In recent years, the applications based on the Wireless Sensor Networks are growing very fast. The application areas include agriculture, healthcare, military, hospitality management, mobiles and many others. So these networks are very important for us and the security of the network from the various attacks is also a more important issue in WSN application now days. Stopping these attacks or enhancing the security of the WSN system various intrusion detection policies are developed till date to detect the node/s that is/are not working normally. Out of various detection techniques three major categories explored in this paper are Anomaly detection, Misuse detection and Specification- based detection. Here in this review paper various attacks on Wireless Sensor Networks and existing Intrusion detection techniques are discussed to detect the compromised node/s. The paper also provides a brief discussion about the characteristics of the Wireless Sensor Networks and the classification of attacks.
Deepak singh Rajput, Nitesh Kumar Singh
Attacks, Intrusion detection, Intrusion detection techniques, Wireless sensor networks (WSN)
- F. Akyildiz, W. Su, Y. Sankarasubramaniam and E. Cayirci, Wireless sensor networks: A survey, Computer Network. 38, 2002, 393-422.
- J. Yick, B. Mukherjee and D. Ghosal, Wireless sensor network survey. Computer. Network, 52, 2008, 2292- 2330
- A.P.R.D. Silva, M.H.T. Martins, B.P.S. Rocha, A.A.F. Loureiro and L.B. Ruiz et al., Decentralized intrusion detection in wireless sensor networks, Proceedings of the 1st ACM International Workshop on Quality of Service and Security in Wireless and Mobile Networks, (QSSWMN; 25), 2005, 16-23.
- U. Bilstrup, K. S. Oberg, B. Svensson, and P.A. Wiberg, Capacity Limitations in Wireless Sensor Networks, Proceedings of ETFA2003, 9th IEEE International Conference on Emerging Technologies and Factory Automation, Lisbon, Portugal,2003, 16-19
- C. Karlof and D. Wagner, Secure Routing in Sensor Networks: Attacks and Countermeasures, In Proc. of First IEEE International Workshop on Sensor Network Protocols and Applications, 2003.
- F. Neri, Comparing local search with respect to genetic evolution to detect intrusions in computer networks, Proceedings of the 2000 Congress on Evolutionary Computation, 1, 2000, 238–243.
- S. Mukkamala, G. Janoski, and A. Sung, Intrusion detection using neural networks and support vector machines, International Joint Conference on Neural Networks IJCNN02, 2, 2002, 1702–1707
- J. Guan, D. X. Liu, and B. G. Cui, An induction learning approach for building intrusion detection models using genetic algorithms, Proceedings of Fifth World Congress on Intelligent Control and Automation WCICA, 5, 2004, 4339–4342.
- C. Kruegel, T. Toth, and E. Kirda, Service spe- cific anomaly detection for network intrusion detection, Proceedings of the 2002 ACM symposium on Applied computing, 2002, 201–208.
- J.E. Dickerson and J.A. Dickerson, Fuzzy network profiling for intrusion detection, Proceedings of NAFIPS 19th International Conference of the North American Fuzzy Information Processing Society, 2000, 301–306.
- S.B. Cho, Incorporating soft computing techniques into a probabilistic intrusion detection system, IEEE transactions on systems, man, and cybernetics part c: applications and reviews, 32, 2002, 154–160.
- K. Yoshida, Entropy based intrusion detection, Proceedings of IEEE Pacific Rim Conference on Communications, Computers and signal Processing (PACRIM2003), 2, 2003, 840–843.
- T. Song, J. Alves-Foss, C. Ko, C. Zhang, and K. Levitt, Using acl2 to verify security properties of specification-based intrusion detection systems, Fourth International Workshop on the ACL2 Theorem Prover and Its Applications (ACL2-2003), 2003.
- R. Sekar, A. Gupta, J. Frullo, T. Shanbhag, A. Tiwari, H. Yang, and S. Zhou, Specification-based anomaly detection: a new approach for detecting network intrusions, 9th ACM conference on Computer and communication security, 2002, 265–274,
- S. Mukkamala, G. Janoski, and A. Sung, Intrusion detection using neural networks and support vector machines
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 1 | January-Febuary - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Deepak singh Rajput, Nitesh Kumar Singh, "A Survey on Intrusion Detection in Wireless Sensor Networks", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 1, pp.459-468, January-Febuary-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET162190.php