Computational Techniques for the Functional Annotation of Hypothetical ORFS in Human Chromosome 3

Authors(2) :-Sivashankari Selvarajan, Piramanayagam Shanmughavel

In biochemistry, a hypothetical protein encoded by a hypothetical gene is a protein whose existence has been predicted, for which there is no experimental evidence for expression in vivo. As a result, the function of such genes is not known. Despite several efforts, only 50-60 % of genes have been annotated in most completely sequenced genomes and their functions are known. The rest 40% of the genes in any genome is totally unknown in terms of its functions. As of September 2010, there are around 637 genes encoded as Hypothetical in NCBI. So, the present investigation focused on functional annotation of hypothetical genes in the Chromosome 3 of the Human Genome.

Authors and Affiliations

Sivashankari Selvarajan
Assistant Professor in UGC, Innovative Programme, Department of Bioinformatics, Nirmala College for Women, Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, India
Piramanayagam Shanmughavel
Associate Professor, Department of Bioinformatics, Bharathiar University, Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, India

Annotation, Chromosome3, Function, Hypothetical Genes

  1. Ana Conesa,Stefan Götz, Juan Miguel García-Gómez, Javier Terol, Manuel Talón1and Montserrat Robles, Blast2GO: a universal tool for annotation, visualization and analysis in functional genomics research, Bioinformatics, 2005, Volume 21, Issue 18 Pp. 3674-3676.
  2. Geer LY, Marchler-Bauer A, Geer RC, Han L, He J, He S, Liu C, Shi W, Bryant SH. The NCBI BioSystems database. Nucleic Acids Res. 2010 Jan; 38(Database issue):D492-6.
  3. Krogh A, Larsson B, von Heijne G, Sonnhammer EL Predicting transmembrane protein topology with a hidden Markov model: application to complete genomes. J Mol Biol. 2001 Jan 19;305(3):567-80.
  4. Lei Kong, Yong Zhang, Zhi-Qiang Ye, Xiao-Qiao Liu, Shu-Qi Zhao, Liping Wei and Ge Gao, CPC: assess the protein-coding potential of transcripts using sequence features and support vector machine, Nucleic Acids Research, 2007, Volume 35, Issue suppl 2 Pp. W345-W349
  5. Murzin A. G., Brenner S. E., Hubbard T., Chothia C. (1995). SCOP: a structural classification of proteins database for the investigation of sequences and structures. J. Mol. Biol. 247, 536-540.
  6. Nakai K and Horton P. PSORT: a program for detecting sorting signals in proteins and predicting their subcellular localization, Trends Biochem Sci. 1999 Jan;24(1):34-6.
  7. Pandit SB, Gosar D, Abhiman S, Sujatha S, Dixit SS, Mhatre NS, Sowdhamini R, Srinivasan N, SUPFAM--a database of potential protein superfamily relationships derived by comparing sequence-based and structure-based families: implications for structural genomics and function annotation in genomes. Nucleic Acids Res. 2002 Jan 1;30(1):289-93.
  8. Robert D. Finn, Alex Bateman, Jody Clements, Penelope Coggill ,Ruth Y. Eberhardt, Sean R. Eddy, Andreas Heger, Kirstie Hetherington, Liisa Holm, Jaina Mistry, Erik L. L. Sonnhammer, John Tate and Marco Punta, Pfam: the protein families database, Nucleic Acids Research, 2013, Volume 42, Issue D1, Pp. D222-D230.
  9. Venter,J.C., Adams,M.D., Myers,E.W. et al. (2001) The sequence of the human genome. Science, 291, 1304–1351.

Publication Details

Published in : Volume 2 | Issue 2 | March-April 2016
Date of Publication : 2017-12-31
License:  This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 337-343
Manuscript Number : IJSRSET1622104
Publisher : Technoscience Academy

Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099

Cite This Article :

Sivashankari Selvarajan, Piramanayagam Shanmughavel, " Computational Techniques for the Functional Annotation of Hypothetical ORFS in Human Chromosome 3, International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 2, pp.337-343, March-April-2016.
Journal URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET1622104

Article Preview

Follow Us

Contact Us