Bridge design is an important as well as complex approach of structural engineer. As in case of bridge design, span length and live load are always important factor. These factors affect the conceptualization stage of design. Prestressed Concrete and Steel plate are commonly used for constructing bridges. This project presents the comparative study of prestressed concrete girder and steel plate girder for roadway over bridge. This work includes the cost analysis and design of prestressed concrete girder and steel girder. In the good olden days, for higher spans, steel girders whether plate girders or triangulated girders were pre-dominantly used. After the advent of pre-stressed concrete, its use in higher span bridges increased tremendously. Main reason behind use of PSC girders is due to its initial economical cost. No doubt, PSC girders are economical in the initial stage of construction, but the same may not be true if we consider the life cycle cost including other factors. The aim of this work is to design prestressed concrete and steel girder for various span and then compare the result. . Based on the understanding of the manual design procedure, a computer program in MS EXCEL was developed for designing both prestressed concrete and steel plate girder. The goal of study is to determine most favourable option from above two.
Bhagyashree C Jagtap, Mohd. Shahezad
Prestressed Concrete Girder, Steel Plate Girder, Bridge and Comparative Study.
- Rong-yau Huang & Ping-fu Chen, (2014) National Central University National Central University Taoyuan, Taiwan. Presented topic on , “Life Cycle Cost Analysis of Steel and Pre-stressed Concrete Bridges - A Case Study of a New Highway Bridge in Taiwan”, May-2014.
- M. Ameerutheen1, Sri. Aravindan2 1M.Tech, Student, VI semester, (2014) Bharath Institute of Science and Technology, Bharath University, Chennai - 600 073 2Assistant Professor, Bharath Institute of Science and Technology, Bharath University, Chennai - 600 073,'Study Of Stresses On Composite Girder Bridge Over Square And Skew Span’ ISSN 0976-6308 (Print) ISSN 0976-6316 (Online) Volume 5, Issue 2, February 2014.
- Vishal U. Misal, N. G. Gore, P. J. Salunke, (2014) “Analysis and Design of Prestressed Concrete Girder”, ISSN: 2319-9598, Volume-2, Issue-2, January-2014.
- Amit Saxena1, Dr. Savita Maru2, (2013) Department of Civil Engineering, Ujjain Engineering College Ujjain, M.P, India, “Comparative Study of the Analysis and Design of T-Beam Girder and Box Girder Superstructure”,ISSN:2320-8791, Volume 1,Issue 2,(April-May2013).
- Vikash Khatri1, Pramod Kumar Singh2 and P.R.Maiti3, (2012) Department of Civil Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology, Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi,“Comparative study of prestressed steel – concrete composite bridge of different span length and girder spacing”, ISSN: 2249-6645,Vol.2, Issue.5,Sep – Oct 2012.
- Asif Hameed1, Umer Farooq2, Asad-ullah Qazi3, and Burhan Sharif4, (2012) “ Cost Comparison of Inverted Tee Girder with I-Girder: A Case Study of Shalimar Flyover”, Vol.10, Jan-2012
- Telmo Alexandre Alves Mendes IST, (2011) Technical University of Lisbon, Portugal, “Composite Steel-Concrete Bridges with Double Composite Action” (2011).
- S. Rana & R. Ahsan , (2010) Department of Civil Engineering, Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology, Dhaka 1000,Bangladesh.& S.N. Ghani Optimum System Designers, Tucson, Arizona, Az – 85737, USA, “Design of prestressed concrete I-girder bridge superstructure using optimization Algorithm”, (Aug-2010).
- Husham Almansour, Ph.D. and Zoubir Lounis, (2008) Ph.D. P. Eng, “Innovative Design of Precast/Prestressed Girder Bridge Superstructures using Ultra Hig Performance Concrete”,(2008).
- John R. Fowler,(2007) P.Eng. Canadian Precast/Prestressed Concrete institute. Presented topic on, “Precast Options for Bridge Superstructure Design”,(2007).
- R. K. Gupta (2002) Executive Director, Bridge & Structures RDSO, Lucnow, “Economics Of Steel Bridges V/S Concrete Bridges”,(April-2002).
- Marc Badoux1, Olivier Burdet2 and David Benouaich3 1 Assistant Professor, 2 Lecturer and Senior Research Associate, 3 Research assistant Laboratory for Reinforced and Prestressed Concrete Structures Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Lausanne. (1999) “Comparison of the Amount of Reinforcement for a Box-girder Bridge Prestressed with Internal or External Cables”. (1999).
- Arpad Horvathl and Chris Hendrickson2, (1998) “Steel Versus Steel-Reinforced Concrete Bridges: Environmental Assessment”, (Sep-1998).
- IS: 1343- 1980. Indian Standard Code of Practice for Prestressed Concrete (First Revision).
- IS: 800-2007. General Construction Steel-Code Of Practice (Third Revision).
- Prof. Dr. V. L. Shah & Prof. Veena Gore, “Limit State Design of Steel Structures (IS: 800-2007)”, Structures Publications ‘Jal-Tarang’, 36 Pravati, Pune 411009.
- T. R. Jagdeesh & M. A. Jayaram, “Design of Bridge Structure”, Prentice Hall of India Private Ltd, New Delhi-110001.
- N. Krishna Raju, 2007. “Prestressed Concrete”, Fourth Edition, Tata McGraw- Hill Company Ltd., New Delhi.
- B.N Dutta, 2009 “Estimating and Costing In Civil Engineering”, Twenty- Sixth Revised Edition UBS Publishers’ Distributors Pvt. Ltd. New Delhi.
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 1 | January-Febuary - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Bhagyashree C Jagtap, Mohd. Shahezad, "Comparative Study of Prestressed Concrete Girder and Steel Plate Girder for Roadway Over Bridge", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 1, pp.113-117, January-Febuary-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET162122.php