Coastal and Inland water quality issues are of increasing concern among water resources managers and planners world wide as pollution and sediment levels from point source and non-point source to continue to mount. Prediction of surface runoff is one of the most useful capabilities of GIS system. Calculation of runoff can be used to estimate the impact of developments in the basin with computation of pre and post runoff at catchment outlet. In the present paper simple approach of runoff analysis by the use of the event based hydrological model of ‘Non-Point Source Pollution and Erosion Comparison Tool’ (N-SPECT) with elevation, land cover, soils and precipitation data sets are processed. This model utilises Soil Conservation Services- Curve Number (SCS-CN) approach to estimate surface runoff on event base of the basin. To apply this model, a sub-basin of ‘Bhima’ named as ‘Karha’ basin is chosen as study area with relevant grid maps. In this approach, the spatial pattern of accumulated runoff analysis has been studied, though the model has the capability to predict pollution and erosion events. The results obtained from N-SPECT Model is that the accumulated runoff volume is 2.07222 e+011 (L) which is equivalent to 207.22 Gm3 and the observed runoff at Barahanpur gauge station is 233.86 mm. The predicted runoff from N-SPECT model is nearly 70% of the observed runoff.
Accumulated Runoff, Curve Number, Hydrological Model, N-SPECT, Remote Sensing
- AlFugura A., Billa, L., Pradhan B., Mohamed T.A., Rawashdeh S., Coupling of hydrodynamic model and aerial photogrammetry-derived digital surface model for floods simulation scenarios using GIS: Kuala
Lumpur flood, Malaysia, Disaster Advances, 4(4), 2011, 20-28
- Beven K. J. and Kirkby M. J., 1979, “A physical based variable contributing area model of basin hydrology”, Hydrological Science Bulletin, 24 (1), pp 43-69.
- Billa L., Assilzadeh H., Mansor S., Mahmud A. R., Ghazali A. H., Comparison of recorded rainfall with quantitative precipitation forecast in a rainfall-runoff simulation for the Langat River basin, Malaysia,
Central European Journal of Geosciences, 3(3), 2011, 309-317.
- Domnita M., Runoff modeling using GIS. Application in torrential basins in the 591 Apuseni Mountains, Ph.D Thesis, Cluj Napoca. 2012
- Food and Agricultural Organization (FAO) Web site for digital soil map: http://www.fao.org/soils-portal/soil-survey/soil-maps/Last Accessed December 18, 2015.
- Hernandez M., Miller S. N., Goodrich D. C., Goff B. F., Kepner W. G., Edmonds C. M., Jones K. B., Modeling runoff response to land cover and rainfall spatial variability in semi-arid watersheds, Environmental Monitoring And Assessment, 64, 2000, 285-298.Sciences, Vol.22 (3) M, 889-894, (2010).
- Kopp, S., Noman, N., 2008. ArcGIS Spatial Analyst-Hydrologic Modeling, ESRI User ConferenceTechnicalWorkshop,http://www.scdhec.gov/gis/presentatios/ESRI_Conference_08/tws/workshops/tw_37.pdf, visited 25 April 2011.
- National Oceanic Atmospheric Administration (NOAA ), Coastal Service Center, 2004 , Non-Point Source Pollution And Erosion Comparison Tool, User’s Manual, 22345., Hobson Ave, Charleston, SC
- National Oceanic Atmospheric Administration (NOAA ), Coastal Service Center, 2004 , Non-Point Source Pollution And Erosion Comparison Tool, Technical Guide, Version 1 Hobson Ave, Charleston,
- Singh, V. P. (1988), Hydrologic Systems: Rainfall-runoff modeling, Vol. 1, Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey, p45.
- Schueler, Thomas R. “Why Stormwater Matters.” The Practice of Watershed Protection. Eds. Thomas R.Schueler and Heather K. Holland. Ellicott City, MD: Center for Watershed Protection, 2000. pp 365–370.
- USDA-NRCS. 1986. Urban Hydrology for Small Watersheds. Technical Release 55 (TR-55). Second Edition. Washington, D.C. Available at
- Web site for SRTM DEM: http://srtm.csi.cgiar.org/, Last Accessed 22 December, 2015.
- Web site for Resourcesat1 LISS III Image : http://bhuvan.nrsc.gov.in/data/download/index.php Last Accessed 22 December, 2015.
- Web-site for NRSC-BHUVAN for Land cover classes: http://bhuvan.nrsc.gov.in/gis/thematic/index.php Last Accessed 23 December, 2015.
- Zhan, X., Huang, M.L., 2004. ArcCN-Runoff: an ArcGIS tool for generating curve number and runoff maps. Environmental Modeling & Software, 19, pp.875-879.
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 1 | January-Febuary - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Narasayya Kamuju, "Application of SCS-CN for Estimation of Non-Point Source Storm Water Surface Runoff Using Spatial Information & GIS Integrated Event Based Hydrological Model", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 1, pp.233-239, January-Febuary-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET162111.php