In recent years, lingo cellulosic fibers are increasingly used as reinforcements in many thermoset and thermoplastic matrices for the production of low-cost and lightweight materials. Composites of Palmyra fruit fiber and epoxy have been prepared with various fiber volume fractions and tested. It is observed that with increase in fiber content there is considerable increase in strength. Similarly composites of different fiber weight fractions were prepared and epoxy as matrix material. Water absorption tests were performed to assess their performances. With the increase of fiber size water absorption capability of composites were increased due to the hydrophilic nature of fibers.
M. Venkateswarlu, M. Ashok Kumar, M. Nagakiran
Palmyra Fruit Fiber, Epoxy, Composites, Strength, Water Absorption
- Koronis. G., Silva. A., Fontul. M. “Green composites. A review of adequate materials for automotive applications,” International Journal of Mechanical Sciences, Vol.52 (2010), pp.874–891.
- Ahmed, A.S., Alam, M.A., Piee, A., Rahman, M.R. and Hamdan, S. “Study of Physical and Mechanical Properties of Oil Palm Empty Fruit Bunch Fiber Reinforced Polypropylene Composites,” Jou. of Energy and Environment, Vol.2, (2010) , pp.16-21
- Nicollier, C., and Mutasher, S.A. “Failure prediction on advanced grid stiffened composite cylinder under axial compression,” Composite Structures, Vol.93 (2011), 1939–1946.
- Jawaid, M., Abdul Khalil, H.P.S.,Bhat, A.H., and Abu Baker, A. “ Impact Properties of Natural Fiber Hybrid Reinforced Epoxy Composites,” Advanced Material Research, Vol.264-265, (2011) , pp.688-693.
- Rao. C.H., Kundalwal. S.I. and Ray, M.C. “Sensing of Damage and Healing in Three-dimensional Braided Composites with Vascular Channels,” Composites Science and Technology, Vol.72 (2012), pp. 1618–1626.
- Toutanji. H, Li. F. and Cheng. H.M. “Effective Properties of a Novel Continuous Fuzzy-fiber Reinforced Composite Using the Method of Cells and the Finite Element Method,” European Journal of Mechanics of Solids, Vol. 36 (2012), pp. 191-203.
- Razak, N. W. A. and Kalam, A. “Effect of OPEFB Size on the Mechanical Properties and Water Absorption Behaviour of OPEFB/PP nanoclay/PP Hybrid Composites,” Procedia Engineering Vol.41 (2012) pp.1593 – 1599.
- Velumurugan, G., Vadivel, D., Aravind, R., Vengatesan, S.P. and Mathizhagan, A. “Tensile Test Analysis of Natural Fibre Reinforced Composites,” Int. Jou. of Mechanical and
- Industrial Engineering, Vol.2, Issue-4, 2012, pp.56-60.
- Boopathi, L, Sampath, P.S., Mylsamy, K. “ Influence of Fiber Length in the Wear Behaviour of Borassus Fruit Fibre Reinforced Epoxy Composites,” Int. Jou. of Engineering Science and Technology, Vol.4, Sept. 2012, pp. 4119-4129.
- Ogbuagu, A.S., Ekpunobi, U.E., Onwuka, T.N., and Okeye, N.H., “Pulp and Paper Making Potential of Palmyra Fruit Fiber Borassus Flabelifar,” Der Chemica Sinica, Vol. 4, (2013), pp. 19-24.
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 2 | March-April - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
M. Venkateswarlu, M. Ashok Kumar, M. Nagakiran, "Development and Mechanical Characterization of Palmyra Fruit Fiber Reinforced Epoxy Composites", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 2, pp.40-44, March-April-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET162211.php