In present world scenario, when manufacturing companies encounter capacity problems, they immediately look for increasing overtime, number of shifts and purchase new machine and equipments. Instead, focus must be on the better utilization of resources and increasing performance of the existing machines, so that there is better equipment performance, reduction in bottlenecks, decrease overall downtime, improve operator performance and minimization of setup time and other major forms of losses thus enabling in decision on the investment of buying new machines.
Overall Equipment Effectiveness measures the gap between the actual performance and the potential performance of a manufacturing unit. OEE is broken down into three measuring metrics such as Availability, Performance, and Quality; these help gauge the plantís efficiency by categorizing the key losses that affects the manufacturing process.
In this review, it is seen that total productive maintenance methodology is implemented to achieve OEE nearing to world class standards. It is seen that downtime losses are not the only influencing parameter but ideal run rate of a machine is another factor that adds to the variation in OEE. It is evident from one of the examples that OEE percentage can be improved substantially by implementing Total Productive Maintenance tools such as 5S, Jishu Hozen, Kaizen etc in a manufacturing firm. While calculating OEE, the factors influencing it are identified and performance improvement measures are undertaken and through this, OEE percentage can be improved. This concept can be applied to manufacturing industries, plastic industry, petrochemical processes and pharmaceutical industry.
Sowmya K, Chetan N
Overall Equipment Effectiveness, Major Losses, Total Productivity Maintenance, Availability, Performance, Quality, World Class Score.
- Mr. Nilesh Ayane¹, Mr. Mangesh Gudadhe² (2015) Review Study on Improvement of Overall Equipment Effectiveness in Construction Equipments IJEDR Volume 3, Issue 2 2015
- Binoy Boban1, Jenson Joseph E2 (2013), Enhancing Overall Equipment Effectiveness for a Manufacturing Firm through Total Productive Maintenance International Journal of Emerging Technology and Advanced Engineering Certified Journal, Volume 3, Issue 8, August 2013
- Hayes, R.H., & Pisano, G.P. (1994). Beyond world class: the new manufacturing strategy. Harvard Business Review, January-February, 77-86
- Suresh Kumar1, G.Sujatha2 and D (2012), assessment of overall equipment effectiveness, efficiency and energy consumption of breakfast cereal*J. International Journal of Applied Engineering and Technology.
- Dashrath kumar1, Er. Dinesh Kumar2, Er. Rohit Rawat3 (2014) Methodology used for improving overall equipment effectiveness by Implementing Total Productive Maintenance in plastic pipe manufacturing industries, International Journal of Modern Engineering Research (IJMER)
- M. Vivek Prabhu, R. Karthick, Dr.G. Senthil Kumar (2014), Optimization of Overall Equipment Effectiveness in A Manufacturing System International Journal of Innovative Research in Science, Engineering and Technology Volume 3, Special Issue 3, March 2014
- Muhammad Abdus Samad, 2Muhammed Rifat Hossain , 3Md. Asrafuzzaman (2012), Analysis of Performance by Overall Equipment Effectiveness of the CNC Cutting Section of a Shipyard ARPN Journal of Science and Technology
- Shah, R., & Ward, P.T. (2007). Defining and developing measures of lean production. Journal of Operations Management, 25, 785-805.
- Praveen Singh sisodiya1, Mushtaq Patel2, Dr. Vivek Bansod3 literature review on overall equipment effectiveness, IJRAME
- S.R.Vijayakumar1, Gajendran2 (2014), Improvement of overall equipment effectiveness (oee) in injection moulding process industry, IOSR Journal of Mechanical and Civil Engineering (IOSR-JMCE)
- Wong, Y.C., Wong, K.Y., & Ali, A. (2009). A study on lean implementation in the Malaysian electrical and electronic industry. European Journal of Scientific Research, 38(4), 521-535
- Retrieved from:- http://exorrd.com/docs/ TheCompleteGuidetoOEE.pdf
- Retrieved from: http://www.cbeng.com/resources/whitepaper/managerguide.pdf.
- Retrieved from :- http://www.acedemia.edu/ A Literature Review on Overall Equipment Effectiveness
- Retrieved from:- http://www.iqitysolutions.com /IQity OEE WhitePaper.pdf(2012)
- Retrieved from:- - http:/www.leanproduction.com/oee.html
- Retrieved from:- http://www.mmsonline.com/articles/a-managers-guide-to-overall-equipment-effectiveness-oee
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 1 | January-Febuary - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Sowmya K, Chetan N, "A Review on Effective Utilization of Resources Using Overall Equipment Effectiveness by Reducing Six Big Losses", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 1, pp.556-562, January-Febuary-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET1621133.php