Ground magnetic surveying was used to detect magnetic rocks within host formations in Kindani area of Maua. A fluxgate magnetometer was used to measure the vertical component of the Earth's magnetic field in some 98 stations, covering an area of about 25km2. Diurnal and geomagnetic corrections were done on the data. A RMI contour map delineates varied anomalies spread out within the region. The anomalies mostly trend on NW-SE and SW-NE directions. Four cross sectional profiles were drawn across anomalous regions. The data obtained was used in 2D modeling using Euler software which gives estimated depths to magnetic structures at between 0 -1500m. Forward modeling using Mag2dc software shows bodies of susceptibility between -1.724 SI to 1.7624 SI. The depth to top of magnetic structures ranges from 0-136m, which indicates shallow structures. A chemical analysis of some rock samples indicates quantity of Fe2O3 at an average of 25%. This shows significant quantities of iron which confirms presence of iron ore in the area. This confirms presence of extended iron deposits within the region, in addition to the deposits discovered at neighbouring Kimachia.
Benson C. Mwirigi, John G. Githiri, Willis Ambusso
Iron ore, Ground Magnetics, Energy Dispersive Spectroscopy
- Adero, B., Odek, A., Abuga V., Githiri J. and Ambusso W. (2014) 2D- Forward modeling of ground magnetic data of Homa-Hills geothrospect area, Kenya. International Journal of Science and Research 3:94-101
- Adagunodu, T.A., Sunmonu, L.A., Olafisoye, E.R., and Oladejo OP. (2012).Interpretation of groundmagnetic data in Oke-Ogba, Akure Southwestern Nigeria.Advances in Applied Science Research 3: 3216-3222.
- Abdelrahaman, E.M and Kassa, K.S (2005). Magnetic Interpretation using a least-squares depth shape curves method. Geophysics 70: 23-30
- Fredrick K. Lutgens and Edward J Tarbuck (2000) Essentials of Geology, Prentince Hall, New York,
- Githiri, J.G., Patel, J.P., Barongo, J.O and Karanja, P.K. (2011) Application of Euler of Euler deconvolution technique in determining depths to magnetic structures in Magadi area, Southern Kenya Rift. Journal of Agriculture, Science and Technology,13: 142-156
- El Dawi M.G., Tianyou L. Hui S and Dapeny L. (2004) Depth Estimation of 2-D magnetic anomalous sources by using Euler deconvolution theorem. American Journal of Applied Sciences
- Heinz S. et al., (2005) Titanium, Titanium Alloys and Titanium Compounds in Ullmann’s Encyclopedia of Industrial Chemistry, Wiley-VCH, Wienheim.
- Hsu Shu- Kun, (2002). Imaging magnetic sources using Euler’s equation.Geophysical prospecting, 50: 15-25
- Kayode, J.S., Nyabese, P. and Adelusi, A.O. (2010).Ground magnetic study of Ilesa East, Southwestern Nigeria.African Journal of Environmental Science and Technology, 4: 122-131
- Lowrie, W. (1997). Fundamentals of geophysics. Cambridge, Cambridge University press
- Nettleton, L.L. (1976) Gravity and magnetics in oil prospecting. McGraw-Hill, New York pp 394-413
- Obot, V.E.D and Wolfe, P.J (1981). Ground-level magnetic study of Greene County, Ohio, Ohio Journal of Science, 81:50-54
- Reid, A.B., Allsop, J.M., Granser, H., Millets, A.J. and Somerton I.W. (1990). Magnetic interpretation in 3-dimensional using Euler deconvolution. Geophysics 55: 80-91
- Rix P. (1967). Geology of the Kinna area. Report No. 81 Geological Survey of Kenya
- Selim E.I and Aboud E. (2014) Application of spectral analysis technique on ground magnetic data to calculate the Curie depth point of the eastern shore of the Gulf of Suez, Egypt. Arabian Journal of Geosciences:7(5) 1749-1762
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 1 | January-Febuary - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Benson C. Mwirigi, John G. Githiri, Willis Ambusso, "Geophysical and Chemical Analysis of Iron ORE Deposits in Maua, Kenya", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 1, pp.563-570, January-Febuary-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET1621120.php