introduction to Design for Ferrocement Vessels, Industrial Development Branch, January, Fisheries Service, Ottawa, pp.224.
- Bulletin CP-10 (1968) Ferrocement Tanks and Utility Buildings, New Zealand Portland Cement Association, Wellington, pp.5.
- CoP (1997) – for Production and Use, Ferrocement Roofing Channels, Jointly developed by Auroville Center & Development Alternatives.
- Desai, J.A. (2011), Corrosion and Ferrocement, Proceedings of the National Conference on Ferrocement, FS 2011, 13-14 May 2011, Pune, India,, pp.45-52.
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 1 | January-Febuary - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Piyush Sharma, "Analytical Research on Ferrocement : Design, Strength and Servicibility Aspects", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 1, pp.14-20, January-Febuary-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET16211.php