The mechanics of fiber reinforced composites are complex due to their anisotropic and heterogeneous characteristics. The present work is to evaluate the material properties of fiber reinforced composites for different volume fractions up to 60%. A numerical homogenization technique based on the finite element analysis (FEA) with unit cell was used to evaluate the material properties of unidirectional Kevlar fiber reinforced Epoxy composite. A three-dimensional single and multiple unit cell micromechanical models have been developed by using ANSYS software. The material properties obtained using the numerical homogenization techniques were compared with different analytical methods like rule of mixture, Halpin-Tsai, and periodic microstructure methods. The effect of volume fraction of fiber on predicted material properties of composite is also studied.
CH Sai Krishna, S Suneel Kumar, Siva Bhaskara Rao Devireddy, Anand Babu Kotta
Fiber composite, finite element analysis, Micromechanics, Unit cell, Volume fraction.
- Xia, Z., Zhang Y., Ellyin F. “A unified periodical boundary conditions for representative volume elements of composites and applications”, Int J Soli Struct., 40, (2003), 1907-1921.
- Srivastava V. K., Gabbert U., Berger H., Singh S. “Analysis of particles loaded fiber composites for the evaluation of effective material properties with the variation of shape and size”, Int J Eng Sci Tech., 3, (2011), 52-68.
- Chen X., Liu Y. “Multiple-cell modeling of fiber-reinforced composites with the presence of interphases using the boundary element method”, Compu Mat Sci., 21 (2001) 86-94.
- Wang H., Zhou H., Mishnaevsky L., Brøndsted P., Wang L., “Single fiber and multi fiber unit cell analysis of strength and cracking of unidirectional composites”, Comp Mat Sci., 46, (2009), 810-820
- Luciano R., Barbero E. J., “Formulas for the stiffness of composites with periodic microstructure”, Int. J. of Solids Struct., 31, (1995), 2933-2944.
- Aboudi J. “Micromechanical analysis of the strength of unidirectional fiber composites”, Composite Sci Tech., 33, (1988), 79-96.
- Barbero E. J. “Finite element analysis of composite materials”, First ed., CRC Press, 2011.
- Kari S., Berge H., Ramos R. R., Gabbert U. “Computational evaluation of effective material properties of composites reinforced by randomly distributed spherical particles”, Comp Struct., 77, (2007), 223–231.
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 1 | January-Febuary - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
CH Sai Krishna, S Suneel Kumar, Siva Bhaskara Rao Devireddy, Anand Babu Kotta, "Effect of Unit Cell on Elastic Properties of Fiber Reinforced Polymer Composite Materials", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 1, pp.282-286, January-Febuary-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET162171.php