The decision of widening of highway is always a complex matter involving consideration of traffic flow, environment impact, land use and costs. The traffic conditions are examined by using different surveys like traffic volume count, spot speed and feasibility study of existing road with the help of HCM-2000(Highway Capacity Manual).Roadway factors including the lane width, lateral clearance, width of shoulders etc. Also have impact on traffic which may affect the speed of the vehicle, level of service and safety.
Kishnani Madhuri, Juremalani Jayesh, N.B Parmar
Widening, lane width, traffic study, congestion
- AASHTO. 2004b. A policy on geometric design of highways and streets, AASHTO
- Carlos alba and edward Beimborn “sensitivity analysis of factors affecting road widening thresholds”
- Council, F. M. and Stewart, J. R., "Safety effects of the conversion of rural two-lane to four-lane roadways based on cross-sectional models." Transportation Research Record, No. 1665, Washington, D.C., Transportation Research Board, National Research Council, (1999) pp. 35-43.
- Giuliano, G.-1992 “An assessment of the political acceptability of congestion pricing."
- Haribandhu Panda& RS Pundir, “Problems and possible solutions for better traffic management: A case study of Vadodara- Ahmadabad section of national highway eight”, Research Paper 19, August 2002, Institute of Rural Management, Anand(IRMA).
- Harwood, D. W. Relationships between Operational and Safety Considerations
- Highway Capacity Manual, TRB, National Research Council, Washington,D.C., 2000.
- Highway safety manual. Transportation Research Record. 62,in Geometric Design Improvements. In Transportation Research Record 1512, TRB, National Research Council, Washington, D.C., 1995, pp. 1–6.
- Jake Kononov, Barbara Bailey, and Bryan K. Allery- 2008 “relationship between safety and both congestion and number of lanes on urban freeways”
- Mogridge, M. J. H.-1986 “Road pricing: the right solution for the right problem”
- Satish Chandra and Upendra kumar- 2003 “Effect of lane width on capacity under mixed traffic condition in india”
- Shankar, V., F. L. Mannering, and W. Barfield. Effect of Roadway Geometric and Environmental Factors on Rural Freeway Accident Frequencies. Accident Analysis and Prevention, Vol. 27, No. 3, 1995, pp. 371–389.
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 1 | January-Febuary - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Kishnani Madhuri, Juremalani Jayesh, N.B Parmar, "Capacity Expansion of two-lane Rural Road : A Case Study of Padra-Jambusar Road Vadodara", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 1, pp.409-411, January-Febuary-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET1621100.php