The utility of discrete Fourier transform (DFT) plays important role in many of digital processing including linear filtering, correlation analysis and spectrum analysis. In this work we have proposed two FFT designs, design 1 and design 2. In design 1 we have only one butterfly unit and one multiplier and this butterfly unit along with complex multiplier is used multiple times to compute the 8 point FFT. In design 2 four butterfly fly unit and two multipliers which are used 3 times. The number system used in our design is single precision (32 bit) floating point and 8 bit floating point.
Praveen Kumar Jhariya, Nitesh Dodkey
FFT, FPGA, Hardware Reuse, Butterfly
- James W. Cooley and John W. Tukey. An Algorithm for the Machine Calculation of Complex Fourier Series. Mathematics of Computation, 19(90):297–301, 1965.
- M. Heideman, D.H. Johnson, and C.S. Burrus. Gauss and the history of the fast fourier transform. ASSP Magazine, IEEE, 1(4):14–21, 1984.
- Zahra Haddad Derafshi, Javad Frounchi, Hamed Taghipour "FPGA Implementation of a 1024-Point Complex FFT Processor" Proceeding 2010 IEEE Second International Conference on Computer and Network Technology pp312-315.
- J.E.Volder, "The CORDIC trigonometric compo technique" IRE Trans. Elec. Compo (1959), vol. EC-8-3, pp. 330-334.
- F.Angarita, A Perez-Pascual, T.Sansaloni, J.Valls, "Efficient Fpga Implementation of Cordic Algorithm for Circular and Linear Coordinates", Proceedings 2005 International Conference on Field Programmable Logic and Applications, pp535-538.
- IEEE 754-2008, IEEE Standard for Floating-Point Arithmetic, 2008.
- D. Goldberg – What Every Computer Scientist Should Know About Floating Point Arithmetic – ACM Computing Surveys, Vol 32, No 1, 1991.
- ANSI/IEEE 754-1985 Standard for Binary Floating Point Arithmetic.
- More, Tushar V., and Ashish R. Panat. "FPGA implementation of FFT processor using vedic algorithm." Computational Intelligence and Computing Research (ICCIC), 2013 IEEE International Conference on. IEEE, 2013.
- Ayhan, Tuba, Wim Dehaene, and Marian Verhelst. "A 128∶ 2048/1536 point FFT hardware implementation with output pruning." Signal Processing Conference (EUSIPCO), 2014 Proceedings of the 22nd European. IEEE, 2014.
- Chen, Ren, and Viktor K. Prasanna. "Energy optimizations for FPGA-based 2-D FFT architecture." High Performance Extreme Computing Conference (HPEC), 2014 IEEE. IEEE, 2014.
- Kumar, M., A. Selvakumar, and P. M. Sobha. "Area and frequency optimized 1024 point Radix-2 FFT processor on FPGA." VLSI Systems, Architecture, Technology and Applications (VLSI-SATA), 2015 International Conference on. IEEE, 2015.
- Arioua, Mounir, et al. "VHDL implementation of an optimized 8-point FFT/IFFT processor in pipeline architecture for OFDM systems." Multimedia Computing and Systems (ICMCS), 2011 International Conference on. IEEE, 2011.
- Akshata.A, Gopika.D.K, Hameem Shanavas.I “FPGA Implementation of Decimation In Time FFT or Discrete Fourier Transform” JEST-M, Vol.1, Issue 2, 2012.
- Mukherjee, Atin, Amitabha Sinha, and Debesh Choudhury. "A Novel Architecture of Area Efficient FFT Algorithm for FPGA Implementation."arXiv preprint arXiv:1502.07055 (2015).
- Das, Ansuman Diptisankar, et al. "Efficient VLSI Architectures of Split-Radix FFT using New Distributed Arithmetic." International Journal of Soft Computing and Engineerimg (IJSCE) ISSN: 2231-2307.
- Wang, Zhen, et al. "A Combined SDC-SDF Architecture for Normal I/O Pipelined Radix-2 FFT." (2013).
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 1 | January-Febuary - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Praveen Kumar Jhariya, Nitesh Dodkey, "Implementation of Fast Fourier Transform using Resource Reuse Technique on FPGA ", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 1, pp.52-58, January-Febuary-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET162114.php