CAN is a protocol used in Automobiles Industry. The Electronic Control Units (ECUs) in automobiles need to communicate with each other. CAN bus is used for this purpose. In a multi ECU environment, arbiter plays the most important role in CAN bus. The arbiter prioritises and synchronises the transmission of different frames of CAN bus. These frames are continuous coming from different ECUs. CAN is a message based protocol. This means, unlike other arbitration mechanisms where request signals and grant signals are incorporated to provide the arbitration, here, in this type of protocol the message ID is the arbitration field. This field is scanned and the decision of arbitration is taken.With CAN protocol, the problems of point-to-point wiring connection made for ECU communication is removed. Also, the problem of delay with alternative technologies like Ethernet is resolved by using CAN protocol. The CAN arbiter is designed using EDA tools. The tools that are used in preliminary phase of the designing are simulation and synthesis tools. The design is targeted for FPGA technology. The device family used for FPGA technology is SPARTAN 3A. FPGA implementation offers better performance with respect to speed. Also, it provides an efficient arbiter hardware, thereby reducing the size and volume.
Sandeep Kumar Sharma, Abhijit Ray, Yogesh Khandagre
CAN, Arbitration, FPGA, SPARTAN 3A
- Xiaohong Ren, Chenghua Fu, Tianwen Wang and Shuxiang Jia, "CAN bus network design based on bluetooth technology," in Electrical and Control Engineering (ICECE), 2010 International Conference On, 2010, pp. 560-564.
- K. Pazul, "Controller Area Network (CAN) Basics," Microchip Technology Inc.Preliminary DS00713A-Page, vol. 1, 1999.
- Kumar, M. A.Verma, and A. Srividya, Response-Time “Modeling of Controller Area Network (CAN). Distributed Computing and Networking, Lecture Notes in Computer Science Volume 5408, p 163-174, 2009.
- Tindell, K., A. Burns, and A.J. Wellings, Calculating controller area network (CAN) message response times. Control Engineering Practice, 3(8): p. 1163-1169, 2005.
- Li, M., Design of Embedded Remote Temperature Monitoring System based on Advanced RISC Machine. Electrotechnics Electric, 06, p. 273,2009.
- Pazul, “Controller Area Network (CAN) Basics”, Microchip technology Inc., AN713, May 1999.
- Prodanov, W., M. Valle, and R. Buzas, A controller area network bus transceiver behavioral model for network design
- Transactions on Industrial Electronics, 56(9): p. 3762-377, 2009. ISO (1993). Road Vehicles: Interchange of Digital Information: Controller Area Network (CAN) for High Speed Communication. ISO 11898:1993.
- B.Gmbh, “CAN specification” vol 1 Version 2.0, 1991.
- Wilfried Voss, A comprehensive guide to controller area network, Copperhill Media Corporation, 2005-2008.
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 1 | January-Febuary - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Sandeep Kumar Sharma, Abhijit Ray, Yogesh Khandagre, "FPGA SPARTAN 3A Implementation of message based Arbitration in CAN Protocol", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 1, pp.126-130, January-Febuary-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET162138.php