With the recent development of 3D display technologies, there is an increasing demand for realistic 3D video. However, efficient transmission and storage of depth data still presents a challenging task to the research community in these applications. Consequently a new method, called 3D Image Warping Based Depth Video Compression (IW-DVC) is proposed for fast and efficient compression of 3D video by using Huffman coding. The IW-DVC method is to exploit the special properties of the depth data to achieve a high compression ratio which preserves the quality of the captured images. This method combines the egomotion estimation and 3D image warping techniques and includes a lossless coding scheme which is capable of adapting to depth data with a high dynamic range. IWDVC operates in high-speed, suitable for real-time applications, and is able to attain an enhanced motion compensation accuracy compared with the conventional approaches. Also, it removes the existing redundant information between the depth frames to further increase compression efficiency without sacrificing image quality.
S. Monica, R. Prabha
Depth map, motion compensation, Huffman codingDepth map, motion compensation, Huffman coding
- Xiaoqin Wang, Y. Ahmet S¸ ekercioglu, Senior Member, IEEE, Tom Drummond, Member, IEEE, Enrico Natalizio, Member, IEEE, Isabelle Fantoni, Member, IEEE, and Vincent Fremont, ´ Member, IEEE (2015) “Fast Depth Video Compression For Mobile RGB-D Sensors” IEEE Transactions On Circuits And Systems For Video Technology, Vol. 25, No .7 PP 1 – 14.
- Julio Cesar Stacchini de Souza, Senior Member, IEEE, Tatiana ariano Lessa Assis, Senior Member, IEEE, and Bikash Chandra Pal, Fellow, IEEE (2014) “Data Compression in Smart Distribution Systems via Singular Value Decomposition” IEEE Transactions On Smart Grid, Vol 5, No 3 PP. 40-50.
- Alain Horé and Djemel Ziou (2010) “Image quality metrics: PSNR vs. SSIM” International Conference on Pattern Recognition.
- Jose Javier García Aranda1 , Marina González Casquete, Mario Cao Cueto, Joaquín Navarro Salmerón, Francisco González Vidal, (2012) “Logarithmical hopping encoding: a low computational complexity algorithm for image compression” IET Image Process., 2015, Vol. 9, Iss. 8, pp. 643–651.
- Gary J. Sullivan, Fellow, IEEE, Jens-Rainer Ohm, Member, IEEE, Woo-Jin Han, Member, IEEE, and Thomas Wiegand, Fellow, IEEE (2012) “Overview of the High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC) Standard” IEEE Transactions On Circuits And Systems For Video Technology, Vol. 22, No. 12 , PP 1649- 1668.
- Gerhard Tech, Ying Chen, Senior Member, IEEE, Karsten Müller, Senior Member, IEEE, Jens-Rainer Ohm, Member, IEEE, Anthony Vetro, Fellow, IEEE, and Ye-Kui Wang (2016) “Overview of the Multiview and 3D Extensions of High Efficiency Video Coding” IEEE Transactions On Circuits And Systems For Video Technology, Vol. 26, NO. 1, PP 35- 49.
- Yusra A. Y. Al-Najjar, Dr. Der Chen Soong (2012) “Comparison of Image Quality Assessment: PSNR, HVS, SSIM, UIQI” International Journal of Scientific & Engineering Research, Volume 3, Issue 8.
- D. Taubman and M. Marcellin, Eds., JPEG2000: Image Compression Fundamentals, Standards and Practice. Springer, 2002.
- T. Wiegand, G. J. Sullivan, G. Bjontegaard, and A. Luthra, “Overview of the H. 264/AVC Video Coding Standard,” IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, vol. 13, no. 7, pp. 560–576, 2003.
- Gary J. Sullivan, Fellow, IEEE, Jill M. Boyce, Senior Member, IEEE, Ying Chen, Senior Member, IEEE, Jens-Rainer Ohm, Member, IEEE, C. Andrew Segall, Member, IEEE, and Anthony Vetro, Fellow, IEEE (2013) “Standardized Extensions of High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC)” IEEE JOURNAL OF SELECTED TOPICS IN SIGNAL PROCESSING, VOL. 7, NO. 6, PP 1001-1016.
- Hui Li Tan, Member, IEEE, Chi Chung Ko, Senior Member, IEEE, and Susanto Rahardja, Fellow, IEEE (2015) “Fast Coding Quad-Tree Decisions Using Prediction Residuals Statistics for High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC)” IEEE Transactions On Broadcasting Vol. 20, No. 4, PP. 146-151.
- Margaret H. Pinson, Lark Kwon Choi, and Alan Conrad Bovik, Fellow, IEEE (2014) “Temporal Video Quality Model Accounting for Variable Frame Delay Distortions” IEEE Transactions On Broadcasting, VOL. 60, NO. 4, PP 637- 649.
- S. Grewatsch and E. Miiller, “Sharing of Motion Vectors in 3D Video Coding,” in Proceedings of the International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP 2004), vol. 5, Singapore, 2004, pp. 3271–3274.
- Thiow Keng Tan, Senior Member, IEEE, Rajitha Weerakkody, Marta Mrak, Senior Member, IEEE, Naeem Ramzan, Senior Member, IEEE, Vittorio Baroncini, Jens-Rainer Ohm, Member, IEEE, and Gary J. Sullivan, Fellow, IEEE (2016) “Video Quality Evaluation Methodology and Verification Testing of HEVC Compression Performance” IEEE Transactions On Circuits And Systems For Video Technology, VOL. 26, NO. 1, PP 76- 90
- Y. Iano, F. Ponchet Member IEEE (2008) “Distributed Video Coding Using Turbo Codes and Second Generation Wavelets” IEEE Latin America Transactions, VOL. 6, NO. 7, PP 565- 571.
- Yu Gao, Member, IEEE, Gene Cheung, Senior Member, IEEE, Thomas Maugey, Member, IEEE, Pascal Frossard, Senior Member, IEEE, and Jie Liang, Senior Member, IEEE (2016) “Encoder-Driven Inpainting Strategy in Multiview Video Compression” IEEE Transactions On Image Processing, VOL. 25, NO. 1, PP 134- 149
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 2 | March-April - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
S. Monica, R. Prabha, "Compression of 3D Video Using Huffman Coding", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 2, pp.572-575, March-April-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET1622159.php