This research paper describes the founding of different research paper published so far worldwide on use of Geocell in road construction. Geocells are three-dimensional, honeycomb-shaped soil-reinforcing geosynthetics composed of polymeric materials and are primarily used for confinement of granular material. Geocells are placed at sub base, in-filled with soil material, and compacted. The cellular structures of the geocells provide lateral and vertical confinement and tensioned membrane effect, thereby increasing the bearing capacity and providing a wider stress distribution. As a result, rutting or permanent deformations under traffic loading can be reduced. India has one of the world’s second largest roadway network transporting millions of people every year and also has heavy road traffic condition. Due to heavy traffic condition in India, heavy loading vehicles and other vehicles use pavement shoulder for passing or overtaking operation. Pavement Shoulder is made for some particular uses but heavy loading vehicle in one or two lane road use shoulder for pass away so that rutting of pavement shoulder happened. So it is necessity to improve strength, erosion control, and durability of shoulder for safety of road users for that we use geocell material at sub base or base layer of shoulder for giving better strength and it is also economical.
Abarar A. Khalak, Jayesh Juremalani, N. B. Parmar
Geocell, Earthen Shoulder, Soft Soil, Soil Reinforcement Technique, Falling Weight Deflectometer, Cellular Confinement System
- Ansgar Emersleben1 & Norbert Meyer2“ THE USE OF GEOCELLS IN ROAD CONSTRUCTIONS OVER SOFT SOIL: VERTICAL STRESS AND FALLING WEIGHT DEFLECTOMETER MEASUREMENTS.”EuroGeo4 paper number132
- Asha M Nair,Madhavi Latha Gali, “Use of Geocell as a reinforcing Material for unpaved road sections.conference paper- October 2014
- Chowdhury Swaraj, Suman Shakti, “A Review of studies on Geocell-reinforced Foundations”Research journal of recent sciences,vol.4(ISC—2014)
- G.L.Sivakumar Babu and Pawan kumar, “An Approch for Evaluation of use of Geocells in Flexible pavements”proceeding of Indian geotechnical conference December 13-15,2012.delhi
- G.Madhavi Latha,Asha M. Nair,M.S. Hemalatha“Performance of geosynthetics in unpaved roads”International journal of geotechnical engineering 2010
- Gourav Dhane,Dhiraj Kumar,Akash Priyadarshee, “Geocell:An emerging Technique of soil reinforcement in civil engineering field”.IOSR journal of Mechanical and civil engineering (IOSR-JMCE),National conference on Advances in Engineering, Technology & Management (AETM’15).
- IS1888. 1988. Method of load test on soils,Bureau of Indian Standards, New Delhi.
- K. Rajagopal, S. Chandramouli, Anusha Parayil and K. Iniyan, “Studies on geosynthetic-reinforced road pavement structures”International journal of Geotechnical engineering, Received - 13 dec.; Accepted - 10 January 2014.
- Manju G.S,Gali Madhavi Latha, “Interfacial friction properties of Geocell reinforced sand”IJIRSET,volume 2,special issue 1,December 2013
- Nazri Mohidin and Marolo C. Alfaro, “Soil-geocell reinforcement interaction by pullout and direct shear tests”2011 Pan-Am CGS Geotechnical Conference
- Richard J., Bathurst and Rajagopal Karpurapu“Large-Scale Triaxial Compression Testing of Geocell-Reinforced Granular Soils.”GTJODJ, vol. 16,No.3, September 1993
- S. Davarifard, S.N. Moghaddas Tafreshi“ Plate Load Tests of Multi-Layered Geocell Reinforced Bed Considering Embedment Depth of Footing.”Elsevier, WMESS-2015,
- S.K. Pokharel, J. Han, R.L. Parsons& Y. Qian,D. Leshchinsky, I. Halahmi“Experimental study on bearing capacity of geocell-reinforced bases”Bearing capacity of Roads,Railways and Airfields- Tutumluer & Al-Qadi (eds)2009 Taylor & Francis Group,London, ISBN 978-0-415-87199-0
- N.moghaddas Tafreshi, A.R. Dawson, B.Masek“Repeated load response of soil reinforced by two layers of geocell”Elsevier,WMESS2015,volume 15
- S.N. Moghaddas Tafreshi,O.Khalaj and A.R. Dawson, “Pilot-scale load tests of a combined multilayered geocell and rubber-reinforced foundation”Geosynthetics International,2013
- Sujit Kumar Dash,S. Sireeh, T.G. Sitharam, “Model studies on circular footing supported on geocell reinforced sand underlain by soft clay”Elsevier geotextiles and geomembranes 21(2003)
- Xinye HAN,Takashi KIYOTA,and Fumio TATSUOKA, “Interaction mechanism between Geocell reinforcement and gravelly soil by pullout tests,Bulletin of ERS, no.46 (2013)
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 1 | January-Febuary - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Abarar A. Khalak, Jayesh Juremalani, N. B. Parmar, "Critical Appraisal on Utilization of Geocell for Improving the Unpaved or Earthen Shoulder", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 1, pp.267-271, January-Febuary-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET162166.php