The purpose of the study was to identify the prevalence of attention deficit and hyperactivity disorders in children with language impairment and speech disorder. The study adopted a descriptive survey research design. The population of the study was 30 pupils suffering from speech and language disorders. The instrument used for the study was ADHD scale designed by the researcher, which was face and content validated by three experts. Cronbach Alpha reliability method was adopted to determine the internal consistency of the instrument, which yielded a reliability coefficient of 0.86. The data collected were analyzed using frequencies and percentage. Result revealed that the prevalence of ADHD disorders generally is 46.7%, the most ADHD disorders syndromes prevalent among children with language and speech disorder are: fidget and squirm in his seat, a constant siting of readiness to go, acting before thinking, interfere in the affairs of others, weak concentration, short term for attention and easy dispersion of attention.
Ahmed Elhassan Hamid Hassan
Attention Deficit, Hyperactivity Disorder, Language Impairment, Speech Disorder
- Ash, Andrea C.; Hogan, Tiffany P. (2015) Consequences of Co-Occurring Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder on Children's Language Impairments Language, Speech, and Hearing Services in Schools, 46, (2), 68-80.
- Baker L, Cantwell DP. A (1987) prospective psychiatric follow-up of children with speech/language disorders. Jam Accad Child Adolescent Psychiatry. 26(4):546-553.
- Barkley, R.A. (1990). Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder a handbook for diagnosis and treatment. New York: The Guilford Press.
- Beitchman JH, Hood J, Rochon J, Peterson M, Mantini T, Majumdar S. (1989). Empirical classification of speech/language impairment in children I. Identification of speech/language categories. Jam Accad Child Adolescent Psychiatry. 28(1):112-117.
- Beitchman JH, Nair R, Clegg M, Ferguson B, Patel PG (1996). Prevalence of psychiatric disorders in children with speech and language disorders. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. 25(4), 528–535.
- Beitchman JH, Wilson B, Johnson C, Atkinson L, Young AR, Adlaf E, Douglas L. (2001)Fourteen-year follow-up of speech/language-impaired and control children: psychiatric outcome. Journal of American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. 40(1), 75-82.
- Cantwel. D & Baker. L (1991) Association between Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder and Learning Disorders. US national Library of Medicine. National Institutes of Health. Retrieved from http: //www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2010679.
- Cross, G (2001). Children with social, emotional and behavioral difficulties and communication problems. Jessica Kingsley Publishers, London, UK.
- Donaher, J; & Richels, C (2012) Traits of Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder in School-Age Children Who Stutter. Journal of Fluency Disorders, 37 (4). 242-252.
- Ebert, Kerry Danahy; Kohnert, Kathryn. (2011) Sustained Attention in Children with Primary Language Impairment: A Meta-Analysis. Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research, 54 (5), 1372-1384.
- Hartas, D. (2012) Children's social behavior, language and literacy in early years. Oxford Review of Education, 38 (3), 357–376
- Ilija, Berdj, christel & reborta (2001) Attention Deficit/ hyperactivity in SLI Children increases risk of Speech /Language disorders. Journal of Communication Disorders, 34, 339-354.
- Joseph Donaher, M., Charles Healey, (2015) ADHD and Stuttering, THE STUTTERING FOUNDATION. www.stutteringhelp.org.
- Lewis, Barbara A.; Short, Elizabeth J.; Iyengar, Sudha K.; Taylor, H. Gerry; Freebairn, Lisa; Tag, Jessica; Avrich, Allison A.; Stein, Catherine M. (2012) Speech-Sound Disorders and Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder Symptoms. Topics in Language Disorders, 32, (3), 247-263. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3868495
- O’Regan F.J. (2002). How to teach and manage children with ADHD. Cambridge UK: LDA.
- Pennington, B. F., & Bishop, D. V. (2009). Relations among speech, language, and reading disorders. Annual Review of Psychology, 60, 283-306.
- Safaa, E., Ahlam, N., Eman, A, & Abdelrahim, A. (2013) Language impairment in attention deficit hyperactivity disorder in preschool. Children Egyptian Journal of Medical Human Genetics. 14 (4). 383-389.
- Shaywitz, S., Fletcher, J., & Shaywitz, B. (1994). Issues in the classification of attention deficit disorder. Top. Lang. Discord., 14(4), 1-25.
- Sean. M., Andrea. C,. Hogan. P., (2015). Consequences of co-Occurring Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder on Childrens Language Impairments. Language, Speech, and Hearing Services in Schools.42 (2). 68-80.
- Shriberg, Lawrence D.; Pennington, Bruce F. (2008) Children with Comorbid Speech Sound Disorder and Specific Language Impairment Are at Increased Risk for Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder. Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology, 3, (2), 151-163.
- Tallal, R., Townsend, J., Curtiss, S., & Wulfeck, B. (1991) Phenotypic profiles of Language-impaired Children based on genetic/family history. Brain and language, 41, 81-95.
- Tomblin, J. Bruce; Mueller, Kathyrn L. (2012). How Can Comorbidity with Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder Aid Understanding of Language and Speech Disorders? Topics in Language Disorders, 32, (3), 198-206.
- Tony C., Jessie R, Julie E., Geoff L., & Olympia P, (2015) Emotional and behavioral problems in children with language impairments and children with autism spectrum disorders. International Journal of Language & Communication Disorders. 50 (1), 84-90. DOI: 10.1111/1460-6984.12116.
- Ulrike W, Esther B, Gabriele D, Judith S, Mag, U, & Brigitte E, (2003). Behavior in Children with Language Development Disorders. The Canadian Journal of Psychiatry. 48 (9), 607-614.
- Witton, C., Talcott, J.B., Hansen, P.C., Richardson, A.J., Griffiths, T.D., Rees, A., Stein, J.F., Green, G.G. (1998). Sensitivity to dynamic auditory and visual stimuli predicts no word reading ability in both dyslexic and normal readers. Curr. Biol., 8, 791-797.
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 1 | January-Febuary - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Ahmed Elhassan Hamid Hassan, "Prevalence of Attention Deficit and Hyperactivity Disorder in Children with Language Impairments and Speech Disorders", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 1, pp.101-107, January-Febuary-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET162123.php